Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-17-18, 12:35 PM  
bfit

Does anyone here really really dislike Zumba?

I feel bad for being such a grouch about this, but I really really dislike Zumba. I just don't understand why it is still so popular. I've tried several of the workouts that you can buy and haven't even made it through an entire workout. It's hard to follow, and the "weights" they use aren't heavy enough to do anything. My community center has 15 (!) Zumba classes a week, and they are all full. At those classes it doesn't seem like people are really doing very much - mostly clapping and shouting. A friend that I used to see swimming laps has now told me she's changed from that to Zumba instead. I just don't get it. Am I the only one who feels this way? Am I missing something that others see? I'm 60 and consider myself an intermediate exerciser. I like a variety of kinds of workouts, and I'm not an advanced work out until you drop kind of exerciser, but I just don't see the benefit of paying so much for Zumba. What does anyone else think?
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 12:44 PM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Zumba's popularity is a complete mystery to me, too.

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 12:47 PM  
NotThatGirl

I tried to like Zumba and it just isn't my cup of tea. To be fair, I don't really like anything dance-y despite trying really hard in the past to get into it. I get that it's popular but you're not going to find me in there. I'm also not a joiner or into mandatory fun of any kind lol so...
NotThatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 12:55 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
I feel bad for being such a grouch about this, but I really really dislike Zumba. I just don't understand why it is still so popular. I've tried several of the workouts that you can buy and haven't even made it through an entire workout. It's hard to follow, and the "weights" they use aren't heavy enough to do anything. My community center has 15 (!) Zumba classes a week, and they are all full. At those classes it doesn't seem like people are really doing very much - mostly clapping and shouting. A friend that I used to see swimming laps has now told me she's changed from that to Zumba instead. I just don't get it. Am I the only one who feels this way? Am I missing something that others see? I'm 60 and consider myself an intermediate exerciser. I like a variety of kinds of workouts, and I'm not an advanced work out until you drop kind of exerciser, but I just don't see the benefit of paying so much for Zumba. What does anyone else think?
Have you tried a class, or just the DVDs? Because I don't like any of the DVDs I tried - the generic music is awful - and while the video games at least have better music, I still don't like them as much as a good Zumba class. There's something about moving in rhythm with a whole group of people that raises the endorphins more than doing it by myself. I'm not saying you *should* try it if the idea really turns you off, but a class with a good instructor is miles above the video versions.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 01:09 PM  
cherimac

I don’t like dance based cardio period.
Old 01-17-18, 01:11 PM  
Erica H.

I tried a class while on vacation last year and hated it. I won't ever do it again. The instructor and music were great - it just wasn't for me.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 01:38 PM  
Orlita

For me, it depends on the instructor. I had one that I tried through Classpass and I liked it quite a bit. But when a substitute teacher taught one day, it was too frenetic and not enjoyable. There was another class I tried that was HUGE (like 75-100 people), and the instructor had enormous energy and really commanded the room, but something about the smaller class (6-8 students) with the teacher I loved appealed to me more. She also played more pure salsa, rather than "exercise salsa" or whatever.

That said, I would not make it my main workout. And now that I'm down to only 3 classes per month through Classpass, I choose pilates, barre & yoga instead.
Orlita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 01:53 PM  
jusca

I love dancing although I mostly dislike Zumba. I hate the no cues and the music.

Yup, I hated Zumba for years. I went to a live class with a friend and I enjoyed just being able to dance and the group setting. I never did Zumba after that though. I did take a chance on some Zumba DVD set a few months ago because the sale was too good to pass up. I can tolerate those workouts as they have cues.

I thought the Zumba craze died about 5 years ago.
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 02:15 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

About 10 years ago, I had a friend who was a certified Zumba instructor. She was just starting out and was trying to build a following, so she asked me and a few other friends to try out her classes. I took a few just to be a good friend, but I didn't care for it at all. I wasn't sure if it was because she was new at it or not, so I took some classes where I work (we have a Zumba class every week) with an experienced instructor and still didn't like it, so it's just not for me. I don't like how there was no cueing in the classes I took and I felt completely lost...like you had to know how to Latin dance before you could take Zumba.

I have another friend who has a cousin who retired years ago and became Zumba Gold certified and is doing really well teaching Zumba at nursing homes and senior centers.

I don't understand the appeal of it and I don't like group exercise as a general rule anyway, but if it helps some people get up and move then it's all good.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 02:27 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliepie View Post
Zumba's popularity is a complete mystery to me, too.
Zumba itself is a complete mystery to me. I need cuing!

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dislike, zumba