Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-06-16, 06:03 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Tipping hair stylist question

If you go to a hair stylist that rents their own chair and charges more than any person should charge for a color and cut- do you tip them too?

I thought if they were the owner, you don't and really shouldn't. This lady has her own business pretty much. I'm only going so expensive since my dd is doing some drastic stuff. I think the stylist will be pretty adequately compensated by her normal charges. This is in a middle class city and I'm expecting double the cost of a mid level salon. But if I get what I'm expecting to pay for, I don't want to stiff someone either.

(on another note, why do pedi/mani people look so surprised at 20%?) Do most people just give them a dollar or two? These services are half of what they were in the tiny western state that I used to live in and I'm kind of shocked that people only tip 10% or so.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-16, 06:13 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I always thought you didn't need to rip the owner, but I once asked at my place and was told that everyone appreciates tips. I tip my stylist and she's the owner of the salon. It would be nice if she wouldn't accept. I go once a month and, depending on what I get done, the tip is either $10 or $20. Regardless of the total charge, I refuse to tip more than $20.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-16, 06:19 PM  
upperwside

Im my opinion (before children and moving to another country. . I was a high end NYC stylist and colorist). If a stylist is the owner with employees. . Tips are not customary. Most salon owners will turn it down. If the stylist is renting a chair.. it's nice to tip. They may be paying high rent and spending a good amount on quality products and tools. As for manicure and pedicures. . I'm saddened how little they are tipped. There was a eye opening two part article in the NY Times about nail salons. The workers get paid squat and work all day with caustic chemicals. I tipped big before the article and now tip huge. Give them cash and give it directly to them.
upperwside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-16, 06:26 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperwside View Post
Im my opinion (before children and moving to another country. . I was a high end NYC stylist and colorist). If a stylist is the owner with employees. . Tips are not customary. Most salon owners will turn it down. If the stylist is renting a chair.. it's nice to tip. They may be paying high rent and spending a good amount on quality products and tools. As for manicure and pedicures. . I'm saddened how little they are tipped. There was a eye opening two part article in the NY Times about nail salons. The workers get paid squat and work all day with caustic chemicals. I tipped big before the article and now tip huge. Give them cash and give it directly to them.
Nail people, after that article I always worry i might be supporting slavery or indentured servitude. I always give the tips right to the person who did my nails.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-16, 07:40 PM  
bubbles76

What is customary to tip when you go to a salon? Does it depend on what you get done?
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-16, 07:44 PM  
Dorothy J
VF Supporter

My stylist charges plenty (but she's worth it & I love her!) and I tip 20%. I bump it up to 25% around her birthday & Christmas and then skip the ridiculousness of trying to find the perfect "little something" gift for her.

"You want to go into life feeling great, feeling strong, and as you get older, feeling even stronger!" Gin Miller
Dorothy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-16, 08:39 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i only get my hair cut - i do my own coloring. the cut costs $30, and i usually tip $6, enough for her to buy lunch. and this is the owner that I've been going to.

my usual gal quit - i hate that - because you can't really ask where she went!

this happened to me 2x before with another stylist. i happened to run into her at the mall, about a 30 min drive from where we live. that was totally by chance! anyhoo, in both situations, she left for better pastures, one to go to a better salon, and the 2nd time to open her own.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-16, 08:55 PM  
bubbles76

I get a wash, blow out, and trim. I usually tip 20% as well, and I only go a few times a year. Glad to see I have been tipping correctly

ETA: I tip more if I have to bring Tiny Bubble. He is never a problem, but the fact that he COULD be and that I may have to check on him leads me to tip more.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-16, 09:15 PM  
mlroman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I tip more if I have to bring Tiny Bubble.
"Tiny Bubble". *squeal!* This made me smile so hard!

Still just bein' a mel...
mlroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-16, 09:29 PM  
Sancho
VF Supporter

Location: My body is in Louisville but my heart is in Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlroman View Post
"Tiny Bubble". *squeal!* This made me smile so hard!
I agree! But we've been mentioning "Tiny Bubble" for awhile. Is the bubble still tiny ?
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tipping, tipping hairstylist, tipping restaurants