Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-11-20, 10:39 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
I’ve been spending next to nothing on food. I’m mostly eating cereal and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
Ugh. I just can't eat like that. I would for sure be sick.

We are spending much less on food. We do a better job of meal planning and shop less. We haven't changed how we eat though....lots of fresh produce. My entire family is living here (3 adult children, 11 year old daughter). We cook from scratch, daily.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-20, 10:52 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperwside View Post
I on average spend $ 500 to 600 a week on groceries and takeout, this includes cleaning supplies and toilet paper etc. It's definitely less now. We are a family of 4. My kids are eating less as they aren't as active. My son is usually on the ice everyday, twice a day twice a week, and my daughter usually trains 18 hours a week. My husband usually is on the ice 3 to 4 times a week. With that cut, they are eating and snacking less.. So saving me. Groceries are more expensive in Canada. I'm shocked when I go home to N.Y. and see how cheap groceries are!! I just bought a small flank steak, enough for a dinner for 4 and it was $34 and a pack of 16 boneless\skinless chicken thighs cost me $29. So groceries will definitely add up, especially I'd you buy extra to freeze or stock the pantry. I have not noticed a price increase since covid. Much less expensive back home. .. But I'm very happy living here and raising my kids here, so worth it.
Wow that’s expensive! I’m in Canada too, on the west coast, chicken is not that pricey here. We eat very little beef as it has expensive for quite a while.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-20, 11:37 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer R View Post
Don't fret about those "expiration dates". They're mainly suggestions for rotating stock on store shelves and have zero to do with whether food is safe to eat.
https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/...dates-matter#1
https://www.epicurious.com/expert-ad...s-mean-article
We have some 20+ years-old freeze-dried, nitrogen-packed emergency food we recently opened up. It was actually OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
I’ve been spending next to nothing on food. I’m mostly eating cereal and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
That's me if I was single. I'd live on beans, rice, cabbage and peanut butter. I'm not a vegetarian, but eat so little meat that if it disappeared as a food choice, I'd be fine.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-20, 11:35 PM  
Sand

I went this morning to pick up my weekly Walmart grocery order and they were out of all the meats I ordered: Ground beef, pork chops, sausage, chorizo and chicken breasts. I also ordered two cartons of eggs but they only had one.

I ordered bags of pinto beans and chickpeas but noticed that they have been putting limits on legumes as well. All my fresh produce was available!

We haven't had any takeout since before our city shut down and I've been cooking everything from scratch. Nothing has gone to waste! On the windowsill, I have green onions sprouting from the roots. We had apples that we getting soft and I made applesauce from them. All the egg whites leftover from making my own frozen custard were transformed into waffles. I have been put a dent in using gadgets I rarely use!

The one splurge I made since the quarantine started was to purchase a wooden tortilla press. I had always wanted one but couldn't justify the price because being in El Paso, it has always been so much easier to buy freshly made tortillas. It has been totally worth the splurge! I've made both corn and flour tortillas. I figure that it'll also be good to make dumplings and empanadas as I have a hard time rolling out doughs.

https://www.amazon.com/11-5-Hardwood...f=hnd_adp_tp_1
Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-20, 11:00 AM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

I find I've been spending less money on groceries but that may be because I'm already pretty well stocked up. I have a huge standing freezer that's pretty full.

The one thing I did splurge on is buying some meat since it appears it's getting scarce. I went to a local small butcher and they had plenty! The only red meat I eat is buffalo/bison so I got tons of that, a little bit of pork and some chicken.
Plus I fast (one meal a day) so haven't had to buy extra food anyway.

Hang in there friends! It has got to pass someday. Right?

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-20, 12:39 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Probably the same on overall food costs but much less on takeout, a lot more on grocery and a bit more on alcohol . I think the grocery bills should be decreasing for a couple of weeks, since I've filled the freezer with soups, stews and chili and I should only need to order produce and perishables until we eat down some of the freezer contents.
Old 05-12-20, 12:45 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I think we're spending about the same. I usually keep a strict budget but I've gotten a little slack with it lately. We don't typically eat out much, but we are trying to get take out sometimes to support local restaurants. While it's true that there are fewer deals at the market, my husband has found a local restaurant supply market that has opened to the public, since they is less restaurant traffic. He's gotten some really good deals there, so that probably offsets some of the other expenses.

We also have our vegetable garden up and running. It doesn't supply us with everything, but it helps! Last night I went out and harvested some greens and used four eggs from our chickens. I threw it all in a pan with some leftover meat that my husband had grilled over the weekend. It was sort of an odd hash of sorts, but everyone loved it! Imagine that....
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-20, 03:02 PM  
warriorprincess

Ugh, spending about the same but getting much less. Instacart adds quite the premium on each item you buy, in addition to the delivery fees, service fees, and tip. But since there are items like meat and many veggies that I'm not buying sight unseen, I'm buying fewer items.

Amazon is a great deal, but I only get Pantry here, and they don't carry much of what we eat.

This morning, I discovered a farmer's market that buys from local farmers just down the road from me that has a drive-through, where you order during the week and pick up Saturday morning without getting out of your car. I'm excited about trying that out. They also buy from local fishermen. I always thought it was nuts that I live on the coast where fishing is a big tourist industry, but all the stores carry fish from South America.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-20, 07:48 PM  
upperwside

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
Wow that’s expensive! I’m in Canada too, on the west coast, chicken is not that pricey here. We eat very little beef as it has expensive for quite a while.
My sister in law is in West Vancouver.. Cheaper there than here on some groceries. I'm in downtown Toronto.. I pay way more here then my mother in law 30 minutes out of the city at the same store, loblaws.
upperwside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-20, 07:58 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperwside View Post
My sister in law is in West Vancouver.. Cheaper there than here on some groceries. I'm in downtown Toronto.. I pay way more here then my mother in law 30 minutes out of the city at the same store, loblaws.
Yes prices always seem to be more in the big city. I’m semi rural, about 2 hours from Victoria on the Island.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19