Never have I been a blue calm sea
I have always been a storm

Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diane
amoodygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-20, 04:06 PM  
topfitmama

I saw a woman with what looked like naturally gray hair today. I couldn't help but think that it looked beautiful!

I visited the site of the hair stylist and I can't imagine putting my hair through that! To each her own, I guess.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-20, 04:41 PM  
Gams

I used to work with a woman who, every time she found a gray hair, would pluck it. I used to tell her someday she would be bald after plucking out all her hair. 😁
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-20, 05:45 PM  
Calistro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
A woman I know took a third route: she shaved her head. Everyone thought she had cancer, of course, but eventually her hair has grown in beautifully. Actually, she may have had other reasons for shaving her head -- I don't feel I know her well enough to ask.

As for whether or not it ages..... sometimes it seems it does, but when I see all those women on the jackmartincolorist page -- wow, not aging, just gorgeous!
I am not sure about that third route. I cannot picture myself bald, but it looks beautiful on some women.
I think any woman with confidence can pull it off (grey or bald).
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-20, 05:47 PM  
Calistro

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfitmama View Post
I had to laugh at this!
Sorry me too
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-20, 11:03 PM  
Eibhinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddj View Post
I don't know how old Ellen is, but is it normal to go gray that early?
I think it increasingly is. I just turned 40. When I was growing up, I didn't know ANY women who let their hair go grey before they turned 65 or 70. But most of the women I know my age seem to be just letting their grey hairs come in naturally. Or at least the ones who are just starting to go grey in their 40s - my cousin started going grey at 18 and she's been dyeing her hair for decades now.

I think the hipster trend of dyeing hair grey maybe paved the way for grey hair to be more associated with younger people, or at least reduced the stigma associated with it. It probably also increased demand for hairstylists who know how to oomph up grey hair and make it look great.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-20, 08:24 AM  
carolyn jane

I thought it was against the rules of this forum to discuss an instructor's appearance????
carolyn jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-20, 08:48 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn jane View Post
I thought it was against the rules of this forum to discuss an instructor's appearance????
My take on that rule was that we should refrain from criticizing weight, body type, or ahem "work." I don't see a problem with praising a woman for letting her hair go gray and looking beautiful in it. Ellen is a sort of role model for some of us and it's reassuring for us VF'ers who might be struggling with the decision to stop coloring our hair and go natural.

I've seen the rule enforced for things like "she looks anorexic," "she's fat," "she's masculine" etc.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-20, 11:40 AM  
Leonana

I have fair skin and dark brown hair. I'm 60, and am about 1/3 gray. Fortunately, it's a white, silvery gray, and looks like highlights threaded through the brown. Although, it makes my dark brown hair look a lighter brown, until you look at it closely. My hair was always fine and straight, but thick. Now, it's thinner, but it's a coarser, wavy texture, so it doesn't look thinner. I kind of like the fluffier, fuller look. I did color for a few years, but got tired of it, and let it go gray a couple of years ago. What really bothers me is plucking out a gray hair in my eyebrows. That's going to be interesting, figuring out what to do with them when they are mostly gray.

My husband is 58 and has no gray whatsoever! Just thick, wavy dark brown hair. However, he has gray in his beard when he lets it grow out.
Old 01-30-20, 11:40 AM  
violingal3

Wow, she looks amazing, love the hair!
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, ellen barrett, going gray, gray hair, grey hair, hair