Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-02-19, 01:39 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercat View Post
Go inside to pay for your gas!
Sorry it happened to you, but thank you for the reminder. I needed to be reminded of it. I use my debit card to pay for gas and while I've been lucky so far, I know better! Easier to resolve fraudulent charges on credit cards than debit cards.
Old 12-03-19, 03:06 PM  
primrosecat

I am so sorry you lost your fur baby. That is a heart breaker.
primrosecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-19, 03:23 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

sorry about your cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
I had unauthorized charges this week on both my credit card and debit card. The one that really ticked me off was a couple (large) charges at Amazon. And then I was upset because when I called them they suggested I must have given out my credit card number - I told them I NEVER do that. Then they did an investigation and sent me an e-mail say their investigation showed my account was secure. So I called them again and said they better do a better job investigating because someone used my card number to charge a $231.00 book and some other stuff, so my account is NOT secure.
I would also report it to your CC company.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-19, 09:48 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messe View Post
I'm in a holding pattern until my new credit and debit cards arrive sometime next week.
I am SO sorry to hear this!!! I hope everything works out ok.

Your statement above about the bank...this annoys me the most... the waiting... As much as I want to use our credit union for checking, I don't. A couple of local banks can replace your card in minutes following a thorough security check. Our credit union takes 7-10 days at a minimum. Good grief.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-19, 09:51 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbuko View Post
My debit card was hacked last year, just a week or two before Christmas. Multiple charges from AirBNB which I have never used, nor will I ever use them because it happened again just a week ago. Luckily my bank has a good loss prevention team who reached out to me to authorize the charge and I did not lose money. Last year when it happened I had used the card to tank up my car and my daughter told me that gas stations are notorious for being hacked so I have never used it since then to buy gas; I always pay with cash. This year though, I hadn't even used my card recently so I asked my bank how does this happen. He said the scammers could have got hold of my card number months ago and then just bet on me having the same card number now. It was another AirBnB charge this time. I don't know exactly how these scams operate, but I kind of blame AirBnb. There must be something going on there that facilitates these scams.

ETA: I just re-read your post, and I'm so very sorry for your loss.
They are right - they usually get your number and hang on to it for a bit - sometimes selling it to someone else to use. It's crazy out there.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Old 12-03-19, 09:52 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

Gams, I am so very, very sorry for your loss. (Hugs) to you.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Old 12-04-19, 12:58 PM  
angie_nrs

Gams - my heart breaks for you. One of our dogs died in the middle of the night at our home while she was fighting a nasty virus. It's not any easier having your baby die at home. Take comfort in the fact that you gave Malcom a happy life, which is the best any of us can do.

As far as the card issue, I don't have a debit card b/c I don't want anyone having direct access to my accounts. I use credit cards and thankfully have only had one unauthorized charge the whole time I had it and the CC company notified me immediately. Typically I only use a CC online and everything else I pay cash for. No fuss, no muss.

I also always check every single charge on my CC when I get my statement and match them to receipts. I think thieves strike at this time of year b/c people charge more this time of year and expect a large bill but don't necessarily check to make sure all of the charges are legit. Be vigilent out there folks! Tis the season......
Old 12-04-19, 02:34 PM  
Messe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbee View Post
I am SO sorry to hear this!!! I hope everything works out ok.

Your statement above about the bank...this annoys me the most... the waiting... As much as I want to use our credit union for checking, I don't. A couple of local banks can replace your card in minutes following a thorough security check. Our credit union takes 7-10 days at a minimum. Good grief.
My new credit card arrived yesterday. My (get ready for it) new voter ID arrived today. Everything else is still temporary or on the way.

One really sweet moment happened over the weekend when I asked the manager of one of my favorite stores whether the store still accepts checks and explained why I was asking. He said no but offered to let me charge whatever I wanted to his personal card because he knew I'd pay him back. Did big old tears well up in my eyes? Oh, yes, they did!

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-19, 03:03 PM  
CharM

I'm sorry that you're dealing with this, Gams, especially after suffering such a loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie_nrs View Post
I also always check every single charge on my CC when I get my statement and match them to receipts.
I don't even wait for my statement. I sign into my account every other day or two all year long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messe View Post
One really sweet moment happened over the weekend when I asked the manager of one of my favorite stores whether the store still accepts checks and explained why I was asking. He said no but offered to let me charge whatever I wanted to his personal card because he knew I'd pay him back. Did big old tears well up in my eyes? Oh, yes, they did!
thanks for sharing this

In case you all haven't done so, set up alerts with your bank/credit cards. They won't necessarily stop the purchases from going through, but at least you'll be aware of it much quicker to stop further harm. I've set them up to let me know when money is withdrawn, transferred, a purchase made, etc. I only use my debit cards to withdraw or deposit cash/checks at the bank, never for purchases.
CharM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-19, 06:05 PM  
sugar rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
I’m still reeling from the loss of my little Malcolm last Monday.
Gams, I'm so sorry about the loss of your beloved Malcolm. Losing a pet is always so heartbreaking.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

William Shakespeare, Hamlet
sugar rose is offline   Reply With Quote