Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-04-18, 05:51 PM  
Daffie

Mandie,
I’m sorry for your situation!
My sister was told years ago that she had mitral valve prolapse. The first cardiologist I went to about 15 years ago said that many women in her age group where labeled with that but most likely not the true issue. The cardiologist I have now is the fourth one I’ve been to. The first three kind of shrugged their shoulders and told me that they didn’t know. Comforting! I’m grateful to have found my current doc through ER visit/hospital stay.
Daffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-18, 07:12 AM  
mandie123

Daffie,yes I think I was one of the first people diagnosed with mitral valve.I was 17 and Dr's had no idea what was wrong.Went to top cardiologists in Miami.For years was told can't do cardio(only walking) no weight lifting,antibiotics for any thing dental or medical.40 years later,now you can do anything-crazy.I still think I may end up with a valve replacement in the future.
Old 11-05-18, 09:33 PM  
KayB
VF Supporter

My oldest daughter suffered from paroxysmal atrial tachycardia since she was ten year old. In her early 30's she had an ablation. What relief!
KayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-19, 08:34 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Daffie, I was supposed to have an EP study with an ablation a few years back. I was having wide-complex tachycardia when I exercised. I had to have the study/ablation without sedation because my cardiologist figured I wouldn't have the arrhythmia for him to map it if I was sedated. Even without sedation, it was not an unpleasant or difficult procedure.

I ended up not having an ablation during the study because the doc had a eureka moment in the middle of it and we got it all figured out. However, my recovery was the same as if I'd had the ablation.

I was back to normal very quickly. Your doc will of course have restrictions for you. I abided by my restrictions, mostly; I just can't remember how long they were, but it wasn't super long, just a couple weeks or so. My energy was fine. I took a long walk in the mountains with my husband the next day... a gentle walk, nothing strenuous, but I felt well. No repercussions really.

Of course, you will likely be sedated, which I was not. That may take a couple days to work out of your system entirely.

I wish you the very best! I suspect you will feel BETTER once you recover!
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-19, 09:15 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

2018, 2019, heck, what's a digit here or there between friends??
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-19, 09:16 PM  
Daffie

Old 11-10-19, 10:36 PM  
primrosecat

I'm so sorry you have this to deal with, and I'm very sorry you lost your sister. My DH has had 2 ablations, years apart, for different reasons. The last was this summer when the surgeon, while replacing DH's defibrillator/pacemaker, was surprised to find a bad circuit in his heart. We had to wait 2 weeks for recovery before the surgeon could go back in to do the ablation. DH had no problems with this one or the prior one. Have you talked to your Dr about how soon you could back to work? If it is physical work, it could make a difference. As far as the surgery itself, after seeing DH have 2 ablations , I would not be as afraid as I would have been to have one myself. Some others I see have given you some very good information. Please let us know how you're doing when it's over. We would be there with you if we could.
primrosecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-19, 11:32 AM  
primrosecat

Just checking in to see how you are doing.
Old 11-23-19, 02:18 PM  
Daffie

Quote:
Originally Posted by primrosecat View Post
I'm so sorry you have this to deal with, and I'm very sorry you lost your sister. My DH has had 2 ablations, years apart, for different reasons. The last was this summer when the surgeon, while replacing DH's defibrillator/pacemaker, was surprised to find a bad circuit in his heart. We had to wait 2 weeks for recovery before the surgeon could go back in to do the ablation. DH had no problems with this one or the prior one. Have you talked to your Dr about how soon you could back to work? If it is physical work, it could make a difference. As far as the surgery itself, after seeing DH have 2 ablations , I would not be as afraid as I would have been to have one myself. Some others I see have given you some very good information. Please let us know how you're doing when it's over. We would be there with you if we could.
THANK YOU!
I had it done almost a year ago. Other than throwing up a lot right after the procedure and pain in incision site in groin for a few weeks it went well. A few minor episodes after but told that was normal. I had some palpitations over the summer but figured out it was because my Vit. D was too high. How is your husband?

Debbie
Old 11-27-19, 10:46 PM  
primrosecat

He came through the surgeries just fine last summer. This fall though, he was sick for 2 months with para-influenza plus his body was holding fluids making his heart failure worse. He went back into the hospital about a week. He is recovering Thanks for asking.