Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-19, 06:59 PM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlaVeg View Post
thanks for your input.... when u gals are wearing the fitbit or other trackers, how does it counts the steps in other types of workouts like zumba or circuit training? does the device counts these as steps towards your daily goal?
Hi Carla! I use a Fitbit Alta, which does not have a heartrate monitor. For workouts that aren't primarily step-based, I enter the workouts manually (using the phone app or website). That doesn't change my step count but does add to my daily calorie burn.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-19, 07:05 PM  
Mickey12

Carla, I wear a Fitbit Alta. I like it but also find it somewhat frustrating because it doesn’t necessarily count steps while doing a circuit workout. If you are doing movement with your legs, it should count steps. If you’re doing biceps curls, for example, it may count those as steps because you are moving your arm repetitively. But, if you’re doing static lunges, it probably won’t count them as steps. I feel like if I am getting my heart rate up (like with fairly fast paced static lunges) then it should count as steps. Alas, that’s not how it works.

I don’t do Zumba, but I think it would count steps during that type of workout.

I try for 10,000 steps a day but I don’t make it on days when my workout is strength or yoga. It used to bug me but I realized I was neglecting non-cardio exercise by simply focusing on my steps.

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-19, 12:39 AM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

Agreed with Kim. You have to move your arms around for the Fitbit to count the steps unless you put the device in your pants' pocket (which I sometimes do when pushing a stroller or when my hands are cold and thus shoved into jacket pockets for warmth!) I aim to get 10,000 steps per day and for the most part, unless I'm felled by a cough/cold bug and/or really inclement weather (not common in the SF Bay Area), I manage to attain this goal. On days with inclement weather or when my schedule stinks so I can't get in my steps "naturally" (lunch break stroll, running errands, chasing kids around), I'll resort to a Jessica Smith cardio/walking YouTube routine as an addendum. I do wear my Fitbit Alta HR for strength training and such so it probably counts my biceps curls (it's hard work!) towards my steps so I'm okay with that because I'm sweating anyway
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-19, 10:37 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieM View Post
I love my fitbit zip. It is small and I clip in on my bra in the morning and on my jammies at night. It only measures steps (which is all I want) and has a battery you can replace yourself.
I also have the Zip and am very happy with it.
Old 01-08-19, 11:51 AM  
frogribbit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlaVeg View Post
thanks for your input.... when u gals are wearing the fitbit or other trackers, how does it counts the steps in other types of workouts like zumba or circuit training? does the device counts these as steps towards your daily goal?
I use the Fitbit One and wear it clipped to the middle part of my bra and when doing other workouts besides walking it counts it as steps. Even when I'm riding my horse at a slow walk it will count it as steps.
frogribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-19, 01:01 PM  
CarlaVeg

so I have the first version of the iwatch and I found out last night that it counts steps. I never wear it... so I used it today when I went for on outdoor walk... I walked 4 miles and I am already at 11,283 steps today wow (by 1:00 pm)!!! I am so excited about this. I am a total step tracking newbie and this has me so excited!!!!

Carla
CarlaVeg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
step count