Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-07-19, 11:30 AM  
CarlaVeg

Daily Steps tracking

Hello ladies, it's been a LONG time since I posted! I hope you are all doing well!

How is the best way to track steps? and how many steps at day I should do for weight loss? Someone mention this may be a good motivator to become fit and lose some weight. Any info is appreciated!!!

Carla
CarlaVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-19, 01:31 PM  
Sissy B

Carla - I use a Fitbit to track my steps, but a simple pedometer would also work and some people track their steps on their phones.

We have a check-in that you're welcome to join -

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=224878

I have read that you should aim for 6000 steps a day for health and 10,000 steps a day to lose weight. Of course, there are other things that factor in that affect weight loss so that should also be taken in consideration.

I did lose 20-25# from April-August 2015 when I first started using my Fitbit, without tracking my food, just trying to watch portions and make better choices. I wasn't even reaching 10,000 steps consistently at the time, but it did make me more aware of how much (or honestly, how little) I was moving and helped me to add more activity to my day. I gained a few pounds back over the holidays that year, and was on track to lose it until we went through a very stressful couple of years starting in May 2016 until just recently. My goal this year is to get back on track.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-19, 01:33 PM  
LeslieM
VF Supporter

I love my fitbit zip. It is small and I clip in on my bra in the morning and on my jammies at night. It only measures steps (which is all I want) and has a battery you can replace yourself.
Old 01-07-19, 02:32 PM  
Diana3271

Hi Carla, Last year I moved into the "smart phone" era. The last couple of months I have made a goal of getting 10,000 steps in a day. I have lost a few pounds. I have also increased my workout time a bit but this combo has gotten the scale to start moving again.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-19, 02:37 PM  
rhbrand

This is the year I'm going to focus on increasing my steps.

I use a Fitbit. I'm going to track in Jan to see my average, then every month after that, increase my daily average by 500 steps until I'm averaging 10,000 a day.
Old 01-07-19, 02:58 PM  
frogribbit
VF Supporter

I use a Fitbit also and aim for 5 miles a day which turns out to be more like 12,000 steps for me. Most days those 5 miles include an actual cardio workout like a Jessica Smith walk video, HIIT, step workout etc.
frogribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-19, 03:06 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Red face

Hi Carla! I use a Fitbit Charge 2 for tracking steps among other things. I know you know that the D word is of utmost importance for weight loss, but the tracker definitely made me more aware of my general movement (or lack thereof) and was a motivator to just get up once an hour instead of sitting for long periods of time. Obviously moving burns more calories than sitting, so the tracker did help to some extent. I've had my current tracker for 2+ years and only lost weight in the last 6 months, so it's not "the" answer to weight loss for sure but it can't hurt.

rhbrand, I did the same thing when I got my first tracker roughly 4 years ago. I moved "as usual" for a week or so to see what my average was (abysmal--some days I barely reached 1,500) and then went from there. At first it was tough to get 10,000 per day, now I get 14,000+ easily since I believe walking more is now an ingrained habit.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-19, 04:09 PM  
rhbrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post

rhbrand, I did the same thing when I got my first tracker roughly 4 years ago. I moved "as usual" for a week or so to see what my average was (abysmal--some days I barely reached 1,500) and then went from there. At first it was tough to get 10,000 per day, now I get 14,000+ easily since I believe walking more is now an ingrained habit.
Give me hope! Somedays when its my day off, I'm lucky to get 3000 steps. I'm getting a few more housebreaking a new puppy. We take him out every couple hours, so that gets me an extra 1000 a day.
Old 01-07-19, 05:06 PM  
intelsana

I use a Fitbit charge 2 as well and I love it. I also track my sleep and workouts with it.
intelsana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-19, 06:42 PM  
CarlaVeg

thanks for your input.... when u gals are wearing the fitbit or other trackers, how does it counts the steps in other types of workouts like zumba or circuit training? does the device counts these as steps towards your daily goal?

Carla
CarlaVeg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
step count