Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-17, 09:40 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

To swerve a little - I don't see how qigong can strengthen bones. Excellent for range of motion and alleviating joint pain, improving spine mobility, of course.

Opinions on that, anyone?
Pat58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-17, 10:27 AM  
Pam

To try to answer your question Pat how QiGong could help strengthen bones, QiGong helps by keeping open keeping energetic pathways (meridians) open and by moving lymph and other body fluids throughout the body.

If you are upset or stressed, you can feel you body reacting to these emotions. QiGong treatments or QiGong practices can help by clearing these out. These are generally very noticeable reactions in the body. Some reactions are so noticeable, but are still effecting you. Physical illnesses also effect energy flows in the body, according to Chinese medicine.

I just finished the 3rd year of a 4 year Medical QiGong training program. A year from now I can become a Certified Medical QiGong Practitioner. I have been receiving and giving treatments to other students in the program. Definitely positive effects physically and mentally from the treatments and a little less so from the practices.

Edited to add: Chinese Medicine believes problems/illnesses are often caused by energy not moving the body as it should.
Old 12-01-17, 12:31 PM  
starbelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I think I would get the most use from his streaming seven minute segments to be honest.
I bought the 30 day series when it came out last year and still use it nearly every day. The scenery is beautiful and the sessions (most are 7 minutes, a few are 8 and one is only 6 minutes) fly by. I use them in the morning before yoga and like how the movements open my joints and get my energy moving. I have spent far more on programs that I use a lot less. You can download the videos so you don't need to rely on streaming if that is a concern.
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-17, 12:39 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
There is a bundle for Healthy Joints and Strong Bones, two separate DVDs. For $29.95, you get the two DVDs, free shipping plus a bonus guidebook. Not spending that kind of money now.

http://pod4.ymaa.com/holden-bones-joints-bundle
Actually, it says you can try them out for $29.95. If you scroll down the page, you get to have them for 90 days for $29.95. If you keep them, they'll charge your credit card another $29.95. Or you can pay $58 up front for the bundle. One of the reasons I bought mine on Amazon, even though they are the vendor there.

ETA - Just reread and they'll charge the second $29.95 after 30 days but you have 90 days to return them. Not clear how much you'll get refunded on the return. May only be the second charge.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-17, 12:43 PM  
starbelly

Now $17.97 on YMAA

The videos mentioned are now listed at $17.97. Postage is too expensive for me to consider, but it might help those in the US.
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-17, 12:50 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbelly View Post
I bought the 30 day series when it came out last year and still use it nearly every day. The scenery is beautiful and the sessions (most are 7 minutes, a few are 8 and one is only 6 minutes) fly by. I use them in the morning before yoga and like how the movements open my joints and get my energy moving. I have spent far more on programs that I use a lot less. You can download the videos so you don't need to rely on streaming if that is a concern.
Thank you! I appreciate your input.

Pam, your training sounds fascinating!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-17, 01:33 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Thank you for pointing that out, KarenJo! Ouch that's expensive.

Pam - I appreciate your feedback. I am forgetting the medical properties of qigong. Your medical qigong training sounds fascinating - as far as I know, there are no practitioners near me. I'd like to try it.
Pat58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-17, 02:15 PM  
Pam

Pat or Sherry-I wish you were closer and I would give you a free treatment. If anyone is in the Denver/Boulder area or the foothills of Colorado I would be glad to meetup for a treatment session. You stay fully clothed, minus shoes. Touching the patient is option and if the person feels comfortable touching it would be on your arms, legs or back.

Medical QiGong is the main form of medical treatment in China. It is growing in popularity in the Western part of the world as well. Where I take the classes the main practioners are booked months in advance.
Old 12-01-17, 11:16 PM  
Eibhinn

That YMAA site charges $25US priority or $42US express to ship a single DVD to Canada. No cheaper options. So, um... No.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-17, 01:38 AM  
Bearybuff

Silly question, but do you get to keep the 30 day challenge after 30 days? Streaming & subscription services and all.
Bearybuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lee holden, qi gong, qigong, ymaa