Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-12-16, 04:41 PM  
lorajc

Workout Shoes and Severe Bunions...Help?

Okay....so now I have bunions on both feet and some of my regular fitting shoes (used to be) are rubbing severely on my bunions like they are too narrow...have Nike's. I tried loosening them at the base and it still does it. I tried bunion pads and they did not help. I called my foot doc and he said to buy bigger shoes. Well, I can't have them falling off my feet.

What do I need to look for (when I get money...right now I'm broke...and will have to suffer)....but do you look for a shoe with simply a wider toe box made that way or do I need to look for a shoe in a wide width? Do they even make such things? The only large store I have around here (small city) is Dick's...so that's where I'll go try on...Please Help Me!!

thanks
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-16, 05:30 PM  
ardnas

I have a bad bunion on my left foot. Wearing Yoga Sandals and especially Yoga Toes at home as often as possible helps a lot. When not at home I do use a toe separator.
Don't buy a bigger shoe, look for a shoe with a wider toe box and one that actually offers a wider shoe sole, not just more material - which many shoe manufacturers do for their wider widths. IIRC Vionic, Alegria, (and maybe Clarks?) offer shoes with a wider sole. For athletic shoes I have found Reebok extra wides to be extremely comfortable and they do not rub on my bunion at all.
I did a quick search and saw Famous Footwear has some Nikes in a wide width, but I am not sure if the soles are wider or if they just add more material. You'd have to compare to what you have now to find out.
Old 08-12-16, 05:33 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I agree about the wider toe box...even better, try exercising without shoes if you can! It is possible to reverse the effects of bunions through spreading of the toes (as Sandra suggested, Yoga Toes is one method), and going barefoot as much as possible allows the toes to spread naturally.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-16, 06:15 PM  
PhyllisG

I don't have bunions and I don't wear a wide width. . Even so I find Nike too narrow. New Balance work for me and also Asics tho I don't find Asics as comfortable now as a few years ago. Saucony is a new favorite. Try a different brand ss a starter.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-16, 06:36 PM  
cherimac

Nikes are notorious for having a narrow toe box. I wear Altra Zero Drop and Mizuno. I have bunions and flat feet.
Old 08-13-16, 08:23 AM  
PrairieGem

I have bad pinky-toe bunions, and wide feet, so I do buy wides (and for running shoes, a size larger as recommended). But one thing I've found critical is making sure that the shoe's overlays don't get anywhere near my toes, and that there is only soft fabric there--no seams or anything that's going to put pressure on or be binding. Some companies actually call these 'bunion windows!'

This was such a huge revelation for me that I actually segued it into my summer shoes, and became a dedicated flip-flop wearer, and now I have happy feet in the summer for the first time in 20 years.

So like this shoe from Asics would be horrible:

But these are my current running shoes, the Brooks Ghost 7, and they're great. That overlay is just paint (or whatever), not sewn on; but even painted-on overlays that hit wrong can be problematic. (I wish I could find a picture of the top of the shoe, that shows how the overlays swoop down like the straps on a flipflop, well away from any ouchy bones.)

Mizumo offers some shoes with no overlays in the toe box at all. They will likely wear out faster, but you'll be more comfy!
Old 08-13-16, 10:16 AM  
kristiep

Nikes are too narrow for me. I have a normal foot, but Nikes never work for me.

Best workout shoe I've found is Ryka Influence. I have the original and bought several pairs when I knew I liked them and they were on sale at 6pm.com. (That site has a crappy return policy so warning if you're unsure of a shoe.)

I see Ryka has also moved to a version 2 and 2.5, but I've never purchased so cannot comment. The originals are still available online. They vary in price based on color and size. I normally wear a size 8M, but in athletic shoes I wear 8.5M with a thinner sock. My workouts tend to be circuit training with a mix of cardio and strength training. I do high impact moves (jumping jacks, high knees, butt kicks, etc.) and have never felt discomfort with my Influence shoes.
kristiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-16, 10:52 AM  
cherimac

That's EXACTLY why I wear Mizunos! When you're ready to purchase, you can find good deals on the last model when new ones are coming out. I got my last pair for $35 and they're usually $90 or more.
Old 08-13-16, 11:38 AM  
Dorothy J
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisG View Post
I don't have bunions and I don't wear a wide width. . Even so I find Nike too narrow. New Balance work for me and also Asics tho I don't find Asics as comfortable now as a few years ago. Saucony is a new favorite. Try a different brand ss a starter.
I was just about to post & this is exactly what I would have said...except I DO have bunions. New Balance tends to have a wider toe box while keeping the heels narrow enough for me. Although, the last pair of 608s (have used them for years) I bought feels way different & not nearly as comfortable.

Was thrilled with Asics Gel Kayano for a year, then went back & bought the same style/size and they felt different/not as good.

Using Saucony for walking, not workout, right now & they are very comfortable for me.

"You want to go into life feeling great, feeling strong, and as you get older, feeling even stronger!" Gin Miller
Dorothy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-16, 03:45 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I have feet issues and agree with barefoot workouts. It's good to get our feet our of shoes and strengthen them. Shoes...intended to support and protect, often inhibit and create imbalances.

For outdoor walking I wear New Balance or Asics. Nikes don't work for me or anything with a pointy or narrow toe box. I've recently discovered Jambu shoes and they are wonderful for casual wear. I like Naot or Dansko also.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bunions, foot injury, foot pain, foot surgery