Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-23-16, 11:26 AM  
Sissy B

Hobby Lobby already has Christmas stuff - and it's only July. I noticed it the other day.

Schools here always start the first week of August - anywhere from August 1st to August 6th.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-16, 02:40 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Well said! In areas where school starts earlier, fine, but why not tailor it to the individual communities - at least in the local stores- I understand that w/ TV advertising they may not be able to do it so easily.

I want to savor the weather and easy feel of summer.....I don't want to give it up sooner than I need to.

Donna
Agree. School here starts a couple of days after Labor Day, but I was at the mall today and saw 'Back to School' sales and backpacks and other school supplies. Seems a bit early. School here only ended about a month ago!

I was in Japan last year and they don't do summer vacation. They go year-round. Their only 'long' vacation is a 2 week break in March, and then they're right back at it.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-16, 04:33 PM  
marki64

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
This! I saw them (Halloween items) in JoAnn's Fabric the other day. Retailers just live from one holiday to the next holiday or special event.

We start school here in mid-August as well.

Carol
I think at the crafts stores, they have holiday stuff in advance for people who make crafts and gifts for the holidays.

I guess depending on what region you live in, school starts either early to mid-August or after Labor Day. I liked it when my daughter was a freshman in college and we were buying stuff for her dorm. I liked being able to get organized, but I don't like that the summer stuff goes bye, bye. That bothers me the most. I don't want to look at Fall clothes when I am sweating my butt off.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-16, 04:51 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Nope. I'm really benefiting from Christmas in July.

1) I used a 60% off coupon to order new business cards from zazzle.com, and got to take advantage of a free shipping offer, making them 1/3 the cost of what I last ordered them for.

2) I also got a new cooking pot from Amazon, and for some reason they gave me almost half off and a 1-month free trial of Prime to try to entice me back, for a total of $8.96. Here's the pot I got: Farberware Classic Series Stainless Steel 1-Quart Covered Saucepan. I got it because a couple years ago I accidentally boiled to death my regular small saucepan and needed to get one in a pinch. When I went to the grocery store for some reason everything was either aluminum or non-stick...and not even cheap! So I got this Farberware Classic Series Stainless Steel 1-Quart Covered Straining Saucepan from Bed Bath and Beyond with my coupon, and I never thought I could find so much happiness from a simple little cooking pot. I have a cheapo 4 quart enamel pot that I also use, but the enamel is breaking and I felt uncomfortable about it. Fast-forward a year later, and I have been eating soaked brown rice and have been feeling the health benefits from it. I realized I really needed another cooking pot so I can cook while I'm waiting on this one to finish rice. My new Farberware is $9 of happiness and joy every time I boil water.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-16, 06:05 PM  
MARIKA

I've noticed living in the South they go back so much earlier. I once heard in Alabama the reason being way back when they thought it was better for kids to be in school during the high heat with A.C. than home with none.
Old 07-25-16, 08:04 AM  
upperwside

Personally .. I like to get school shopping out of the way.. so I can relax the last few weeks before school starts. After traveling and camps.. the last thing I want to do is go to a store when I can spend time with my kiddos and just relax and enjoy each other in a lazy fashion. I have most shopping done... just need new shoes for both. But for other holidays and seasons/events.. I do find it annoying that they push it so early. Takes the joy away..
upperwside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-16, 10:09 AM  
PrairieGem

It is depressing how much shorter the summer season is. Last year they closed our municipal pools in August! It's still very summery here all the way through September , even if school starts way before that. It's not uncommon for us to get temps in the 90s in October!

I need until Labor Day to get excited about fall.
Old 07-25-16, 01:09 PM  
videofit

If you have spare cash, take advantage of all the sales. The retail sector is suffering due to bad economy and online competition so stock up while you can. It's a buyer's market.
Old 07-25-16, 01:16 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

My children started school today. Most of the schools here are modified year-round and start this week or next.

If the sales start what seems too early in other areas, I'd be waiting for the clearance items! By the time those children go to school, stuff might be REALLY cheap. And not just for school--I'm waiting for the back-to-college clearance so I can get some storage bins and things like that.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-16, 01:52 PM  
donnamp

Actually, I found the solution to my irritation - I ordered schools supplies at Amazon. It seemed less painful to spend a hot day inside shopping on-line as opposed to going to a brick and mortar store to do this chore!

I still wish we could live more "in the moment" though.

I can understand the crafting stores gearing up for the holidays now b/c if you do like to make gifts or decorations you need to start now....

If I see Pumpkin Spice coffee before Sept 1st, though I can't be responsible for my actions!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote