Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-11, 06:18 AM  
ellenalesa

OT: selling or trading on Amazon

Hi Ladies,

I saw a reference to a VFer making a purchase via a trade-in balance on Amazon.

I have a lot of books and DVDs that I would like to sell or trade. Is Amazon the best way? Are there other options? Can anyone tell me about their experience with Amazon?

Thanks!

Ellen
ellenalesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-11, 06:23 AM  
ruthular

I have had a lot of success with Amazon. Their fees are hefty, but stuff moves quickly (if it's in demand) and the process is hassle-free. You get a message that someone has bought your stuff, you mail it, and the money shows up in your bank account (Amazon settles every two weeks.) I think selling is better than the trade-in program. In order to start selling you just need to set up a seller account -- it's really easy.

The other option is ebay. Ebay is good for workout dvds but not as good for books. With Ebay you will need to take a photo of your item and write a description, so it's a little more work. Also, you have to wait until the auction is over (usually 7 days.)

If I were you, I'd put the books on Amazon and try one or two of your dvds on ebay and see which you prefer. With ebay the money goes into your paypal account immediately and then you can either spend directly from that account or move it to another account. I usually wind up just buying more dvds on ebay with my profits. Have fun!
ruthular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-11, 06:34 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

I have sold quite a bit on Amazon over the past 5 years or so. It's a good and simple way to get rid of stuff. I have sold mostly DVD & VHS though, a few CDs and books also.

If it's in demand it will go. I have been known to price my items on the low end just so it does go. And I always make sure to include a description of the condition etc. I know that I appreciate that when buying from Amazon marketplace, probably done that more than selling!
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-11, 06:43 AM  
adrien_73

I traded in about 150 dvds that I could not sell or trade at yayas. You get pennies on the dollar for most titles, but if you have a mass quantity to part with, it saves you the hassle of listing fees, packaging and mailing etc.

I lost a LOT of money doing this since many of my titles were hardly used and in new condition. But, since they weren't getting any bites at yayas at least I was able to get them off my hands quickly!

The whole experience has taught me that the 'used' fitness DVD market is not what it was several years ago. I will be MUCH more selective in what I buy and only make purchases that I KNOW I will use. Just because it's a good deal doesn't mean I should buy it!
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-11, 07:00 AM  
ldy_solana

i have done both. i would take in account of what the trade in is offering vs. the selling prices of other sellers. i traded in a a large box full for $55. the rest of my stuff i am selling. i have had a pretty good month so far. it is pretty easy. i get the email, print a packing slip, then confirm shipment when i mail out. i haven't had an issue yet *knock on wood*.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
ldy_solana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-11, 07:30 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I'm into easy these days and the trade-in program is SO EASY. As others have said, you don't get a lot, but you get something. And, those monies are designated to buying Kindle books - something else I don't need anything more of, but keep buying.

I have sold a few things on Amazon and had a good experience. It was just more than I want to do these days.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-11, 08:06 AM  
PhyllisG

I have sold on ebay and amazon and prefer amazon only because it is so easy. Yes they do charge but by the time I list on ebay, take the photos, pay the listing fees etc I really don't feel that I have gained much. Amazon makes it easy--list your item and when it is sold amazon will email you and you send it out and the money is sent to your bank account. Price it right and be honest in your description. I have sold many older cookbooks which were in excellent condition on amazon and got very good prices for them. I also sold most of my Cathe collection and other workout DVDs.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-11, 08:33 AM  
Inchworm

Is it hard to get started? I would really love to make a little extra money on things that are just sitting around. I mean, I have the complete boxed set of Lotte Berk. The box isn't in perfect condition, but the DVD's are fine. Can I actually sell old VHS tapes? Are people still actually buying them?

Thanks,

Kelly
Inchworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-11, 08:40 AM  
KathAL79

Here are some searches that may be helpful to those exploring their options for
- selling DVDs and selling in general; see also this thread
- Amazon's trade-in program

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-11, 09:02 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrien_73 View Post
The whole experience has taught me that the 'used' fitness DVD market is not what it was several years ago. I will be MUCH more selective in what I buy and only make purchases that I KNOW I will use. Just because it's a good deal doesn't mean I should buy it!
This is me. I know what I like and am very selective with what I buy. I have been very disappointed purchasing things that haven't panned out and then tried to trade/sell.

I've had pretty good results selling dvds on amazon. I do price low, also.

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon marketplace, amazon trade-in program, amazon.com marketplace, selling, selling dvds