Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-25-21, 12:44 PM  
bfit

How to regain muscle mass after long layoff?

I have been up on my feet for about a month now after a long layoff for a broken foot. I was on crutches and a knee scooter for 2 1/2 months and did not walk at all although I did swim and do what other exercises I could. I did not gain weight, and my clothes still fit, but I feel like my upper thighs and my glutes are just total mush. I have been seeing a physical therapist, but he is not helpful in terms of overall rehab. He just says "you're in great shape" and leaves it at that. How can I start retoning my lower body? I can do squats and I can ride the exercise bike, but I'm not walking long distances yet.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-21, 12:49 PM  
Erica H.

I had two major surgeries and two minor surgeries within one year. Each time I had to take a lot of time off from working out and the loss of muscle tone really upset me. But my strength and definition came back surprisingly quickly. I started with high rep/low weight workouts and gradually built up to where I was prior to surgery. It was really satisfying and encouraging to see and feel progress!

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-21, 02:20 AM  
Tugger31

After my surgery, I had to gradually increase my walking distance. I also found that doing Ballet Beautiful floor work really worked to tone up my thighs. I also did Cathe's Lean Legs & Abs and Great Glutes both unweighted once a week or just did her Legs & Glutes workout once a week modifying when I needed to. For Ballet Beautiful I tried to do glutes, inner and outer thigh each twice a week. It tooks a few months but it worked! There were some weeks where I did the BB only once and that was it. Just listen to your body!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-21, 08:31 AM  
Sollamyn

For my at-home strength-building therapy, my physical therapist instructed me to do squats (2 sets of 15, twice a day) and step ups (again, 2 sets of 15, twice a day) on my injured right leg (but I do both legs, to even it out!). Also, she wants me to do heel raises (I lost a LOT of mass in my right calf!) and a couple of other balance/strengthening exercises for my ankle, calves, and hips. Plus bridges. I keep forgetting to do those!

Of course, your PT should recommend something for your specific needs. Maybe it's too early in your rehab to do that type of thing? I didn't start doing squats and stuff until much later. I was going to PT for almost two months and those major lower body exercises didn't come along until I was almost done with my insurance-approved PT sessions, so...maybe discuss any at-home exercise routine with your PT first.

HTH,
Donna

Tags
muscle, muscle growth, restarting