Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-17-21, 06:43 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCW View Post
I do Essentrics/Classical Stretch 5 days a week for a few years. I can't see myself stopping. I work from home and try to do one or two barre/chair workouts, too. Some of the floor work and floor stretches are helpful too.

I also make a point to get in a miniwalk during the day. It might be walking outdoors for 5-10 minutes. I figured out that I never sat in the office at my desk for two hours straight. Why now?? If it's raining I do a 2-3 minute Essentrics warmup. Working from home, I try to get in as many steps by lunch that I would get if I commuted to work. When I was commuting and in the office, I would get about 4,000 steps before my lunchtime walk.

Crazy that it's harder for me to get in my steps at home but it tells me how much I am not moving during the workday.
Great points and ideas here! I'm a college teacher, and teaching from my home desk chair is absolutely not the same as lecturing in front of a live class, when I would be standing and walking as I taught, not to mention the passive steps I used to get from just walking from my office building to the buildings where my classes were. Now it's all just opening Zoom windows and not moving. I still try to get 10-13K steps in per day, but indeed, that is SO much harder to do when WFH.
Old 01-17-21, 07:28 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

I use this 10-12 minute hip-opener routine from Rodney Yee a lot. When I recently had two different injuries to the same knee within 2 1/2 months, this was my bedtime yoga every night because I knew it wouldn't bother my knee. It gets my hips, low back, thighs, hamstrings, calves and Achilles tendons. And it's filmed outdoors in Yosemite. This routine is the Garden section of his Yoga for Meditation. It's on a couple of meditation DVDs as well as more than one cover version for the Yoga DVD.

Yoga for Meditation - Garden

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-21, 08:08 PM  
Lori_Michigan

I get the same thing, somewhere in my right hip and mostly at night. Started around the same time that perimenopause hit, so about two and a half years now. I started getting it roughly twice a month. So I started charting when it occurred: during when my body is attempting to ovulate and then the few days before my period. I think it's hormonal for me. I've tried numerous stretches and also avoiding walking or squatting. Neither have worked for me. Just one more thing to add to the perimenopause list of maladies! I hope you find some relief!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-21, 10:33 PM  
DawnP
VF Supporter

Yoga with Adriene - for the psoas

My all-time fave Yoga with Adriene workout, Yoga for the Psoas.

Nothing else lives up to this. And it's free!

Dawn
Old 01-18-21, 11:35 AM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnP View Post
My all-time fave Yoga with Adriene workout, Yoga for the Psoas.

Nothing else lives up to this. And it's free!

Dawn
Oo, thanks, Dawn! I'll definitely give that a shot.
Old 01-18-21, 11:44 AM  
donnamp

Dawn - thanks, I will try that one, too!

KarenJo - thanks for the Rodney Yee clip as well!

Yea, when I worked in the office I sat all day, but I did get more movement in just naturally - walking to the printer, the restroom and I also did make a point of taking a 20 min walk mid-day just about every day. Now, I should do that w/ working from home, but I just don't....

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-21, 12:19 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Now, I should do that w/ working from home, but I just don't....
Same. I try to get up at least once an hour and do 250-1,000 steps, but sometimes I feel like I just have too much work to do and can't spare the time. Which is dumb, because as you say, in the office I would be walking a lot farther to do simple tasks or go to meetings, etc.
Old 01-18-21, 09:37 PM  
Bluebelle

I use this one.

https://hovancik.net/stretchly/

It gives suggestions at each break. I try and make a point of standing up for each break and moving around even if I don't do the suggested activity.

I find if I'm super busy and skip the breaks - I really pay for it later when I do get up. Everything hurts from not moving.

I was having a lot of leg trouble before using this app and it really does help me I if get and move even if it's just 10 or 20 seconds at a time. I don't usually make it through a 5 minute break but I try to move at least a minute or 2 when those pop up.

Hope you feel better soon.
Bluebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-21, 11:47 AM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebelle View Post
Hope you feel better soon.
Thanks! I'll give that app a shot! I know I'm so bad about taking breaks during my workday; I even stay at my desk during lunch.
Old 01-19-21, 01:00 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

Caroline Jordan has helped me with other issues in the lower body. Here are some videos she has for tight psoas and hip flexors.

https://www.youtube.com/c/CarolineJo...flexor%20psoas

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bobandbrad, hip flexor, hip openers, psoas