Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-20, 02:39 PM  
MsThistlebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
While I agree the shift in demand was abrupt, and supply was severely impacted simultaneously, no one who watched the people I have been watching can say hoarding didn't contribute substantially to the low supply in my grocery store.

Ridiculous.
Not wanting to stir up any contention, I've deleted the link to the article.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-20, 03:52 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
While I agree the shift in demand was abrupt, and supply was severely impacted simultaneously, no one who watched the people I have been watching can say hoarding didn't contribute substantially to the low supply in my grocery store.
While I agree some people may be hoarding, others may be buying for multiple people - elderly family members, others at higher risk, neighbors, etc. And, of course, there is panic buying when supplies are low since you don't know if/when the product will be available again.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-20, 03:54 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsThistlebottom View Post
It was a good article!

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-20, 05:30 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsThistlebottom View Post
Joan I thought it was a good article and an interesting perspective...my ridiculous comment was an observation of the behavior I saw..(.two full grocery carts of all brands toilet paper and paper towels by one person, etc.)

I'm sorry if you misunderstood my comments

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-20, 05:51 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
It was a good article!

Erica
I enjoyed the article too. I hadn't considered the impact of people now using more TP because they are not using the bathroom at schools, work, restaurants, etc.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-20, 05:59 PM  
MsThistlebottom

Quote:
Joan I thought it was a good article and an interesting perspective...my ridiculous comment was an observation of the behavior I saw..(.two full grocery carts of all brands toilet paper and paper towels by one person, etc.)

I'm sorry if you misunderstood my comments
Oh, no worries--I thought you meant the article was ridiculous, so I thought it best to just delete the link. I do agree that the hoarding is ridiculous! Costco has even had to remind customers that they are accepting NO returns for toilet paper, disinfecting spray, and so on.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-20, 06:17 PM  
fanofladyvols

I was very glad to see they won't accept returns.

I look forward to the day that I don't need to travel across town going to several stores to purchase what we need.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-20, 03:08 PM  
antbuko

I think at this point, everyone is doing a little bit of hoarding. I know when I go out to the store, I pick up more than I normally would have, of everything, so that I don't have to go back soon. The stores are now putting limits on paper goods. Hopefully, supply chains will catch up to current demands, or maybe they won't and we'll have to deal with shortages for quite some time.

I was reading about the Spanish flu pandemic, and that one lasted three years.
Old 04-04-20, 04:02 PM  
warriorprincess

I had my first Instacart delivery this morning, and was very happy. I was notified when she started shopping, of every substitution she made, she asked about one pricey substitution through the chat, and was notified when she left for delivery. She was very competent and a sweetheart.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-20, 04:41 AM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
While I agree some people may be hoarding, others may be buying for multiple people - elderly family members, others at higher risk, neighbors, etc. And, of course, there is panic buying when supplies are low since you don't know if/when the product will be available again.

Erica
This is me. In addition to buying groceries for myself and my husband I am now also buying for my mother and my two elderly aunts. It’s not easy going in with 3 lists and finding everything everyone wants. I waited 65-minutes outside in line in the freezing cold yesterday just to get into the supermarket. I pray this doesn’t continue too much longer. It’s starting to take a toll on everyone (myself included). I noticed the cashiers are looking run down. At least the store is now closing at 6:00 pm so the employees can get some rest. I’m so thankful for them. What would we do without them?

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19, introverts, price gouging, social distancing