Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-19, 10:37 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout was a long walk with DH and then Yoga With Adriene Revolution Day 19. I really liked that practice, it's one I'll do again.

Anits, sorry you're still feeling dizzy. DH has had bouts of this in the past and found the Epley maneuver helpful. We've been in our home 25 years. The unit next to ours is a rental and there has been a stream of families living there since we moved in. Luckily we have liked all of them.

Dede, interesting treatment for your DS's tooth. Like Laura, I'd never heard of it, but I do hope it works for your DS. Sorry the holidays are difficult for you. This is an urban area, so there are many places are open on Christmas. There are so many religions here people can work out who works which holiday so employees can be accomodated to get their religious holiday off. We go to the same restaurant every year, we do have to have reservations but it has never been a problem.

Laura, glad you got your energy back after the infusion. Yes, getting the refridgerator fixed so quickly and easily was a huge relief. Don't blame you about replacing the toilets it was one of the first things we did when we moved in here.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-19, 08:56 AM  
boakley
VF Supporter

Hi All - sorry to disappear (again ). I've been feeling low, and last week was not a good one. DH's uncle passed away suddenly. He was 82, but wasn't sick that we knew of so no warning - massive heart attack. I'm struggling with aches/pains/niggling injuries. I'm trying to avoid a full blown flare up, and it's trying my patience and resolve. DS threw us a curve this week announcing he and 2 friends are renting a place off campus for next year instead of going back to residence, and my Dad, also 82, had a fall on Friday night - he's OK, but needed stitches for the cut on his head, and has a banged up knee and bruised rib. He is insisting they are fine and don't need any help. Top top off the week I was also scolded by my boss for something silly. So I went to my go to behavior and hibernated on the couch under a blanket. I still did a few workouts. And a cardio coach on the bike Saturday morning before hearing about Dad from my sister. I miss running a LOT because it always helps me through this kind of stuff. Due to sleep issues, I did not work out on Monday, but I did do a couple of Jessica's miles and some core stuff yesterday. I get really frustrated with what seems to me to be a lack of or too slow progress/healing time.

Anita - sorry about the vertigo!
Laura - glad you got your infusion.
Dede - interesting about DS's tooth procedure.
Paula - glad for the quick fridge fix!

Oh, I LOVE the theme. I'm definitely testing negative this week Waves to all!

Beth

Tom Petty
boakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-19, 09:47 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

I'm enjoying this day off - hoping to give Gus a nice long walk and work in my back yard raking. I do the Epley maneuver and my head goes straight for the day, but I don't sleep in a recliner so I can't roll around, so the vertigo is back in the morning - sigh... I just feel like its the marbles rattling around in my brain .

Dede, I'm with you on eating a TV dinner for Thanksgiving . Actually our elderly group is having a buffet dinner made for us on Tuesday and our circus crew will be getting together for a fly session and a pot luck afterwards - I'll not fly but will eat . Still deciding what to bring... Many years ago I have been to restaurants that have had Thanksgiving and it was a delicious meal! I've blown off lots of workouts also - just walking Gus and doing stuff outside my house - wondering if I should give away my kettlebells, dumbbells, bosu and TRX (and all the videos I have). I've not heard of DS's tooth treatment either - I used to be a tooth grinder according to my dentist, but think it came about from heavy weight lifting when I'd clench my jaws. I did try a mouth guard but it would cause me to drool all night - yuck! Supposedly I don't grind much any more according to my dentist.

Laura, we've had quite the transition in our neighborhood - previous owners were very aged and I enjoyed interacting with them and helping them when they needed some help around the house. They've all passed on and now young families live in those houses - I've got no contact with them though. Halloween was a first night of contact with several of them as they brought their kids by. The family next door moved back to the Philippines and a group of students now live and rent out rooms in there - they used to be big party-ers, but now live pretty quietly - thank goodness! The people on my other side are the same and are about my age, but still working. They are big gardeners.

Paula, I've replaced toilets in my house too, but not for being a new person in the house - the one in the basement didn't work well after several years and the upstairs got changed when I remodeled.

Beth, good to see you! Sorry you're having such a difficult time though - wish I could give you a big hug .

Waves to all!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-19, 08:40 PM  
Tiny

Greetings!

Another week is flying by! I am looking forward to 2020.

I’m going to a coworkers house for Thanksgiving. She threatened to bring me a plate and check on me if I didn’t accept her invitation. Haha I was already planning on accepting because her husband is an amazing cook. The ex and I had Thanksgiving with them a couple years ago and it was the best Thanksgiving meal I’ve had in years! We were invited back the following year but the ex said no, so that was my last time going until this year-YAY!

Dede~my dentist gives me a fluoride treatment every time I go, it is an extra charge but I think it helps. I chew threw mouth guards and the one from the dentist isn’t covered by my dental insurance so they are much too expensive. Plenty of places are open here in AZ for Thanksgiving and Christmas too.

Laura~I was telling my friends that I wanted to change out the toilet in this condo. It’s nice and sparkling clean but I don’t think it has a strong enough flush if you know what I mean.

Anita~I’m sorry you are still feeling dizzy. I’m going to google Epley maneuver. My friend suffers from vertigo so I may tell her about it. I’m one who had planned on retiring in my shotgun house in NOLA and then I had planned to retire in the house we bought here and now.....we’ll let’s just say I have no plans on moving outta here but we see how well my plans work out.

Paula~I’ll have to revisit Revolution Day 19. So true, so many different religions here as well. You finally got cooler weather neighbor? We are in the 60’s with rain for the past 2 days.

Beth~hugs to you! 💞

Talk soon!

H.O.P.E.=Hold On Pain Ends
D.I.E.T.=Did I Eat That

"If I fall, I will get back up. If I am beaten, I will return."
"Strong is what happens when you run out of weak."
"As the New Year dawns we look back on a year of upheaval through the world and through our lives as well. Life is difficult. For those of us raised with the illusion that if we go to school, work hard, all will be well, that illusion dies hard."
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-19, 09:40 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Travis Eliot Yoga Foundations 3. Went to lunch with friends, always a good time. When I left the restaurant it was raining pretty hard. It's been raining on and off and supposed to rain all night - yay!

Beth, it often seems as though bad things come in bunches. You have good reasons to be feeling low. What an awful surprise about your uncle! Sorry your Dad hurt himself. So often the aches and pains from a fall show up the day after. I hope he does OK. Are you OK with DS living off campus with friends?

Anita, Sounds as though you have good options for Thanksgiving. Play your cards right and you can get two dinners if I read correctly. Don't give away your dumbells. I don't have many items of fitness equipment but the few dumbells and ankle/wrist weights I have get used every week. Those and some videos or YouTube and you can work out at home any time you have free. We didn't replace our toilets when we moved in because we were new in the home but because they were old and cracked. Think about trying the Yoga with Adriene Vertigo practice - it can't hurt and it's short, about 15 minutes. Although no guarantee the result would be lasting and you won't wake up dizzy.

Mary, so glad you're going to friends for Thanksgiving. We have friends over every year for T-day. Everyone brings something and there are no family "traditions" that need to be observed we can just do what we want. As a group we decided against turkey - we're having grilled salmon, no pie - we're having cake. It's always a relaxed, fun day - go and enjoy. As for weather, it's raining here right now.
Old 11-21-19, 09:19 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

It's snowing here - even Gus didn't want to go outside in that ! I'm planning on chair yoga today (may need modifications for my vertigo), Gus walk will be out there also. Tonight I'm meeting with friends for some dinner then going for a musical, Judy Garland: Beyond the Rainbow.

Mary, glad you've got a great cook friend doing Thanksgiving this year! I'm fine with my house currently, but there is a lot of outdoor work that I wouldn't have if I lived in a condo. I do like this area though so looking up here vs moving back to Madison, WI, another city I loved. Right now I can do the outside stuff and take my time because I'm retired, but saw my parents take that to working outside about 6 hours a day and couldn't keep up . One of the places I'm looking at used to be on a garden center and the owner of that now lives there - there's still wonderful gardens outside that one can help with if one wants to - that's my favorite place right now .

Paula, hope the rain is needed there in CA to help keep the fires and their potential under control - places that got burned won't absorb water well though, so lots of mudslides possible . Glad you got away from turkey for Thanksgiving! I'm not a fan of cooking turkey at home and will eat it if made by a pro elsewhere, so think I'm OK this year. Your friends sound like a great group to celebrate the holiday with .

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 11-21-19, 09:02 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B Fitness something like Workout with Weights for Women, then Yoga with Adriene, Yoga Camp I Am Secure.

Anita, Boo on snow. But at least you don't need to rake. The retirement place that's the top on your list sounds very nice. The option to work in the garden or not would be a big positive factor for me. Rain is almost always welcome in CA. Sometimes we got too much and mudslides occur. But that is not a concern where I live. Yes, I do have really nice friends, they all bring something so its low stress for me. It's always at my house because I'm the only one with a dining room table that will seat everyone.
Old 11-22-19, 07:59 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

I'm planning on working at the WRC this morning. Last night was a late one with the play on Judy Garland, so may take a nap . Gus walk in there today also. Tonight I'm meeting a friend and going to the circus show at a place I used to perform.

Paula, at least the snow has melted yesterday! Still a lot of leaves coming down in front though . Enjoy your celebration around your nice big table!

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 11-22-19, 12:48 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I'm not sure where the week went. DH has been sick and I've been catching up on errands. And, I've been writing blog posts and applying for jobs. That has sucked up a lot of time. DH is finally feeling better today.

Beth - Sorry for your rough week and the loss of your uncle. It's aggravating when you get scolded for silly things at work. Like that helps anything at all. Have a good weekend!

Mary - The company that makes the model we get claims that you can flush a bucket of golf balls in this toilet. There's apparently a YouTube video showing it. We decided we didn't really need to see that... It sounds like a good plan for Thanksgiving! Have a great time.

Paula - That sounds like a pretty good plan. You provide the place and friends bring good food.

Anita - It's good the party house has died down. I can see how Halloween would be a good time to meet younger families. It sounds like you have good options for Thanksgiving.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-19, 08:46 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Jessica Smith Chair Cardio followed by Yoga with Adriene - I am Grateful (liked this one).

Anita, did you enjoy the play on Judy Garland? There's a movie out right now about JG, do you know if the movie arose from the play? Hope you and Gus had a nice lazy day.

Laura, glad you are back and your DH is feeling better. So you're looking for a regular job? I thought you might want to launch a YouTube Channel and make that your income focus.