Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 11-15-19, 01:57 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anny View Post
jeanine are you doing Top Shape from the book or the DVD?
the DVD.

however, I have been comparing the moves with her 2 books Top Shape and Now or Never. I wrote the moves down from the books, and in comparison, the DVD is more like Top Shape "Ironman" rotation adding in the legs portion from Now or Never.

the book "Top Shape" is geared toward men but women can definitely do this workout.

I like the DVD Top Shape because Joyce uses a barbell and Marthe uses dumbbells. plus, it's short (Day 1 is 32 min, Day 2 is 20 min). there's 15 second rests between moves to switch weights, but even then, you're constantly moving.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-19, 03:40 PM  
Anny

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
the DVD.
I like the DVD Top Shape because Joyce uses a barbell and Marthe uses dumbbells. plus, it's short (Day 1 is 32 min, Day 2 is 20 min). there's 15 second rests between moves to switch weights, but even then, you're constantly moving.
Thank you. I'm thinking maybe I should buy a couple of Joyce DVDs.
Old 11-15-19, 08:56 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Today I did more work in our back yard. We have very few days of decent weather left. I hope to get back to Fat Burning tomorrow. The photos from Joyce's old website were so inspiring and I hope to stick with it for awhile.

~Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-19, 10:04 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

I took a rest day yesterday and boy did I end up being pretty lazy all day. I actually do not like days like that!

This morning I was back to Fat Burning Upper. I think I'm starting my third week and dare I say it? I think my jeans felt ever so slightly looser yesterday -- and that's after I had crazy eating for a bit. We'll see. I did go look at those pictures on the way back machine -- very inspiring and I loved seeing the picture of the man who was doing Top Shape but I think also Bone Building, if I remember correctly. I also read through the FAQs. I laughed at Joyce's answer to "should I get books or videos?" She basically said get both, but said it in a long drawn out way.

Oh, and this morning I think I did the shrug correctly. I think her selection of back exercises do get at different parts of the back pretty effectively.
Old 11-17-19, 02:49 PM  
Anny

bee I will have to look at the Joyce website on the day back maxhine! I do like the stories in the books Definition and in Weight Training Made Easy. Good news about your jeans!

Weekend workouts were a longish wall on Saturday and upper body from The Fat burning Workout on Sunday.
Old 11-17-19, 06:51 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

More weekend yardwork for me.

Bee, that's great about the looser jeans! I'm such a big fan of Joyce's upper body. I tend to not enjoy squats and lunges so much, but maybe I should do them, Lol. I think Joyce has tended to focus on exercises that give the best overall results in the shortest timeframe. I remember her saying before how she worked out in the morning in her pajamas to get it done because she was short on time, like many of us! I still like barre though, so I may pull in Iron Barre lower for some variety here and there.

Aren't those photos still inspiring? Real people, just like us. If you flip through the different years on the Wayback Machine, there are different photos. Mandy looks amazing! I think she was doing all Joyce.

~Beth
Old 11-18-19, 04:31 AM  
Anny

Yoga from Yoga with Adriene tonight.

Lower body from The Fat burning Workout will be tomorrow morning's workout.
Old 11-18-19, 01:57 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Yes, those photos and stories are great. I didn't think about trying different times -- figured it would mostly be the same. I'll check it out.

Today I did lower body from Fat Burning again. My back is a bit sore today -- I don't know if it's from the back work I did yesterday, and if so whether or not it's just regular soreness or I tweaked something, or if it's from moving to the couch in the middle of the night because my husband was in the middle of the bed hogging the whole thing. Am I the only one with this problem?!
Old 11-18-19, 06:41 PM  
Anny

bee that sounds uncomfortable. I don't usually get back pain from Joyce's workouts. I did twinge my back once doing a twisting move with a Jessica Smith workout.

This morning I did lower body, modified and unweighted from the Fat burning workout book.
Old 11-18-19, 08:50 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

bee, not sure about the back pain. Since Fat Burning is mostly pyramiding I tend to go down a bit in weight than what I would normally use. Just curious, are you relaxing your neck? Maybe it's just from sleeping on the sofa.

~Beth