Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-19, 05:05 AM  
Anny

Thank you for welcoming me! And welcome toBebop.

No workout for me as I have picked up a stomach bug and have been unwell.

Oh well, tomorrow is another day!
Old 11-11-19, 11:30 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Oh Anny, sorry to hear you're not feeling well! Hope the bug leaves quickly.

Beth, that kind of yard work is no joke -- yes, nice to have it done!

Well, I started to do the FB lower body workout this morning and I apparently pulled my quad muscle, or somehow hurt it, the other day when I did Essentrics. Well, that's my guess. I couldn't do any of the thigh exercises without pain. I was about to scrap the whole thing but then realized I should at least try the rest of the workout and indeed, I got through all of that fine.

One thing I was thinking about...... in all the Joyce threads I've been reading, I've seen comments from people who say they've really slimmed their lower body and I've seen comments from others saying Joyce's lower body work does nothing for them. I thought that was interesting. I'm obviously hoping I see it do something for me.
Old 11-12-19, 02:57 PM  
Anny

bee I do find it interesting how workouts affect people differently. For example, my body tends to respond well toning wise from unweighted work, as in some of Joyce's workouts or in Cindy Crawford's Shape Your Body.

Last night after work I did a pilates session from.a book (Pilates for Living). Tonight I will be doing a Joyce upper body workout, probably from The Fat burning Workout book.
Old 11-12-19, 10:07 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Oh Anny, sorry to hear you're not feeling well! Hope the bug leaves quickly.

Beth, that kind of yard work is no joke -- yes, nice to have it done!

Well, I started to do the FB lower body workout this morning and I apparently pulled my quad muscle, or somehow hurt it, the other day when I did Essentrics. Well, that's my guess. I couldn't do any of the thigh exercises without pain. I was about to scrap the whole thing but then realized I should at least try the rest of the workout and indeed, I got through all of that fine.

One thing I was thinking about...... in all the Joyce threads I've been reading, I've seen comments from people who say they've really slimmed their lower body and I've seen comments from others saying Joyce's lower body work does nothing for them. I thought that was interesting. I'm obviously hoping I see it do something for me.
Yesterday I walked at lunch and did the 30 minute Fat Burning upper last night. I lowered my weights this time to try to keep an aerobic pace. I'm definitely starting to feel it this evening. I think I will stick with Fat Burning for a few weeks and then start adding in more.

Bee, I've read that too about lower body. I've also read in the threads that others say to stick with it and you will see results. That's what I would like to do this time, stick with it for a few months and see what happens. I've gotten great upper body results in the past, and I now have a bench with a leg curl extension to try for lower body. I was never able to go heavy enough with lying leg curls and not drop the weight.

One thing I will mention too is I think the exercises are still very relevant, just please everyone, look at the modification options online. Some of the exercises have been updated by bodybuilders over the years to be more back and knee-friendly, etc. There are different ways to do front squats, back squats, sissy squats, shoulder shrugs, that are very effective without having to substitute the exercise.

~Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-19, 09:31 AM  
Bebop

Hi,

Just finished Just arms - segments one and two. I subbed front raises for the upright rows - upright rows are dangerous even if you don't have shoulder issues.

I finished up with one round of Gust busters. Could have done two rounds - I have strong abs.

Monday was my day at the gym with the personal trainer - that's my heavy weight day.

Tomorrow I'm planning aerobics. For my next weight day I'm thinking of doing just arms again pyramid three and four.

Hadn't done Joyce in a long while and think this rotation is going to help me get back on track - love that you can get it all done within in 15 to 30 minutes.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-19, 10:25 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Nice work, all! Yesterday I did upper body and then even jogged a couple of miles -- something I haven't done in a long time but a friend inspired me and it was fun. Today I did lower body (fat burning, for both) and my quad was fine again, thankfully.

Hey Beth, I did try to find a clip of the bent back shrug. The only thing I found was a shrug -- does that mean we should be taking the bend part out of it to keep our backs safe? I sort of wonder if it's a cross between a good morning and a shrug. That's kind of what I've been doing, but not a full good morning. Any tips for me?

My other two books -- the 12 minute and Definition -- have both arrived from ebay. I do think I'll stick with fat burning for a while, but I'll start looking at the Definition workout just for fun. And..... I did spring for some dvds from collage since they were having an additional 15% off for Veteran's Day.
Old 11-13-19, 09:08 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Bee, yes, in the Fat Burning video for bent back shrug, as they stand it looks like they are rolling their shoulders as they shrug. I read recently the rolling part puts unnecessary strain on the shoulder. For the shrug part, just lift shoulders up, then down. Here's the closest thing I could find for a standing shrug, https://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/dumbbell-shrug, and this one for a bent shrug, https://homegymr.com/how-to-do-bent-over-shrugs/. I'm kind of favoring the second example and how he pinches the shoulder blades together. That way you don't have to think about moving the arms.

For fun, I found Joyce's old website on the Wayback Machine, https://web.archive.org/, and got to see everyone's pictures! Very inspiring!

~Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-19, 09:09 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Hi All! Hey Beth, thanks so much for those pointers to the shrug -- I was definitely doing it wrong, but I've got a great idea what to do now. I don't know why my googling didn't come up with these things -- much better than what I found. And thanks to for the way back machine -- I'm definitely going to check out the pictures -- I could use some inspiration! I don't know what's up with me lately...... I am eating like there's no tomorrow. I've never in my life been quite like this. I have had problems with sweets, but I seem to have problems with any kind of food now. And then I go to bed and feel awful. I don't know what's happened to me.

Yesterday I did lower body and a walk. Today I did upper body and a live yoga class. Still doing the Fat Burning book routine -- insanity level mostly.
Old 11-14-19, 09:22 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

this week I am doing Top Shape again. I like this workout - you do Day 1, then Day 2 the next day. both segments are short too.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-19, 03:42 AM  
Anny

jeanine are you doing Top Shape from the book or the DVD?

bee and Beth I kind of like that shrug move. It feels a little different .

Off to do modified lower body from the Fat burning book .