Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 11-04-19, 09:18 AM  
mena

Fri 11/1 - Jessica Smith - Wallk On 21 Day Weight Loss Plan - Tred and Shred segment only.

Sat 11/2 - Namaste Yoga - S1E6 (Half Moon)

Sun 11/3 - Rest Day. I've been suffering with terrible insomnia for a week now and it all caught up with me on Sunday. I was like a zombie.

Mon 11/4 - Caribbean Workout - Workout on the Go (Chi Ball segment).

Thanks to Helen for starting us off and going through the hassle to post nice pics for us.

Pam - Welcome !!

Helen - Sorry to hear about your shoulder injury being so much more serious than they first thought. But it's good news that the surgeon said you don't need surgery.

Lili - I think the basement can be a sort of catch all area like the garage. It's easy to put stuff away down there and forget about it for a few years! It's a lot of work to organize, but you'll feel really good once you get through it all.

Kay - Glad that you're on the mend. No doubt, you'll be getting back to serious home improvement work with your DH soon. Is the man cave completed?

Cleda - I notice you checked in with a kettlebell workout. Did you often do kettlebells before the Peloton became your addiction? I would like to try out kettlebells (I have one KCM workout where she uses them) but then I get scared off by comments in threads where people say you really should get professional instruction before trying on your own. Did you take classes? What's your opinion on that?

Waves to Susan.
mena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-19, 08:35 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Hello everyone!

Nov 4:
~20 min freestyle rebounding watching Netflix
~Essentrics Precho 10: trademarks & floor work in preparation for tomorrow’s class
~Barlates Kettlebell HIIT: Lower Body - Trying to strengthen my glutes as my son, the kinesiologist, says weak glutes are probably at least partly why my hip flexors have been bothering me. I think I might feel this one tomorrow! It was good though, nice pace, and I made a few minor mods to protect my low back.
~headstand practice - loving my headstand bench!
~MFML: Soothe into the Evening - a lovely yin class all done at the wall

Helen - Good news that you don’t need surgery!

Mena - Jessica’s Tred & Shred is a fave of mine. I really like her workouts!

Lili - Congrats on finishing your StepBet! I miss running, had to give it up because of various issues. It’s so freeing to lace up your shoes and head outside. My DH and I are starting a purge in our house as we are selling in the spring & moving to the city. We are semi rural right now and my DH has a big shop that’s full of stuff he hasn’t looked at for ages....

Cleda - Those challenges sound very motivating!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-19, 09:35 AM  
mena

Tues 11/5 - KCM - Body Shop (workout 1)

Pam - My DH and I moved to another state a few years back and there is no better motivator to decluttering than selling and moving. A house always looks better to potential buyers with less stuff in it so they can imagine their own things in your house. When in doubt, get rid of it! I only regret getting rid of a few things and those are mostly things I could replace if I wanted to spend the money (mainly books).

Waves to Everyone.
Old 11-05-19, 03:55 PM  
KayB
VF Supporter

A walk on a beautiful fall day with the dogs.

Sewing, sewing, sewing!

Waves to all.
KayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-19, 12:05 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Nov 5:
~Taught Essentrics
~15 min freestyle rebounding
~3 km neighborhood walk with my DH
~Headstand practice
~MFML: Twilight Yinyasa - This is a favorite, a slow flowing seated & reclined stretch with a yin feel.

Mena - Yes moving is the best incentive to purge & declutter! We’ve been in this house almost 11 years, long enough to collect more stuff than we need.

Kay - Inquiring minds want to know what you’re sewing!

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Old 11-06-19, 09:15 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Don't want to fall behind

So here I am!

Mena: I LOVE kettlebells. They get the job done in minimal time. I love RKS (some of the workouts) and Shut Up and Train by Lauren Brooks. Those are my favorites. There's always good ole deadlifts and swings with them also. I actually did take ONE seminar many, many years ago when I first started doing them. Just to make sure my form was correct and all was ok. (It was.) I'm not sorry I took it, but I learned my technique from the videos and maybe some books (I have several on kbs, they've been around for ions) It was so many years ago, that I told my nephew about them (who was playing football for college and now actually coaches) and he had never heard of them. And of course, within months they started training with them! Always makes me proud when I can come across with a new training thingee as the old aunt and then it becomes mainstream! Anyway ... You just have to be careful as low back injuries can happen, but it's kinda like everything else we do. I'm sure there's you tube videos and a lot more resources now then there was back when I first began with them. I say, try it. The man who taught the seminar I took always said, if you don't have a lot of time, at LEAST do 5-10 minutes a day of swings. This month, since I'm trying to get in more variety, I figured it's a good add on. (With minimal time). You need to be careful, you need to watch form, but I don't necessarily agree with the posters who say DO NOT DO KETTLEBELLS until you get proper instruction. JMHO and YMMV.

Pam: I see you mention rebounding. What kind of rebounder do you have? What kind of videos (if any?) do you enjoy? I'm always on the look out. I have a Bellicon. Best purchase (for me) that I ever made (before the Peloton and in conjunction with treadmill, elliptical, etc, etc.) Because it accommodates my weight and I don't "cone" with it. I have NEVER regretted that purchase. Use it all the time to stretch out muscles (bounce them out) and get rid of lactic acid build up. As a matter of fact, I was using it for the 30 second and 60 second time between KB sets during RKS. LOVE it .... And yes, I have a love/hate relationship with my challenges. Love 'em, then 3 weeks in hate 'em, then 4 weeks to finish love them again. Usually. It's the comradrie that helps for sure.

Waves to everyone else. Gotta check in and get busy. The day's a'wastin'.

11/4/2019: Matt Wilper's 60 minute Power Zone workout for the challenge, 5 minute stretch, RKS #2 workout (this is probably my very, very favorite of the RKS workouts. I am probably going to alternate workouts 1 & 2 for awhile and then move on. I know there's one that is set at night that I enjoy also. And since I mentioned to Mena - I really should get out SUAT as I recall thoroughly enjoying that one also).

11/5/2019: Rest day. I know I said I wasn't going to do it. . . I got up early to workout yesterday, but ended up on the phone (on hold for 25 minutes before I got a representative) with my bank, as something looked fishy in my checking account. They couldn't help me and the best they could offer was, 'It looks like it may have been a glitch, I think you're ok, but keep an eye on it." SERIOUSLY ?!?!? I wasted over 30 minutes of my morning to be given a brush off?? And NO EXPLANATION???? I was sooooooooooooo angry. There went my workout time. Anyway , too tired when I got home, so yep ... rest day. Oh well, today's a new day.

Okey dokey, off to check the bank account and make sure it's still ok and then on to workout. Make it a great day.

Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-19, 09:30 AM  
mena

Wed 11/6 - Cathe X10 (low impact only)

Cleda - Thanks for the detailed info about kettlebells. I would really like to try them so I'll look into youtube tutorials and DVDs. I want to do something new (new to me) to spice things up.

That answer from your bank is totally unacceptable! If they don't know what happened to their own accounts then who does ??!!! Customer service is dead! It's amazing how people who are supposed to offer answers can't anymore.

Pam - What does MFML stand for? Sorry to ask if you already mentioned it but do you space all those workouts throughout the day?
Old 11-06-19, 11:40 AM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

11/4 - dog walk and Jillian's 30 Day Shred, workout 1 again.
11/5 - Tae Bo Cardio. This was a virgin for me and I liked it. Billy didn't do super fast moves in this one.

We cleaned out the basement several years ago, but as you can guess, it has filled up again. My workout area is usually picked up, but the rest of it is a mess. I've been wanting to paint the basement walls (at least in my workout area) ever since I did one of KCM's Raw videos on YouTube. I feel like it would make such a big difference - less dungeon-like.
I am going through my videos, putting some in boxes to eventually get rid of. I am trying to spend 20-40 minutes a day down there so that I don't dread it.

Pam - Moving is a great motivator for purging! Good luck with the whole process. Also, I find it much easier to decide what hubby should get rid of, than what I should get rid of! I think he feels the same about my stuff.
Mena - since you mentioned Cathe, maybe I'll pull out one of hers today. I've only tried 1 or 2 from the LITE series.
Cleda - customer service is pitiful anymore. Add to that you have to go through 18 menus before you can speak to anyone!
Kay - enjoy your dog walks!

“Let us rather run the risk of wearing out than rusting out.” Teddy Roosevelt
LiliMagill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-19, 07:41 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Nov 6:
~20 min freestyle rebounding
~Barlates: Cardio Interval Tone 45/30 - This was a great little workout at 29 min. The focus was mainly lower body & cardio but it also included a little upper body strength with light hand weights.
~headstand practice
~3 km neighborhood walk
~yin yoga class

Cleda - I have a 44” Bellicon, got a nice deal on a used one a few years ago. I rarely do any formal rebounding workouts, although I did subscribe to Bellicon streaming a few years ago. I freestyle while I watch Netflix or Acorn tv. I’ve had issues with PF off & on and find it good for working & stretching my feet. I’m trying to do more strength work including kettlebells. I enjoy KBs and I agree they do get a lot done in a short time & you get strength & cardio together. I bought a few Barlates KB downloads recently & did one a few days ago. Good form is definitely key! My KBs are on the light side as I’m cautious because I’ve put my SI joint out more than once. I hope the bank got your account sorted out, getting stuck on hold is so frustrating!

Mena - MFML is Movement for Modern Life, a British streaming yoga site. I love it, there is a lot variety and the instruction is excellent. Sometimes I string my workouts together, sometimes I save my yoga for later in the day. Retirement gives me the luxury of time & flexibilty.

Lili - I have soooo many dvds I never use! The market to trade or sell them seems to be drying up. I travel between our house & our condo in the city two or three times a month so streaming & downloads are mostly what I do now. I guess I’ll end up donating them to goodwill.

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn

Old 11-07-19, 09:53 AM  
mena

Thu 11/7 - JS Total Stretch (Session 3: Total Stretch). This hardly counts as anything, but I have a lot of stuff I want to get done today so I can't focus on getting much of a workout done.

Lili - In our old house, I worked out in the basement. After we remodeled down there, it was sooooo much nicer to work out in. We had the walls painted a nice yellow-cream color and it really brightened things up. A basement is always going to be a basement but good lighting and a cheery color on the walls made a huge difference in my enjoyment of working out down there. What paint colors are you thinking of?