Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-01-19, 05:25 PM  
laurajhawk

On Amazon, I adore The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, and bonus VF note - her exercise class is hilarious.
Also, if you somehow missed out on Downton Abbey like I did, give it a try. I just finished a multi-week binge of all 6 seasons - it is not overrated, it's actually fantastic.
Vidiot suggestions (if it doesn't make you too frustrated to look at workouts): Preview any virgin workouts you own. Surf VF for youtube suggestions, check them out, subscribe to any that look like they may be good when you start going back to working out. Do the same with the clips on totalfitnessdvds.com - you can make a wishlist and shop the Black Friday sale. Plan rotations. Organize your collection.
Good luck with the surgery! May your recovery be quick.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-19, 06:01 PM  
sherry7899

Tracy, I tried to send the book list, but your box is full.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-19, 06:08 PM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Tracy, I tried to send the book list, but your box is full.
Sorry I just cleared it out. Thanks Sherry you are always so thoughtful.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-19, 06:16 PM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
I've had four surgeries in the past year and have had to take a lot of time off. I don't watch tv or movies so I ended up reading a lot and wasting a lot of tim on the internet.

Can you still walk? I did a lot of walking during recovery. What about lower body work with no weights and/or kickboxing workouts with just kicking? How about stationary cycling, low impact cardio like aerobics or step?

Good luck with your surgery and recovery!

Erica
Sorry about all your surgeries Erica. I hope you are doing well now. I think I will be able to walk, although the second surgeon that I saw, whom I did not choose to do my surgery, said he does not like his patients to walk during recovery because if you trip you could re-tear. The surgeon that I’m going to never said either way but I will definitely find out when I’m there. I love to walk and plan to during my recovery if I get the ok. They really don’t want you doing much because the re-tear rate is pretty high during the first 6-8 weeks.

I can see me wasting time on the internet for sure.

Old 11-01-19, 06:19 PM  
Sissy B

I broke my hand in May and spent the summer watching the British series Midsomer Murders on Netflix. They have taken it off Netflix, but seaons 1-19 are available without a subscription on the ROKU channel if you have a ROKU and it is available on Acorn or Britbox with a subscription. To watch season 20 you have to have a subscription (or do like I did and get the DVD at the library).
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-19, 06:25 PM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
On Amazon, I adore The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, and bonus VF note - her exercise class is hilarious.
Also, if you somehow missed out on Downton Abbey like I did, give it a try. I just finished a multi-week binge of all 6 seasons - it is not overrated, it's actually fantastic.
Vidiot suggestions (if it doesn't make you too frustrated to look at workouts): Preview any virgin workouts you own. Surf VF for youtube suggestions, check them out, subscribe to any that look like they may be good when you start going back to working out. Do the same with the clips on totalfitnessdvds.com - you can make a wishlist and shop the Black Friday sale. Plan rotations. Organize your collection.
Good luck with the surgery! May your recovery be quick.
Fabulous suggestions. I have never seen Downton Abbey or The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel so that may be fun.

I’ve already been planning my comeback—cannot wait to lift weights again—and am looking forward to the Black Friday sales.

I love previewing workouts and plan to spend a significant amount of time on YouTube.

Thank you for the great suggestions.

Old 11-01-19, 06:29 PM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sissy B View Post
I broke my hand in May and spent the summer watching the British series Midsomer Murders on Netflix. They have taken it off Netflix, but seaons 1-19 are available without a subscription on the ROKU channel if you have a ROKU and it is available on Acorn or Britbox with a subscription. To watch season 20 you have to have a subscription (or do like I did and get the DVD at the library).
Thanks for the suggestions Sissy. We have an old Roku that I haven’t seen in a while but I know it’s around here somewhere.

A broken hand sounds painful. Hope it’s all healed now.

Old 11-01-19, 07:35 PM  
gparrish

I am in my 8th month now after surgery for a Major tear in my rotator cuff and, unfortunately it was the worst case scenario: They put 4 screws in to repair the tear, removed a large bone spur, had to cut through the bicep tendon and did some extra “cleaning” of the tissue. It was absolutely horrible. I was in a sling for 2 solid months (of course on my dominant right side), the pain during physical therapy was excrutiating (almost passed out each time), and even after 8 months my shoulder is stiff, sore and very weak. I was not able to do any aerobics and, of course, weight work for 6 solid months and am at least just now back to my regular workout routine. The doctor says I need to wait at least a year before they can do another MRI given the scarring would make the results hard to read. Wish I could give you some encouraging news unless you have just a minor tear then it should be a 1000 times easier than what I went through. Best of luck and keep us posted on your recovery!
gparrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-19, 08:42 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

downton abbey.

I would also suggest meditation. the brain can go crazy sometimes, and being in recovery can make you depressed. meditation and breathing really, really work.

sorry, and hope you recover well.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-19, 11:24 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

Hope you have a smooth surgery and an easy recovery! ((((Hugs!))))

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rotator cuff, surgery