Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-19, 08:52 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good morning! Whew our temperatures dropped all of a sudden. Time to switch out my closet. My workouts have been sparse again - Abs & Core 1 from Daily Burn, PT, and yesterday was reformer PT. Getting pulled in a lot of directions.

Laura, I am impressed that you can do the camel half split pose. You've had a strong yoga practice for so long that it doesn't surprise me! I hope your back feels better by now.

Pam, that's a lot of crab walks, yikes. Driving to that Yin class, you must feel the same joy as a little kid going to grandma's house, and grandma bakes the best pies.

You're right Sherry, there are so many important factors to exercise aside from calorie burn. We tend to forget that after exercising we do continue to burn at a higher rate, and that's not factored into the instant readout.

Good morning Jackie and anyone who visits. Stay warm!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-19, 08:55 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

PS - I stumbled across a new meditation program in the app store - Thich Nhat Hanh's Plum Village. I haven't tried it out yet, but from the functions available it looks very promising.
Old 11-09-19, 06:11 PM  
cyana

Happy Week-end! Another busy week, but not quite as crazy - keeping my fingers crossed we're over the hump. Work-outs have been hit and miss - I've done a lot of my Stealth Fitness moves - spontaneously working in something at odd times - like doing a squat up to standing on toes while using the Sonicare. How handy to have the little timer from the Sonicare - you can bang out a decent number of squats in two minutes. Many counter-top push-ups, warrior 3 and balance poses while waiting on coffee, etc.

Pam - I might just do Twilight Yinyasa tonight - thanks for the suggestion. I always enjoy that one, too - even the time I had to do it in the bathroom when I had company, LOL!! Yum on the soups - the turkey coconut curry chick pea sounded really yummy but unfortunately no one else in my house would eat the curry. 70 crab walks - owie!!

Jackie - Poor Aubrey - my younger brother stuck his hand on an electric ring style burner when he was a child - I still remember those huge blisters.

Pat - Sounds like you really enjoyed your training class. One of my yoga instructors is going to be leading a week-end yoga retreat in the spring. Hoping I can go to this one. I have the seasonal closet switcheroo on my to do list for this week-end, too. I'm over winter and it isn't officially here yet!!!!

Sherry - DH got some of the dark chocolate peanut butter cups when we went to TJ''s recently - so happy he ate them up so I wouldn't be tempted. I'm with you and DH - I could eat yummy leftover soup for days and be perfectly happy.

Laura - OK....that camel half split pose is breaking my brain trying to process everything that would have to be going on! Hope your back is feeling better. I haven't used BenGay in ages, but keep a box of the Salonpas patches handy and used some a week or two ago when I did one of those minor back tweaks.

Hope all is well with Margot.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-19, 12:54 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Hello everyone!

Today’s workouts:
~Essentrics TV: Meg’s AM workout
~8 km walk
~MFML: Deep Tissue Stretch - lovely & hip focused. My hips are a bit tight....maybe from KBs & crab walks....

Welcome back Cyana! You are an amazing multitasker with your stealth fitness moves. Sometimes you just have to sneak away and seek some solitude, even when it involves doing your yoga in the bathroom. Twilight Yinyasa is a fave of mine. The yin practice I did today was one of Andrea K’s. I like her but she does talk a lot.

Pat - Hope things settle down and warm up for you, brrrr, winter is coming.... Are you enjoying Daily Burn?

Sherry - The lasagna soup sounds like a good one for a crowd. When I had all that company I made some very full pots of soup in my 6 qt IP that disappeared in one sitting.

Waving to Margot & hope all is well!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-19, 12:24 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good morning! Finally I got some activity in worth reporting about:

~ GYM for a good weights, elliptical and cable machine PT catchup
~ Nirvair's Evening Relaxation

I tried one of the Plum Village meditations but fell asleep.

Cyana it's good to see you. Love your Sonicare Squat workout, good for you. Yes, you must attend that yoga retreat, you certainly deserve a nice immersion like that.

Pam, I'm really liking Daily Burn - i'm just not burning daily. I want to try one of the dance workouts. Those PT type crabs walks, etc., really do tighten you up.

Everyone enjoy the rest of your Sunday.
Old 11-10-19, 02:13 PM  
cyana

Saturday:
MFML - Twilight YINyasa - Liz Lark. Thanks for the reminder, Pam.

Today:
YT - Jessica Smith 16 Minute Total Body Time Saving Standing Strength Circuit (no floor work). Posted 11.2.2019. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TER1wEbaOYc
YT - LWR - Chair Work-out - 10 Minute Chair Exercises at Home. Posted 10.29.2019. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PpO-sh2HD4
MFML - Wakey Shakey Up & At 'Em - Naomi Absalom.

Jessica's work-out flew by and I was peachy with the lack of floor work. I used 5's since it was the first time I'd done it. Next time I'd have some 8's or 10's handy as well as the 5's. I hadn't done any LWR work-outs recently, and was intrigued by the chair cardio. Since I didn't have a chair handy, I did it standing, which worked out fine. This would be good if you have an injury or wanted to do a short work-out while you were sitting at your desk. Naomi's practice was fun and she describes it "cheeky". She didn't pull out a yoga mat and was wearing overalls. The first part was very free-form and flowy and in some ways made me think of Essentrics. There were a couple of down dogs and planks near the end (nothing too wristy). I would do it again.

Speaking of doing yoga....what's your minimum room temperature for doing yoga? In the winter I sometimes myself shying away from doing a yoga practice because I feel cold and tight. Or I'll only do a short practice as an add on after doing something more vigorous that gets my muscles warm.

Pam - Andrea has grown on me, and I actually find her rather endearing. In the beginning I'd queue up one of her yin practices and think "OMG....does she ever stop talking?" I wasn't used to a chatty yin practice, so it was a bit of an adjustment.

Pat - I also became pretty adept at working out during conference calls. Thank goodness for the mute button!!!

Waves to ALL!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-19, 11:04 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Today’s workouts, a bit of a recovery day:
~6 km walk
~Slow Flow Yoga class - taught by my niece’s partner, he is an amazing yogi and such a nice guy. It was a lovely class!

Cyana - Glad you enjoyed Twilight Yinyasa, it’s a lovely practice. Andrea’s low key chat has grown on me too. I love her “Soothe into the Evening” yin class that’s all done at the wall. I must try Naomi’s class, it sounds fun. I’ve put Jessica’s new strength workout on my youtube play list. I like to be warm for yoga, either 72-ish or an extra sweater or jacket until I am warmed up. Some of the yoga classes I go to are quite warm, about 85-90.

Pat - Glad you're enjoying DB.

Waves to all!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-19, 09:40 AM  
laurajhawk

Last night I did my vinyasa sequence to teach this week. I'm subbing 4 classes this week - lunar tonight, vinyasa and beginners tomorrow, and vinyasa on Saturday. This morning I did a Gilad Total Body Sculpt Plus (I never remember the names of those). No dog walk because it's 12 degrees and maybe icy.
Cyana, I like it warm for yoga, ideally 72 to 80. In the winter, I close off my practice room overnight and it's warm in the morning even if the house is cool. Ironically, in summer sometimes the room is cooier since we have windows open overnight - it can get into the low 60s which means layers for yoga, and being careful about stretching.
Pam, how cool that your niece's partner is a yogi.
Pat, I love Nirvair's evening practice too.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-19, 10:06 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good morning! Yesterday featured:

~ Daily Burn Move! African
~ Sarah Beth 20 Minute Gentle Yoga
~ Listened to Sarah Beth Savasana while inverting
~ Evening beach walk

During my walk I got to see the sun dipping behind the horizon, then turn around to see the full moon rising.

I selected African dance because it is categorized as easy and also because Sherry is interested in reviews. I did not find it to be easy! She demonstrates a move on the beat, then right away takes it double time. I was expecting something like Soul Sweat or Bellyfit, and it had similar vibe/theme, but OMG it moved too fast for my body. Otherwise it was very enjoyable - music, the instructor is super, they were wearing face paint and the moves were very tribal.

Cyana, thanks for describing Lucy's chair workout, I've been interested in it. Have you tried any of her arm workouts? Those are good too. A cold room makes doing yoga seem less appealing to me. A trick I learned is to wear leg warmers. You can pull them down low over your feet and then easily pull them back if you need to be barefoot.

Pam your slow flow with family sounds so nice.

Laura you'll be teaching some great yoga this week - the lunar especially sounds like a treat.

Old 11-11-19, 10:16 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

PS - my grandniece completed her 200 YTT with a very nice ceremony at the studio. Alas, it was a teacher/students only event but there were beautiful photos on FB. I put a couple in my profile picture album if anyone wants to see.

She already has a home private session client and a local arts center will let her teach yoga there. Please wish her well on her career path.