Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-19, 02:13 PM  
Lannette

Favorite Running Socks?

My DH runs 12-15 miles a week. Usually 3-4 miles at a time. He primarily runs on our treadmill.

Please share your or your SO or DH’s favorite running socks. It would also be helpful to know what makes them a favorite.

DH currently wears plain cotton socks and has finally realized he might benefit comfort-wise from socks designed specifically for running.

TIA

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-19, 03:03 PM  
Vantreesta

I totally agree with wearing running socks vs plain cotton ones! Unfortunately I couldn't tell you what socks I wear even though I'm very happy with them. I want to say they're Avia but not sure.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-19, 03:27 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
I totally agree with wearing running socks vs plain cotton ones! Unfortunately I couldn't tell you what socks I wear even though I'm very happy with them. I want to say they're Avia but not sure.
Thank you. Are your socks cushioned?

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-19, 03:33 PM  
Erica H.

My sons (and I) really like Darn Tough socks. I think they are 25% off right now at gobros.com

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-19, 04:04 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post
Thank you. Are your socks cushioned?
I just tried to find my socks online but couldn't find the logo so I have no idea what brand they are. Some have little cushion and some don't. I think I like the bit of cushion better. Sorry I'm not more helpful!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-19, 04:48 PM  
bfit

I like Thorlos. I wear the short rolltop ones, and my husband likes the higher (calf high) ones. They are cushioned and last a long time without getting holes and thin spots.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-19, 04:59 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

I've been wearing these "No Nonsense" socks for a few years. They have a band around the arch so they don't bunch in your shoe and I like the mostly cotton fabrication. And they last a long time! I'm not sure if there's a men's equivalent though.

I used to wear socks from Road Runner Sports before that were great and lasted forever. But they changed the fabrication and I didn't like them as much anymore.

https://www.nononsense.com/socks/sof...-pair-pack.htm
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-19, 08:46 PM  
cyana

I admit I had to chuckle when I read this, Lannette, as my DH as finally seen the light when it comes to the cotton socks. First I gave him some Thor-Lo Lites and he liked those and realized they didn't tend to bunch inside his shoes once his feet got sweaty like cotton can. Now he tends to buy the multi-pack quarter sport socks from CostCo when he needs new ones. He primarily bikes and golfs these days.

I think cushioning is really personal taste and how well your feet fit into your shoes. My DH would probably be fine with some degree of cushioning. I have narrow heels and find that thicker, cushioned socks tend to cause my shoes to slip and I've gotten blisters on the bottom of my feet as well as the heels.

DH has recently gotten into compression socks and purchases those from Duluth Trading. Darn Tough, SmartWool PhD, WrightSock and Balega are some other brands that we've used and liked. Thor-Lo's tended to last forever. The thinner SmartWool PhD tended to show wear quicker than some other brands although I really like the way they fit my foot.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-19, 08:13 AM  
cyana

I checked DH's sock drawer and the socks he got from CostCo were made by Adidas. They're a nice mid-weight and have held up very well and weren't expensive.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-19, 11:33 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

My all-time favorite socks were a couple of pairs of Balegas that I got years ago but I can't afford them anymore. Now I get socks at Marshalls or TJ Maxx and current faves are Adidas and Saucony with some kind of texture on the bottom that keep my feet from sliding in my running shoes.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
running socks, socks