Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 03-17-20, 08:44 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Hi all !!

Well I still haven't exercised yet besides some push-ups and planks. I think I will try for a short walk this afternoon after the rain clears out. I think it will do me good to get some fresh air. I did go with DH to the bank and the store briefly yesterday but I'm home otherwise.

PENGUIN, well it sounds like you and hubby know how to keep yourselves occupied . I do think the restaurant won't reopen. I may not go back even if they do reopen. It's a tough job. I may just look for a part-time job locally at some point.

Waves to all. Stay safe and healthy!!

summer breeze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-20, 01:28 PM  
nora
VF Supporter

SB - PLEASE don't let those millenials into your house! It's not safe. I have banned my son and gf from coming here for now. As for DD, she's hunkered down in NYC, so not coming here. Kind of sad about your restaurant. But maybe it will turn out to be a blessing in disguise. Have a good walk, and heal up.

Yesterday: STS CST and 45 minute walk
Today: Amy B adv step#4. Also I plan to go for a walk this aft. Placed an order with TotalFitness today...looks like I'm going to need some more variety in the short term.

Stay healthy everyone!
Old 03-17-20, 04:50 PM  
patchworkpenguin

Hubby went to his Mom's house to fix his sisters car. He took a friend with him to make it easier. He's been gone 4 hours. I don't think its going well.

I dusted the back of the TV yesterday. I do this about once a month. And have somehow unhooked my DVD player and AppleTV that lets me watch YT workouts. I finally figured out I have a phone. So picture me propping my little iPhone in front of a 65" TV and using it to workout. It was pretty funny. I could hear them anyway.

I did 2 Walk a Home 1 mile workouts back to back. Basically the first two I found, both with Nick. I think I like him the best because he's funny.

I've been trying to take this opportunity to straighten things up around here and do some decluttering. I just realized Goodwill probably won't be open to take things. Hmmmm.

SB, probably best to look for something else job related. I mentioned your situation to Hubby and he predicts a lot of small businesses will be closing in the future. not a happy thought.

"An exercise in futility still counts as exercise!"

"There's a pattern to the randomness!" ~ Artie ~ Warehouse 13

"Weakness is hard, but weakness doesn't have to mean defeat!" ~ Lysa TerKeurst

"That's the only break you get, so I hope you enjoyed it" ~~Cathe, STS, Meso 2

patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-20, 09:08 PM  
cambet

Hi, Ladies,

I've been MIA for a while! I worked out once in February (I was so excited ) and came here to post about it, but somehow the message didn't save, and then I got busy again. My life has been out of control with work. That came to a screeching halt on Sunday afternoon/evening, when the governor closed all public schools and universities, and then the president of my college (a private institution) FINALLY sent a message a couple of hours later closing us down until the first week of April. That had not been the plan, but considering the new information that we learned after our Coronavirus plan was released last Thursday, I think it was the right call. I still have A LOT of work to do, but I'll be doing most of it from home.

Last month I was determined to get myself back on track fitness-wise (though I didn't actually get around to doing it), so I bought Jillian's Body Revolution. I'm not a fan of hers, but I wanted something different in a 30 minute timeframe that included cardio and weights and that felt manageable, and after watching a bunch of clips and reading reviews, I decided to go for it.

Today I did week 1, workout 1. Jillian was not too over the top for me, so I think it'll be ok. I tacked on a 15-min JS walk (1 Mile of Motivation from WS3).

SB - Wow, just like that you got the notice that the restaurant closed (and maybe permanently)?? I hope that they are able to stay afloat and reopen. A lot of the talk in my town is centered around fears of what will happen to the local restaurant industry here.

Nora - Wow, STS, even abbreviated, is impressive!

PP- I'm thinking about doing some Jessica walks as add-ons, or maybe some Leslie. I haven't been a big fan of Nick's but I might check out what is on YouTube. I hope that things work out for your DH.

Tammie - Great job with a great variety of workouts, as always!

Sherri - Interesting rotation idea! Glad you're enjoying it.

Waves to All!
Old 03-18-20, 09:49 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Hi all !!

Yesterday I went for a moderately paced 26 minute walk around my neighborhood. It's hard for me to slow down my pace but I think I did ok.
I did some push ups and planks too. I am planning another walk around the neighborhood today and hopefully something upper body.

NORA, nice job keeping up with your workouts. What did you order from Total Fitness? Yes my DS got the message of no one over the house. His gf has been coming over with him sometimes though. Her family lives across the country and she's relatively new to the area and I think it's a scary lonely time for her. We do have a family game night planned for later. I hope it works out.

PENGUIN, nice job getting some walks in with Nick. I hope hubby and his friend survived the car repair. Yes it's hard for restaurants to be able to stay open after shutting down for a period of time. My DH heard that unemployment rates will go over 20% soon I've been trying to get online to file for unemployment but the site keeps crashing on me understandably so.

CAMBET, I was just thinking of you yesterday and wondering if your university closed and you'd have some time to check in! And here you are!! I remember trying the Jillian Michaels Body Revolution set awhile back and I enjoyed what I did. I am so rotationally challenged I didn't last more than a week or two but that was my issue not the workouts. I thought they were good.

Waves to all. Have a safe and healthy day!
Old 03-18-20, 07:07 PM  
patchworkpenguin

SB, wow! 20% is a lot. and such a big jump. But I'm not really surprised considering how many places are closed or cutting back. Keep up the good work with the easy walks. Not often here we congratulate someone on slowing down.

Cambet, I was wondering if your school had closed. At least this day and age the kids can take classes online. Our neighbor said his kid was taking tuba classes online. I can't imagine. Everyone could be so far behind. My workouts have been scattered here and there depending on what Hubby and I are doing. I need to be more consistent.

I did a Jessica Smith workout today. I'm thinking about assigning an instructor to a day of the week, less thinking, more working out. I did Belly, Buns and Thighs walk. I skipped the balance work, I'm not a big fan. I remembered this one from before, I kept waiting for her to step on Peanut who was laying on the floor behind her. I'm sure that's happened.

Old 03-18-20, 11:31 PM  
cambet

Hi, Ladies,

Today I did week 1, workout 2 of JM Body Revolution. Jillian was a bit more annoying in this one. One of the background exercisers jokingly nudged her when Jillian was giving her a hard time and Jillian made a big deal about it ("how dare you?") and added on more reps for everyone (it was towards the end). I thought her reaction was a bit much and wished that she would just shut up about it and continue to give form pointers. With that said, overall I thought that the workout was good and I was excited that I could do most of it with only a few modifications. I like that it's not too fast, so I can focus on my form and try to ignore her when she becomes too much. I tacked on County Heat: Dance Mash Up (20 mins).

I also signed up for Body Groove streaming. I watched a bunch of clips and thought that it might be nice to have some guided but free-form movement at night. I did a 20 min Latin Groove w/o (w/o #2). Yes, I found Misty to be a bit annoying in this one, as well. There was a lot of time spent coming up with poses and she kept repeating the same somewhat annoying phrases A LOT (be confident, be arrogant, etc.). They are offering a 30 day free trial, so I'll give it a couple of weeks and see how it goes.

SB - I hope that your walk turned out well! It does seem like the BR DVDs are well-thought-out and manageable, so I'll probably stick with them. Thanks for thinking of me. I was just so glad to see that the check-was still here when I logged back on. Thanks for all you do to keep it going!

PP - I'm glad that we have a couple of weeks to figure out how to adapt our classes to an online platform. My classes are typically very interactive and have a lot of small group work, so I don't know how this is going to turn out, but I'll give it my best shot! I always get a little nervous about Jessica working out with Peanut on the floor near her.

Waves to All!
Old 03-19-20, 09:33 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Hi all !!

Yesterday I did a 29 minute walk around the neighborhood with DH. He never walks with me but it's a good thing he did because he walks much slower than I do and it kept my pace down . I do plan another walk today once the rain moves out and hopefully an upper body workout. Actually I'm pretty sure the stitches are healed but I don't want to take any chances until they're removed. I'm not sure how that appointment will go next week with the social distancing. I'm not looking forward to going into a waiting room with other people I haven't heard the results from the biopsy either yet. More stressful things to worry about. Well at least I finally got through to unemployment online so my claim is in.

PENGUIN, nice job with the Jessica workout. Cute idea to assign a different instructor to each day. And thanks for encouraging me to slow down

CAMBET, good job with your workouts! Yeah Jillian can definitely be annoying but I tune it out for the most part. I enjoy this check-in so much and appreciate that everyone checks in when they can and comes back to it when they can . Both my kids are teachers and are doing the remote teaching. Well DD's school extended spring break this week but she'll have to do it next week. DS's been doing it already this week.

Waves to all. Stay safe and healthy!!
Old 03-19-20, 02:33 PM  
nora
VF Supporter

Hey Cambet! Nice to see you back. the only Jillian I have is 30 day Shred and it did not inspire me to buy any more of her stuff, if you know what I mean. How many workouts are in the set you bought? I'm sure that you will find a way to work with your class effectively online.

SB - Maybe your biopsy doctor will just phone you with results. I know that happened to a friend of mine. Her doc called her on a Sunday afternoon. They don't want unnecessary contact either! Good job on the walking and getting DH out of the house for a walk.
edit: to answer question about my order...a couple of yoga, a jari, KV Stretch, a couple of pink firms, a dance thing and a couple others as well that I can't recall right now!

PP- Are the Jessica Smith workouts online and free?

Yesterday: STS Legs and 45 min walk
Today: STS B/Bi and 50 min walk

Last edited by nora; 03-19-20 at 02:47 PM. Reason: forgot something
nora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-20, 04:33 PM  
patchworkpenguin

Today I randomly picked two walking workouts. Holly Dolke 20m indoor walking and Fabulous50 17m indoor walking. Both alternated 30 seconds of walking with 30seconds of toning. I liked the second one a bit better.

Nora, yes, her YT channel is JessicaSmithTV. she has a lot of workouts, most of them filmed in her home.

SB, Better not to take chances. Hubby, with his back problems, walks slower than I do, too. Good job on unemployment. Hubby had a hard time with that and used his sailor words! I think it kept randomly kicking him offsite. And that was before all this madness. Our computer is ancient by todays standards, but we don't use it enough to warrant getting a new one. Maybe send Hubby to Best Buy and have him sneeze on one? We would probably get a discount

Cambet, At least Cindy knows better and either wants to go outside or lays out of the way. A lot of Hubby's teaching is hands on, as in you hand the student a bolt and ask him what it does, where it goes etc. And we have no way to hook up the cameras for online classes.

I'm making vegan soup for our neighbor next door. She's got strep throat and her Hubby isn't feeling well either. I've never made vegan soup so this is interesting. We had to go to 3 stores to find vegetable broth.

Home Sweet Quarantine!