Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-09, 05:13 AM  
Denise R
Exchange Moderator

Body, Bands & Rings with Lynn Hahn

Running for 60 minutes, this convenient, travel friendly workout is a complete total body strength program using bands, rings and your own body weight as resistance.

Working alone, Lynn begins with a 4.5 minute standing warmup to prepare the body and increase range of motion. Once warmed up, Lynn takes you through 48 minutes of muscle activity. Due to the fact that the workout gives back what you put into it (you determine your personal band tension based on foot/hand placement, etc), it is suitable for all fitness levels.

Hip extensions begin the set. Using a chair for balance you'll perform several sets for each leg. The squat is next. Foot placement is crucial here as this can make the squat harder (or easier) if necessary. Following is the assisted hamstring curl. This non-weighted curl uses the opposing leg as a "weight" for the working leg. (if you really apply dynamic tension, you are sure to feel it in your hamstrings) Next up is the leg adductor exercise working the inner thigh followed by the leg abductor to work the outer thighs. The former is done in a standing position, pulling the working leg across the body, while the latter is done laying on the floor with legs open into a wide V position. The next exercise is the hip flexor lift followed by several sets of pushups. One arm rows work the lat muscles in the upper back. Shoulder shrugs follow. The next sequence of exercises hit all heads of the shoulders-fronts, sides and rear. You'll perform seated shoulder press, shoulder flys and then lateral shoulder raises. The calf raise is next followed by a shin lift. Lynn always includes often forgotten muscles such as the shins, rotators and hip flexors in her workouts. Tricep extensions are next followed by several sets of bicep curls. Next up is a unique exercise to work the front and rear rotator muscles of the shoulder (I'd suggest a lighter band if needed for this muscle). Next you'll work your core. Lynn begins with several crunch variations on the floor then moves into a wonderful standing oblique crunch using the ring. You'll finish with back extensions. Lynn completes the workout with a 6 minute cooldown. She begins with standing stretches to one side, moves to seated stretches and then finishes up the standing stretches to the other side.

Lynn offers excellent form pointers throughout the session to ensure safety (and enhance benefits).

"By far the most important application is those 18 inches between the table and your mouth. Your diet. Eat clean to get rid of fat." Robert Kennedy, Oxygen Magazine

"Having the body you want starts with loving the body you have." Mandy Ingber, Shape Magazine
Denise R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-09, 05:40 AM  
sjazz78

Thanks so much for the review. I had m y eye on this one for a couple of weeks. I'm always on the lookout for workouts that travel well and this one seens to fit the bill. This will be my treat on my next payday.
( Like I really need an excuse. )
Old 06-29-09, 01:57 PM  
fitmom24

Is the ring used only for the oblique crunches?

Thanks,

Michelle
fitmom24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-09, 02:08 PM  
Denise R
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitmom24 View Post
Is the ring used only for the oblique crunches?

Thanks,

Michelle
No Michelle, she uses the ring one for several of the exercises.

"By far the most important application is those 18 inches between the table and your mouth. Your diet. Eat clean to get rid of fat." Robert Kennedy, Oxygen Magazine

"Having the body you want starts with loving the body you have." Mandy Ingber, Shape Magazine
Old 07-06-09, 05:12 AM  
normandy

Thanks that was perfect, Denise. I was just on Mary's site and thinking about ordering this. Two questions:

Where did you get the bands and rings (she recommends two strength rings - did you get two) and would fw be a good place to get these or somewhere else?

Did you happen to do her basic strength training dvd and if so, what did you think of it?

Your review was great and much appreciated, and so will any answers be!
normandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-09, 12:27 PM  
lorajc

To the Original Poster - Did you enjoy the workout? Is it somewhat fun? Did it seem effective? and were you sore the next day?
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-09, 05:03 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Denise, thanks for the review! It's hard to tell from the clips... what color (strength) rings does she use in this workout? It looks like, yellow and green.. maybe red too?
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-09, 08:14 PM  
normandy

That's three of us waiting breathlessly for your answers, Denise! Thanks in advance.
normandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-09, 11:40 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorajc View Post
To the Original Poster - Did you enjoy the workout? Is it somewhat fun? Did it seem effective? and were you sore the next day?
Judging from the way Denise worded her review I assumed she'd only previewed the workout. Denise, if you actually did do it, did you like it as a band workout?
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 04:31 AM  
Denise R
Exchange Moderator

You are right, I haven't actually done this workout personally (plan on giving it to my mother and her exercise pals at the church) because I was in the middle of my STS workouts and I wasn't doing any other strength programs. I don't recall the color of the tubing but if I get a chance, I will see if I can find out!

Denise

Tags
band workouts, body bands rings, lynn hahn, tubing workout