Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-17-09, 07:18 AM  
wnt2bfirm

If I want to Learn really good Kickboxing Form....

what dvd would you suggest? I like the look of Powerstrike but does Ilaria have a workout for beginners?

Thanks,
Tina
wnt2bfirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-09, 07:26 AM  
Inchworm

I really like Kimberly Spreen's form. She really shows you how to do front kicks where you really feel it in your obliques and abs.

Kelly
Inchworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-09, 07:29 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

If you're a real beginner I'd get Kathy Smith's Cardio Knockout video, as it has a great short-ish beginner's kickbox taught by Keith Cooke (and Keli Roberts).

Otherwise I'd get one of the newer Powerstrikes (4 or 5) and learn from the best, Ilaria. They're not intimidating and just go at your own pace.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-09, 08:08 AM  
beth22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star
Otherwise I'd get one of the newer Powerstrikes (4 or 5) and learn from the best, Ilaria. They're not intimidating and just go at your own pace.
I agree. I never had proper form (and didn't like any of the instruction I'd received in other dvd's) until I did Ilaria's workouts--she really knows her stuff. Powerstrike 5 is definetely my new favorite KB workout.
beth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-09, 08:39 AM  
KathAL79

I'm not sure if by beginner you mean new to exercise in general or just new to kickboxing. I've found kickboxing pretty modifiable up and down; it can get very intense very fast for someone new, though!

Ilaria has tutorials that run at the beginning of Powerstrikes 4 & 5 which review the punches and kicks she uses during the workouts. I agree that her attention to form is unparalleled. I had been playing with kickboxing for a years before I picked up my first Powerstrikes, but I learned so much from them. I never feel my form is as good as it is when I'm working along with one of those videos.

In addition to the Kathy Smith, which is also a good one, I'll throw out Patricia Moreno's Core Cross Train (perhaps once you get a slightly firmer grasp of kickboxing rather than right off the bat), as she worked with Ilaria and does a lot of repetitive drills that can help you nail the moves plus has great reminders about keeping your lats properly engaged and your lower body properly involved.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-09, 08:45 AM  
mmjam

Even though Cathe's kickboxing isnt meant for beginners, in KPC she explains correct form for all the punches & kicks.
mmjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-09, 10:36 AM  
kbehymer

For form, Powerstrike, for sure!! I don't have Powerstrike 5 yet, but 4 has a very doable pace and is low impact (doesn't take up a lot of space to do, either). If it is too long, you can just skip the combos and do the drills. This is one of my all time favorite workouts!
Krista
kbehymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-09, 10:49 AM  
beth22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbehymer
For form, Powerstrike, for sure!! I don't have Powerstrike 5 yet, but 4 has a very doable pace and is low impact (doesn't take up a lot of space to do, either). If it is too long, you can just skip the combos and do the drills. This is one of my all time favorite workouts!
Krista
I love how low impact the Powerstrikes are but at the same time really get my heart rate up. Slap on a pair of weighted gloves with Ilaria's workouts and you're in for quite the sweat-fest!
beth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-09, 11:32 AM  
wnt2bfirm

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I will get Powerstrike. Does anyone know where to get Powerstrike 4? I see on Collage they have Powerstrike 5 and just plain Powerstrike. Is this an older one?

Thanks,
Tina
wnt2bfirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-09, 11:38 AM  
KathAL79

Tina, the Powerstrike without the number at Collage is #4. (It was the first one Ilaria did on her own, so I don't think she made a big deal about the number.)

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kickboxing, powerstrike