Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Getting Started with Videos > Beginners FAQ

Old 03-13-02, 11:57 AM  
SEMO

New to Yoga and need some advice.

I just recently purchased my first begining yoga tape and found it to be a challenge but yet felt so good to stretch. By no means did I get anywhere close to touching the floor with my hands, but I need to increase my flexibility. Well on with the questions: First let me say that I'm 52 years young and am fairly active. The tape that I purchased is about an hour long and I find it difficult because of time to do the whole thing at one setting.
Questions - yes I'm getting there.
1. Would I get as much benefit if I broke the session into two 30 min workouts or can you do different poses throughout the day?
2. How many days per week should one do yoga. It feels so good I would love to do it daily, but I also feel that I need an aerobic workout too.

Would love any and all advise on this subject and I am totally new so even the things that you think that I know I probably don't. I should say that classes are not offered in my area so I really do not have anyone to seek advice from.

Many thanks.
Old 06-24-03, 08:28 AM  
sidmonkey

kathy smith gives good instruction

even though I think Kathy Smith tries to be in on too many aspects of fitness to be an expert at any, she gives good yoga instruction without talking so much about breathing and the spiritual side - I found it much easier to learn the poses from her before moving to more expert yoga instructors
I have never seen Yoga Zone videos but I used to have a half-hour show on my sat. dish that was excellent for beginners and intermediate instruction.
sidmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-03, 02:16 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Re: New to Yoga and need some advice.

Quote:
Originally posted by SEMO
1. Would I get as much benefit if I broke the session into two 30 min workouts or can you do different poses throughout the day?
2. How many days per week should one do yoga. It feels so good I would love to do it daily, but I also feel that I need an aerobic workout too.
I'm no yoga expert, but I think you can definitely break it down into smaller segments to do throughout the day! In fact, Rodney Yee's "Yoga for Energy" does just that--each segment is designed to be used at different times of the day. You could also try his AM Yoga and Patricia Walden's PM Yoga; each are only 20 minutes long. You're right, you do need the aerobic workout too, but how about doing just a few yoga poses daily? Just pick your favorite poses and spend time doing them every day!

Beth
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-03, 11:34 AM  
zafiro80

i think any yoga series by Gaiam is perfect for beginners. There is a beginners tape and a set thatw ill take you from beginer to advanced and it' s well worth the investment. www.gaiam.com

my mother uses it and she loves it. and besides Rodney Yee ( one of the instructors ) is too cute to pass up.

hope that helps
Old 10-16-03, 11:41 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Re: Suggestions for an Beginners Yoga Video??

Quote:
[i]I don't really like Patricia Walden's Yoga for Beginners. (There's something about the 1985 set, her creepy voice, and her strange eyes that turns me off).[/B]
I'm definitely with you there! I found this tape helpful when I was first learning yoga with videos, but as soon as I had all of the basic poses down, I traded it away. I second the votes for Suzanne Deason's Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss, which is a very basic, gentle workout. She provides some instruction but does assume a familiarity with the poses. For more intense stretching, I also like Rodney Yee's Yoga Conditioning for Athletes. I've NEVER been athletic, but this is a really good video with lots of instruction and modifications.

Beth
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-03, 09:28 PM  
Seabush

I just completed Yoga Journal's Yoga Step-by-Step The Total Guide to Beginning Your Home Practice (Session 1). This is a great tape for beginners. I haven't found anything like it. I have the DVD version which offers lots of information on form and the benefits of yoga. I highly recommend this tape for beginners.

Crystal
Seabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-03, 09:41 PM  
GymRatt
VF Supporter

Crystal -

I'm so glad someone else has posted about this. It's really a fantastic DVD! I can't wait to get #2 & #3.

A few days ago, I posted a mini-review...this is the yoga video I've always wished for!

GymRatt

Edited to add link to mini-review: http://205.214.68.83/vbulletin/showt...a+step+journal
GymRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-03, 09:46 PM  
Seabush

Quote:
Originally posted by GymRatt
Crystal -

I'm so glad someone else has posted about this. It's really a fantastic DVD! I can't wait to get #2 & #3.

A few days ago, I posted a mini-review...this is the yoga video I've always wished for!

GymRatt
I bought it based on your recommendation. This is a gem of a workout. I've collected about eight yoga tapes in the last month. They are all excellent tapes but none has this level of instruction. Yoga probably is best learned by going to a class and getting instruction from a good teacher but this is the next best thing to attending a yoga class.

Crystal
Seabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-03, 12:10 PM  
zafiro80

i think he also has a set of am and pm yoga tapes which are him on the beach during the am and pm (duh i know) ...i just got the new catalog fro gaiam and there are some really good sales going on.
Old 12-06-03, 12:11 PM  
zafiro80

naturaljourneys.com also has yoga tapes which are pretty good you may want to check that out too.

Tags
alan finger, beginners, faq, yoga