Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion > Workout/Fitness FAQs

Old 10-08-04, 12:21 PM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

Exclamation RESULTS ARE IN!!!! The Ultimate Guide to Cathe Workouts!

First, big thank you to all of you who took the time to score Cathe's workouts so that a ranking system could be developed. It was very much appreciated.

Below you will find all of Cathe's current workouts categorized and ranked from easiest to hardest. In addition to the ranking, you will notice a score next to each title. Each workout was scored on a scale of 1 to 10. A 1 represents a workout that is quite easy and is well suited for a beginner exerciser. A 5 represents a workout that is not easy, yet not very hard, and is well suited for a intermediate exerciser. A 10 represents a workout that has an 'OH MY GOSH' factor, is very intense, and challenges even the most advanced exerciser. Hopefully by including the score each workout received you will be able to pick workouts suited to your current fitness level.

Total Body Weight Workouts
1. How to Get in Shape for Your Wedding (weight portion only)- 3.44
2. Push Pull- 5.54
3. Supersets- 5.94
4. Power Hour- 7.55
5. Maximum Intensity Strength- 7.72
6. Muscle Endurance- 7.83

Upper Body Workouts
1. Basic Step Upper Body section- 3.67
2. Pure Strength Back, Biceps, and Abs- 6.65
3. Pure Strength Chest, Shoulders and Triceps- 6.85
4. CTX Upper body- 7.65
5. Slow and Heavy Chest and Back- 7.83
6. Slow and Heavy Biceps and Triceps- 7.87
7. Slow and Heavy Shoulders (part of S&H Legs and Shoulders- 7.95
8. Pyramid Upper Body- 8.15

Lower Body Workouts
1. Basic Step Lower Body section- 2.71
2. Slow and Heavy Legs (part of S&H Legs and Shoulders)- 7.53
3. Pure Strength Legs and Abs- 7.60
4. Pyramid Lower Body- 7.83
5. Legs and Glutes- 7.96
6. Leaner Legs- 8.70

Step Cardio (where step cardio is the dominate feature in the workout)
1. Basic Step- 2.64
2. How to Get in Shape for Your Wedding (step portion only)- 4.15
3. Step N Motion 1- 4.33
4. Step Heat- 4.94
5. Step Jam- 5.14
6. Mega Step Blast- 5.38
7. Step Max- 5.46
8. All Step- 6.14
9. Step Fit- 6.74
10. Power Max- 6.90
11. Rhythmic Step- 6.96
12. Step Works- 7.05
13. Step Blast- 7.50

Other Cardio (where step in NOT the dominate form of cardio)
1. CTX Kickbox- 6.31
2. 10*10*10- 6.42
3. Cardio Kicks- 7.07
4. Kick Punch & Crunch- 7.66
5. Maximum Intensity Cardio- 9.55

Circuit Workouts
1. Body Fusion- 4.31
2. High Step Circuit- 5.27
3. Cardio and Weights- 6.79
4. Power Circuit- 7.00
5. Step, Jump, & Pump- 7.20
6. Circuit Max- 8.47
7. High Step Training Advanced- 8.80
8. Body Max- 8.98
9. Bootcamp- 9.05

Interval Cardio
1. Step and Intervals- 6.94
2. IMAX 2- 8.97
3. IMAX- 9.46

Compilation DVD's
1. Timesaver- 5.90
2. The Terminator- 9.77

The most popular Cathe workout (the workout that received the most votes) is IMAX 2!!!!!!

Hope people find this helpful when considering future Cathe purchases and making recommendations to friends and family.

P.S. Moderators- Is there any way to also have this post added to the everything Cathe thread or saved in some way?

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-04, 12:23 PM  
KayM

People actually LIKE IMAX 2? What, are you people nuts???

I am puzzled by why Slow and Heavy is marked so high (i.e. not good for a beginner). I got this set when I was a total beginner, and it was fantastic for me! The lower body section kicked my butt even without any weights, but overall I thought they were really good tapes for a beginner.

Can someone who disagrees post here so I can get insight on that? Maybe I wasn't approaching it from the right angle.
KayM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-04, 12:28 PM  
homegymmie

Thanks so much for this list! However, when you say EASY workout, do you mean EASY in intensity and EASY in choreography? Because I can do IMAX pretty well and intensity wise, it is tough but the choreography is easy to pick up (your rating is 9.46). OTOH, I have a problem with the complexity in choreography of Rhythmic Step (and you rated it 6.96), Step Blast and Step Works. So I guess these ratings refer to workout intensity and not choreography?
homegymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-04, 12:29 PM  
Patti S.
VF Supporter

Super job, Sabine!!!

Thanks so much for taking the time to do this
Old 10-08-04, 12:30 PM  
Gatorfan76

Talking Great Job!!

YOU GO GIRL!! YOU DID AN AWESOME JOB! THAT WAS A LOT OF WORK!!

-CHERYL
Gatorfan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-04, 12:32 PM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegymmie
Thanks so much for this list! However, when you say EASY workout, do you mean EASY in intensity and EASY in choreography?
Choreography was not a criteria when people were asked to score a workout. They were asked to score a workout much like they would score themselves on a perceived exertion scale. I agree with you that scoring Cathe's workouts on complexity of choreography would look a lot differently than this list!

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
Old 10-08-04, 12:33 PM  
homegymmie

Thank you just the same You did a great job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchgirl
Choreography was not a criteria when people were asked to score a workout. They were asked to score a workout much like they would score themselves on a perceived exertion scale. I agree with you that scoring Cathe's workouts on complexity of choreography would look a lot differently than this list!
homegymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-04, 12:33 PM  
tiny_dancer

As someone who has never done a Cathe video (mostly due to the fact that I can't buy them at retail stores), I'm glad to see a list like this so that once I can better afford it, I'll know where to begin. I'm certainly no beginner to exercise in general, but I'd still be new to HER. And it's no wonder people might be intimidated by her, if their first experience with her is with the "Step Works" video that's often included with a Step brand aerobic step, and that's a level 7 workout. I'll probably start with low 5's and work my way up, though I'm sure I'll end up with quite a mixture if I end up buying some of those DVD compilations that have 2-4 workouts on them.

"A new study says that one of the advantages of the treadmill is that it's the highest calorie burner of the exercises. And the other advantage is that hamsters can now laugh at us." ~Johnny Robish
tiny_dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-04, 12:36 PM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayM
I am puzzled by why Slow and Heavy is marked so high (i.e. not good for a beginner). I got this set when I was a total beginner, and it was fantastic for me! The lower body section kicked my butt even without any weights, but overall I thought they were really good tapes for a beginner.

Can someone who disagrees post here so I can get insight on that? Maybe I wasn't approaching it from the right angle.
Kay-

I think most of the advanced or higher scoring workouts can be modified so that a beginner or intermediate could use them simply by lowering the weight, keeping moves low impact, doing fewer reps, etc. My guess would be that most people scored the workouts with the thought of doing them as close to the way Cathe does it as possible.

Beginners or Intermediates- Don't get too hung up on the numbers or rankings. Almost all of Cathe's workouts can be modified to your fitness level!

Old 10-08-04, 12:41 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Thanks, Sabine!

Where's Fit & Firm (1985)? I actually have this one!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe friedrich, faq