Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-08-20, 02:13 PM  
KarenH

I don't know if some can relate but all my life I was estrogen dominant which caused me to carry excess weight, heavy and painful periods as I was low in progesterone to counter the estrogen. After menopause when the estrogen decreases but the progesterone levels can go way down to almost zero. Progesterone is needed by the thyroid to work properly and after menopause I had low thyroid and put on meds. I finally went to a hormone doctor who tested me and I have hardly any progesterone. He put me on progesterone cream daily (put in my private parts and not on the skin as this can cause dermal fatigue) and after building up some in my body I am decreasing my thyroid meds and he is hopeful that with time after my body becomes saturated with progesterone I will be off the thyroid and only take daily progesterone. If you google Dr. John Lee (progesterone) on you tube he has a great speech about the many benefits of using progesterone which affects the heart, allergies, our sleep, helps build bone as in osteoporosis, affects our moods and so much more. He also said men should use progesterone as like women any fat on our bodies produces estrone ( a type of estrogen produced from our fat cells) which means men and women with some belly fat can be estrogen dominant and need progesterone to counter it. My husband who is 71 started taking some (also put on his privates) and after a few months noticed more energy less cold (as it affects the thyroid) and has lost some of the belly fat. He also has osteoporosis from taking daily Nexium and we hope progesterone will help his bones.
Old 02-09-20, 10:31 AM  
juliel
VF Supporter

I’ve been streaming more in the last few years. I started following Pahla B and was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed her workouts. She has recently devoted more workouts to women around 40 and over. You may want to check her channel out. She just had a month long series that was really good. I also do other routines. I listen to my body a lot more these days.

"One cat just leads to another." - Ernest Hemingway
juliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-20, 04:17 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

I find as I get older that NEAT (non-exercise activity) is super important. It's my baseline movement and activity that I need to keep up.

I gained about 30 pounds between when I started nursing school and my first two years of nursing. HUGE amount of stress in that transition, and I went through menopause during that time. Broke my ankle and didn't work out for almost a year, too.

Starting my workouts back up was HUGE. Even with no dietary changes, it STOPPED the gain. Since then, with exercise AND dietary changes, I'm down 18 of those pounds, and that without dieting particularly strictly.

I'm doing more strength than I have ever done, and less cardio. It's what my body needs now. (however, the strength I am doing DEFINITELY gets my heart rate up! Stuff like Body Pump and Cathe's Muscle Endurance, that kind of thing. Butt-kickers.) But also, between having a very active job and a bigger house than I've ever had, I get in a LOT of steps in a day, and that baseline activity level makes a bigger difference than almost anything else in my overall calorie burn, which is probably why I don't have to diet super strictly to lose weight. I keep control of my caloric intake, but I still have occasional sweets and treats. It's certainly livable.

It's easy for your overall activity level to decrease as your life responsibilities (spelled K-I-D-S) decrease, so keep yourself busy! Get a dog! (haha. Don't get a dog unless you want one; but needing to walk the dog is pretty helpful, I tell ya!)
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-20, 04:29 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Hey Sue,
I'm a year post menopause and I find what's working for me is trying to eat the same foods during the week, meaning that I don't have a ton of variety. They are all foods I enjoy, and I know the calorie count on them so I don't have to keep a food journal. I also do moderate IF, meaning that I eat within a certain window. PM if you want to know more. I have lost most of the menopause weight and have a few pounds left to work off. I am concentrating on weighted workouts and no cardio to speak of, other than walking. I try to remind myself to get up and move during the day. If you are having trouble sleeping at night, night sweats, etc., I would try to address those. I've found that REM sleep is very important for burning calories, and there are so many other health benefits from a good night sleep.

~Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-20, 01:34 PM  
AnnieO

I haven't read everyones posts yet, but I would recommend watching Menopause Taylors videos on YouTube. She's quite the character, but she gives excellent information regarding all things menopause and aging. I've taken her advice and have focused on incorporating more fruits and vegetables into every meal.
As for working out, I don't really view it as a way to lose weight anymore, rather as a means to maintain my bone health, overall strength and balance as well as a stress reliever and a sleep aid. My favorites are Kelly Coffee (using all of the low impact modifications, The Firm (ditto), Ballet Beautiful and yoga.
One things that Dr. Taylor recommends is doing what works best for your body and "managing your expectations" because you can't be the same as you were at 20, 30, 40....
That's what I'm trying to do, but it's not easy
AnnieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-20, 05:35 AM  
Negin

I had bookmarked this video to watch later well over a year ago. I finally got to see it yesterday. It's well worth the 42 minutes. I broke it up and didn't watch it all at once. Losing weight is one thing, but keeping it off and maintaining is a whole other ball game. If you are interested in losing, but mostly maintaining, this video is great. It's based on studies and is solid and sound.
Old 02-14-20, 09:58 AM  
fanofladyvols

I find I have to have effective and/or longer warmups and cooldown/stretches. When I was younger, I would be saying let's get ON with it....not anymore. I have a built a good library of soothing workouts too.

I would checklist my workout when I was younger. Now I try new things/harder workouts to challenge myself. Exciting when I can, not the end of the world if my modifications modifications don't work. On to the next challenge.

It has become wonderful me time and I wouldn't want to go back to feeling exercise was drudgery something I HAD to do like I used to when I was younger.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-20, 11:56 AM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negin View Post
I had bookmarked this video to watch later well over a year ago. I finally got to see it yesterday. It's well worth the 42 minutes. I broke it up and didn't watch it all at once. Losing weight is one thing, but keeping it off and maintaining is a whole other ball game. If you are interested in losing, but mostly maintaining, this video is great. It's based on studies and is solid and sound.
Good video! The energy gap really emphasizes the need for physical activity. Emphasis on mindset and linking of goals to behavior so true!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-20, 01:25 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negin View Post
I agree, really good video. Thanks for linking it!
Old 02-14-20, 06:11 PM  
Lori_Michigan

I know I am in the middle of perimenopause -- mid 40s, gained 20 pounds in two years (all in my stomach), went up 2 bra sizes and cup sizes, lots of iron and vitamin deficiencies, really wonky and bizarre symptoms that I never had before, nerve issues, digestion issues, poor sleep, sleep apnea, horrible PMS, irregular cycle lengths, very heavy periods, the list goes on and on!

Has anyone successfully lost any weight *during* perimenopause? I can't do heavy weights anymore, I can't do high impact cardio. I am just coming off a year of medical issues, so I'm just getting back into working out. My digestion has been very poor since I had my gallbladder out last year. I still have anemia since I can't digest iron pills, so I've been really trying to eat really nutrient dense foods since last year. So unfortunately, cutting back on foods kind of isn't in the cards right now.

I'm just feeling like this perimenopause train is running me over and quite literally nothing works anymore!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, gall bladder, menopausal weight gain, menopause, multiple workouts per day, over 50, sleep, sparks, weight loss