Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-13-17, 12:49 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I'm 51 and not quite menopausal yet. I haven't had a period since January so if I don't have another one in the next few months, I guess I'll be considered menopausal. I was always thin when I was younger and it was effortless, but when I hit 45 or so, I started gaining weight. I'm not overweight, but I'm about 20 lbs heavier than I was then and it's mostly around the middle. As Kathy G said, I also wear pants with elastic waistbands because it's just more comfortable and hides the flab better.

I exercise almost every day but it doesn't make much of a difference in my appearance anymore so I've given up on that happening and now exercise more for health and strength. Would I like to look like I did in my early 40's? Sure, but I think those days are over. I also need to get a handle on my diet because after a lifetime of eating whatever I wanted and never gaining an ounce, it's tough to retrain the brain! I also wish I could retire because I think work stress has a lot to do with the weight gain at this age too.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-17, 01:37 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

My weight gain was during perimenopause, which was six glorious years of fibroids with accompanying cramps and heavy, erratic, sometimes months-long bleeding. During that time, my set-point weight went up about ten pounds, from the low 140s to the low-mid 150s. No matter how well I ate or how hard I worked out, it was labor to get the number on the scale to move and it happened very gradually; like, half a pound per month if i was lucky. Even with overall improvement in my fitness levels, my weight stayed higher.

I'm a shade over 5'7" and my perimeno set-point was not overweight, but definitely at the upper end of my BMI range and the upper end of where I feel good as far as appearance. Plus those extra ten-plus pounds made things like pushups harder on my wrists, and a nagging joint injury in my foot flared up.

I hit full-on menopause/cessation of my period in August of this year, and I'm back down around 140 pounds with most of the weight almost falling off between April and August. I have been consistent with my workouts and also made a couple of drastic changes to my eating over the last year (discovered two triggers of major digestive upsets, so now I don't have to live on Beano anymore, yay!). But I do believe some of the weight loss is straight hormonal changes in my body between perimenopause and menopause. During peri I had a couple of my best fitness years ever as far as reaching strength and consistency goals, but my weight stayed high. My strength and consistency right now are about a 6.5 out of 10 but my weight stays down. Go figure.

So I'm hoping my post-menopausal body changes will be in the same direction, less body fat and lower weight without having to be super-strict on diet and fitness to maintain. I don't think my workout routines are the only key to keeping weight off or losing weight, but they help me increase muscle, elevate my mood, and want to make better food choices.
Old 10-13-17, 01:38 PM  
marki64

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveVA View Post
For me, it's all down to food. I had convinced myself that I have been eating healthy all this time when, in fact, I had not. It took being honest with myself about my food choices.
This is me too. I am 53 and have always been slim. In February I notice my stomach felt and looked as if a pillow was stuffed in there. I though it was holiday weight gain. I actually have exercised more (since having a dog) and worked out more often. I couldn't figure out what the problem was. Certainly it must be a huge tumor. Ha! I do eat healthy, but I had a realization in the past couple months, that now I had to give in to portion control. It has everything to do with the food, not the exercise. Sorry guys, but that is the truth. Now there could be a huge discussion whether we blame weight gain on menopause or age. IMO, I think it's age. Again, that's my opinion. I exercise less and eat less. What I mean about exercise less, is not doing as long and grueling workouts as I used to. I still love a good sweatfest workout, but I just don't workout as long. I also walk my dog every single day unless it is raining. Often twice on weekends. I have reduced certain things in my diet. It really wasn't as hard as I though it would be. Since we can't discuss that here, I won't. But it's really commonsense. We just don't want to give in. I can't eat like I use to. I have more energy and sleep great.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-17, 03:40 PM  
Jeanne Marie

I'll be 61 in a few weeks. I went through menopause at age 53. I had a few months of insomnia, but otherwise no issues, including no weight gain. My body shape is the same, with the exception of added muscle definition in the last 2 years due to my workout choices.

I still maintain a tough workout schedule. I eat the right things to fuel my body, and avoid those things that don't. I don't know what made the difference for me. Reading about the different experiences everyone has had makes me think that genetics play a huge part in what happens to each of us as we age.
Old 10-13-17, 04:06 PM  
momofcha

Wow, what an interesting thread. I am in the midst of it myself and I am also gaining. No matter what I do, I can't lose. For now, at least I seem to have stopped the gaining. It came out of nowhere. I do agree it's all about diet and I'm really trying not to stress over it. I cut back on my workouts, nothing happens. I just work out to be healthy.

Not much more I can do, without stressing myself out worrying about it.

I am looking forward to the 80 Day Obsession as she is going to include timed macros. I think there is something to that, on when to eat carbs, etc. so I am very interested with how this plays out.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-17, 04:22 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofcha View Post
Wow, what an interesting thread. I am in the midst of it myself and I am also gaining. No matter what I do, I can't lose. For now, at least I seem to have stopped the gaining. It came out of nowhere. I do agree it's all about diet and I'm really trying not to stress over it. I cut back on my workouts, nothing happens. I just work out to be healthy.

Not much more I can do, without stressing myself out worrying about it.

I am looking forward to the 80 Day Obsession as she is going to include timed macros. I think there is something to that, on when to eat carbs, etc. so I am very interested with how this plays out.
Me too Sue! I am really looking forward to 80 Day Obsession!
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-17, 07:21 PM  
Lori_Michigan

I think I'm in perimenopause based on my symptoms in the past year (mid-40s now). My upper stomach (I'm short so have no torso) has started looking distended, but it's really bad right before my period. It hadn't even occurred to me that it could be perimenopause related until I started doing some research into, and it's likely the increased cortisol (from stress), drop in estrogen and progesterone, and hence rise in insulin as a result of the perfect hormone storm.

It would be interesting to know if gaining weight in the middle of the body is the norm, or if others gain weight in other areas?
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-17, 07:22 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
I think I'm in perimenopause based on my symptoms in the past year (mid-40s now). My upper stomach (I'm short so have no torso) has started looking distended, but it's really bad right before my period. It hadn't even occurred to me that it could be perimenopause related until I started doing some research into, and it's likely the increased cortisol (from stress), drop in estrogen and progesterone, and hence rise in insulin as a result of the perfect hormone storm.

It would be interesting to know if gaining weight in the middle of the body is the norm, or if others gain weight in other areas?
Most of the women I know who have been through this stage have complained about getting thick through the middle. I think I've read that that's normal as hormone levels drop.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-17, 08:32 PM  
cherimac

I gained 20 pounds between 44 and 48. I totally changed how I exercise...it is much less intense these days. And I tweaked my diet. That weight is gone now. I am 52 and not quite menopausal as I had a period this June after 11 months without one. Sigh.
Old 10-13-17, 09:28 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

I am 66 and went through menopause years ago. I was able to lose most (not all) of the weight I gained while going through the change. The primary difference for me is not my weight but my body shape, i.e. my middle is larger, my skin is saggier, and generally aging has occurred. I still exercise almost every day, I still feel fit, but as Bonnie Raitt says "Those lines are pretty hard to take when they're staring back at you."
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
menopause, post menopause