Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-13-17, 07:53 AM  
BunnyHop

My weight gain occurred at perimenopause, but since I had a fibroid that was causing bleeding, I'm not entirely sure when actual menopause began. I had a hysterectomy back last winter and for a while my weight was stable, but in the last month or so I've gained a few pounds.

I'm hoping it's part of the stress from the hurricanes that have been threatening the area and that life will get back to normal. (Scurrying around getting ready for the threat of a storm throws life into chaos even if the storm goes elsewhere.)

For the most part, it does seem that my weight responds well to regular exercise and healthy eating, but it's true that my habits aren't always the best. (I seem to be a sugarholic.)
Old 10-13-17, 08:09 AM  
LoveVA

I've been in menopause since 2013. Over that time, I've dropped about 25 pounds and am at my fittest and slimmest since high school. For me, it's all down to food. I had convinced myself that I have been eating healthy all this time when, in fact, I had not. It took being honest with myself about my food choices.
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-17, 08:14 AM  
zoegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
I'm 61, menopause was a fairly easy process, but I've gained 10-15 lbs over the last decade, despite working out 5 to 6 days a week, mostly in the middle. For the most part, I've been unable to lose it. Very frustrating.

Carol
My experience exactly, except that I'm 56 and it's been about 8 years. Frustrating, but I'm almost to the point of acceptance. I'm healthy and not technically overweight, just fluffier around the middle than I want to be. One blogger I read said that she is kind of thankful that she struggles to maintain her weight. If she was naturally thin, she probably would not be as motivated to exercise and eat healthier. So I am just trying to stay healthy and keep my weight in check.
zoegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-17, 09:43 AM  
TinaT

I'm 52 and in the midst of it. I've been having hot flashes/night sweats for 2 years off and on. I gained at least 20 lbs, but was overweight to begin with. As of right now, I've dropped 29.2 lbs in 32 weeks.

It's taken me a long time to realize and accept that I needed to be kinder to my body than I had been. It is possible to lose the weight and be fit and healthy during this season of life. It's taking longer than I want, but it's happening.

Good luck ~
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-17, 10:10 AM  
Demeris

I'm 60 and several years past menopause. I gained 40 pounds in four months with no change in diet or exercise--in the year previous to the cessation of menses.

Perimenopause and menopause were truly the most horrible physical experiences of my life (and this includes a hideous school bus wreck at 14--the bus plunged off a bridge onto a dry riverbed, bouncing first when it hit the cement slab that bolstered the bridge).

I had to really look at my diet, my sleep, my stress levels, and my exercise. I overhauled my diet and my stress (I retired!!!!!). I had to dial back on exercise for a while, too.

I am now healthier than I was before the weight gain and have lost almost all of the perimenopausal weight gain.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-17, 10:15 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I'm in peri-menopause and I have gained around 15lbs over the past few years. Sometimes I manage to get some of it off, but then it comes back. I'm trying to just roll with it a bit, hoping that once I"m on the other side of the peri bridge, I'll settle back a little more to where I used to be, but who knows??
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-17, 10:47 AM  
Aunt Famous

Hey, friends.

I am 49, and I am 10 pounds heavier than I was two years ago.

It feels like I gained the weight in about a week, instead of gradually over a two-year period. Looking at my Fitbit weight log, I'm not too far off that estimate. I gained 10 pounds between December 2015 and April 2016.

I try to eat clean, and lately, I have upped my activity level, modified my workouts, and added classes for some variety.

Like other posters have mentioned, I have tried to be very kind to myself. Sure, I take great care of myself -- I have worked on eating well, sleeping more, and moving. But I have also reminded myself that I am getting older and that my life needs some pleasure. (This is a fancy way of saying it isn't a mortal sin to occasionally eat and enjoy really good fried chicken.)

One of the things that has really helped -- and it's been a huge surprise to me -- is that I quit coloring my hair in May. I have always had red hair, a fiction that my hairdresser has helped me maintain for about 8 years. Thanks to vacations, I missed some appointments, got some roots, and had a husband who asked me to step away from the bottle (of dye, y'all).

So I did.

My hair is now growing in, all salt and pepper, and when I look in the mirror, I can see that I am nearly a 50 year old woman. But not in a bad way. Not at all. The grey hair reminds me to be kind to myself. (I've been blogging some lately about the grey hair/kind to self stuff, so if you're interested, look for my stories called "Roots" and "Dear Sugars.")

One woman's story. I'm not urging a revolt here.

AF

Check out my blog at www.typeALC.com
Aunt Famous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-17, 10:53 AM  
Aunt Famous

Oh!

I read the original post.

As for body change, I look like myself, still an hourglass, just an hourglass that's a little bigger. The activity has not done much of anything to budge my weight. It will go down a little, up a little, and then settle in at the same #$%* number.

Since weight loss seems out of the question, at least for now, I have started to focus on things that I enjoy that will serve my aging body. So in most weeks, I do this:

Dance class once a week (great for mental acuity)
Lift weights three times a week, 20 minutes a session (muscle gain/maintenance)
Walk every single day (mental clarity, bone-building, incredible for health numbers)
Ninja obstacle course class once a week (functional fitness)
Spin class once or twice a week (great for heart)
Pilates/yoga practice once or twice a week (flexibility)

AF

Check out my blog at www.typeALC.com
Aunt Famous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-17, 11:36 AM  
Kathleen Ann

Same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
I'm 61, menopause was a fairly easy process, but I've gained 10-15 lbs over the last decade, despite working out 5 to 6 days a week, mostly in the middle. For the most part, I've been unable to lose it. Very frustrating.

Carol
I am the same age and I no longer have a middle. I have the Michelin Man look. Roll upon roll upon roll. My clothes don’t fit unless they are stretchy and I refuse to buy more. The doctor has been playing with my thyroid medication but I don’t think that has caused it. I have my moms genes only in smaller amounts.
Old 10-13-17, 12:24 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

I'm 54 and I've gained 30 lbs. the last 7 years and it's been mostly around my mid-section. This is the heaviest I've ever been in my life (even more than at the end of my three pregnancies). What I don't like the most is not having a waist, just rolls...lol.

Elastic has become my best friend. I buy all my dress pants, shorts and jeans with elastic waistbands, leggings have become my favorite thing to wear. I decided to invest in clothes that made me feel comfortable so I don't spend all day tugging at my middle because a top is too clingy. So I bought longer tunic style tops to camouflage my middle and I actually feel more at ease now. Plus now that the weather is cooling, I can pull out my cardigans that hide even more, lol.

I really hope that losing this extra bodyfat (it's not even about the scale number for me as much as the extra fluff) will be easier as I get older. I feel like I'm just fighting a losing battle right now and trying to lose this extra weight/bodyfat is impossible.

I'd love to hear what has worked for others during this time in life.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
menopause, post menopause