Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-12-17, 09:32 PM  
Genevieve M

how much weight did you gain after menopause?

Hi.

I went through 'the change' eight years ago at the age of 52. It was really a non-event; I was going through radiation for breast cancer treatments, and things just stopped.

From then up until last year, I kept my weight steady by sensible eating, staying active (walking, bike riding) and dvd's of all types - Cathe, Tae Bo, yoga, kickboxing, weights, TRX, etc.

This year, I put on weight very quickly, mostly in the mid-section. I don't know if it's the medication I'm taking, or if menopause weight gain has finally caught up with me.

VFers - how did your body change after menopause? Did your workout routines keep the weight off? I didn't think a 30-lb weight gain would bother me, but it does. I dream of my skinny days.

Thanks for any info you can give.
Genevieve M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-17, 12:21 AM  
keilan00

I'm sorry you're going through this. I remember your post from a couple months ago. I googled the medication and many people report rapid weight gain.

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=101640

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/...t-gain--185898
keilan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-17, 01:57 AM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Between my mid-forties and my mid-fifties when menopause was finally over, I put on between 15-20 pounds (I say that because that's how much it fluctuates), 90% of it in mm midsection and chest.

I'm now 64, exercise almost every day--although no puke in the bucket stuff, I never liked that--and things have stabilized weight wise, although it still likes to shift around.

I was never skinny, always muscular but I did have a nice shape. Those days are gone forever, but I enjoy life, movement, and being fit.

Sorry to read about the drug related weight gain--I've known people thrown into full blown diabetes by some medications. Can you try changing?

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-17, 02:38 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer R View Post
I've known people thrown into full blown diabetes by some medications.
a good friend of mine, a male EMT in fact, is in a diabetic state after having taken a steroid-based medication for rash!!! he's not sure if it will be permanent. he's been taken off that medication, but is monitoring his blood sugar.

regarding my personal experience, i'm ~2 years post-meno, and i gained 3-5#. last year, i completed the Dean Ornish heart disease reversal program via my medical plan, which involved switching to a plant-based diet and daily meditation/breathing to control stress. i'm happy to say it's helped prevent any additional weight gain.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-17, 03:17 AM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
a good friend of mine, a male EMT in fact, is in a diabetic state after having taken a steroid-based medication for rash!!! he's not sure if it will be permanent. he's been taken off that medication, but is monitoring his blood sugar.

regarding my personal experience, i'm ~2 years post-meno, and i gained 3-5#. last year, i completed the Dean Ornish heart disease reversal program via my medical plan, which involved switching to a plant-based diet and daily meditation/breathing to control stress. i'm happy to say it's helped prevent any additional weight gain.
It shouldn't be permanent for your friend, bzar--he must be really sensitive to the drug. People often have very high blood sugars during steroid treatment. They work miracles and save lives but exact a price.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-17, 03:25 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer R View Post
It shouldn't be permanent for your friend, bzar--he must be really sensitive to the drug. People often have very high blood sugars during steroid treatment. They work miracles and save lives but exact a price.
he had that tone of attitude - the doc said it'll take around 6 months for it to go back to normal.

i asked him if topical steroids were strong enough to cause it, and he paused and said he didn't think so. i use topical steroids on an "as needed" basis for my eczema.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 10-13-17, 04:38 AM  
Pippadog

Hi

I went through premature menopause at 32. It wasn't due to anything, my cycle just ceased to produce eggs. I saw a consultant, had tests and unfortunately I had run my fertility course. Anyway, for my heart and bones I was put on tibolone HRT. I never suffered any weight gain from the HRT and I'm still on it. I'm now 49. Anyway, two years ago I thought I was in the best shape I've ever been. I was at my slimmest. I ate very clean, no alcohol, packed up smoking years ago. I did Cathe workouts or Peak Challenge workouts with Michelle Dozois in the morning and quite intense udaya yoga workouts in the evening. However I had a lump on my left temple that turned out to be a rare form of non hodgekinson lymphoma. Fortunately it had not spread and I had to have radiotherapy, but its quite ironic that when I felt my most fit. I was actually at my most weakest.

Laura
xx
Pippadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-17, 05:12 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

pippa, i'm glad you're ok now!

i've known many "healthy" people who've become ill, but i've also noticed that those are the people who bounced back, and relieved for them that they had good health on their side to aid in that recovery.

Old 10-13-17, 06:04 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

I'm 61, menopause was a fairly easy process, but I've gained 10-15 lbs over the last decade, despite working out 5 to 6 days a week, mostly in the middle. For the most part, I've been unable to lose it. Very frustrating.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-17, 06:11 AM  
killoffsonny

I don't think I gained any weight from menopause. I know I gained about five to ten pounds in my late thirties early forties.

Bzar I had used a topical steroid off and on for psoriasis and so far it hasn't caused blood sugar problems. But it also doesn't work anymore. So I stopped using it. Back to the drawing board.

Tags
menopause, post menopause