Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-08-16, 08:04 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy Trousers View Post
Nuggie's Auntie, I don't do social media but enjoy your blog. I hope to learn more!

Bless you!! .... My weight had been pretty consistent. Then the scale suddenly jumped up by 8 to 9 lbs. in one week last December. I thought my scale was broken but noticed my loose-fitting clothes suddenly became very tight during the same week. So my doctor examined me, ran tests, and learned about other symptoms occurring during the same week of the abrupt weight gain. The diagnosis: "Welcome to perimenopause!" (Doctor: "Do you have night sweats?" Me: "No." Doctor: "When you wake up, do you find all the bed covers thrown off of you, at the foot of the bed?" Me: "Yes, and that's new for me." Doctor (writing on notepad): "Night sweats ...")

Reading your post is encouraging. It supports what my sisters, sisters-in-law and older friends are telling me. Most say the weight did come off once things settled down.
I'm glad you found my post encouraging. That's what I was hoping to do. I had really lost all hope of losing the weight, it seemed like an insurmountable task. Fortunately I was just able to focus more, had more energy and stuck to my plan.

It is amazing to me how quickly the weight piled on too. I remember gaining 15 lbs in just a few short weeks and that was so unusual for me as I never had a weight problem earlier in life. Hang in there for sure .
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-16, 02:16 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

My blog post on fasting is up: http://amomwalksintoabarre.blogspot....5lbs-this.html
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-16, 02:57 PM  
Swissmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
I just read it. I really like your approach!
Swissmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-16, 02:59 PM  
momofcha

Quote:
Fantastic! I'm usually done eating by 8pm on any given day and then I don't eat until about 7am the next day. I think I'm going to try and stop eating by 6pm and see how it goes. I don't think I could do 24 hours, so I'll start with 12

thanks for the great read as always!

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-16, 03:09 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Thanks, Swissmom and momofcha,

I thinking extending your natural fast at night is a great place to start. I probably should have mentioned that in the post. You really can ease into it. Extend the night fast, then maybe skip a meal and see how you do.

I read somewhere, I think it was Jason Fung's book, that a 12 hour night fast and restricting to three meals a day is enough for many people with normal insulin sensitivity to maintain a healthy weight. I think I must have been developing some insulin resistance, because I was not exactly a grazer. For many people, just observing more traditional eating patterns might be sufficient to keep things in check.
Old 09-08-16, 03:12 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Thanks, Swissmom and momofcha,

I thinking extending your natural fast at night is a great place to start. I probably should have mentioned that in the post. You really can ease into it. Extend the night fast, then maybe skip a meal and see how you do.

I read somewhere, I think it was Jason Fung's book, that a 12 hour night fast and restricting to three meals a day is enough for many people with normal insulin sensitivity to maintain a healthy weight. I think I must have been developing some insulin resistance, because I was not exactly a grazer. For many people, just observing more traditional eating patterns might be sufficient to keep things in check.
Three meals and 12 hour fast is what works for me, too. So interesting!
Old 09-08-16, 04:01 PM  
WWWendy
Community Manager

I'd like to remind everyone that discussing specific diet-related strategies, including those for managing perimenopause, are not appropriate here. If you want to discuss them please do so privately.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
WWWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-16, 07:39 AM  
antbuko

Quote:
I love your blog! I've added it to my Feedly.
Old 09-09-16, 07:54 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbuko View Post
I love your blog! I've added it to my Feedly.
Oh thanks! I should probably write more often. I just get so busy!! It's fun, though, and I love it when people engage, agree, disagree, whatever. Fun to have the interaction. Otherwise I'd just write a journal!
Old 09-09-16, 09:28 AM  
clerkin11

For those of you who said it was better after going through menopause, when are you done with menopause?
Is it one year without a period or is it after all the hot flashes, etc. have stopped?
clerkin11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
menopause, perimenopause, weight gain