Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-04-14, 09:22 AM  
Chomper

Ok, so I can say that the problem was 100% the strap. When I put on the replacement strap, I got a very reasonable heart rate reading immediately. The signal never dropped out or got wonky.

I am relieved I don't have to give up on heart rate monitors, because I really wanted to do some heart rate based workouts on the exercise bike.

The replacement straps run between $10-20, and I will have to factor in a possibly recurring cost every 3-12 months, it seems. But the big price is the watch itself, and there was no way I was going to buy one of those every 3-12 months.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-14, 11:03 AM  
Zenara25

Thanks for letting us know. That's great news! Glad it was just the strap
Zenara25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-15, 07:14 AM  
fidget012

I have a couple of questions about washing the Polar Strap in the washing machine.

1. What kind of soap do you use?

2. Do you let it go through the spin cycle?

My strap is giving me all sorts of fits.

Thank you!
Susan

Last edited by fidget012; 06-29-15 at 07:15 AM. Reason: forgot a question mark
fidget012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-15, 08:47 AM  
Chomper

I wash my strap after every few uses with the rest of my workout clothes with a sport wash detergent in a delicate cycle. I get atsko sport wash from Amazon. It doesn't smell great in the bottle (unscented but a vague fishy smell) but my workout clothes smell fine after they are washed. Atsko is a bit cheaper than the other sport washes, and seems to work just as well.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-15, 10:55 AM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidget012 View Post
I have a couple of questions about washing the Polar Strap in the washing machine.

1. What kind of soap do you use?

2. Do you let it go through the spin cycle?

My strap is giving me all sorts of fits.

Thank you!
Susan
I have Garmin and Motoactv soft straps. I use regular detergent (mine's the clear Costco brand) and wash once a week in the machine. I put it in a mesh bag with my bras and wash in the delicate cycle and hang to dry.

I do think my strap is on its way out. I changed the battery 6 months ago because I was getting ridiculously low readings mid-workout. It's happening again, and changing the battery doesn't seem to have helped.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-15, 12:58 PM  
fidget012

I'll wash it tonight! Thanks for the great advice!!!
Old 06-29-15, 04:41 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slysam View Post
I get that sometimes when my strap sensors need cleaning. I have a Polar H7, I am not sure if the strap on the FT40 is different (but several use the same type of strap). Mine seemingly stopped working after three months of daily use (giving crazy readings like 0 and 220). I replaced the battery and it didn't help. I called Polar's customer service and the agent suggested washing just the strap in the washing machine (but not the dryer). On mine the actual transmitter part clips off the strap. I did that and it fixed the problem. He said sometimes salts from sweat can build up even if you hand wash it after each use.
I think they have problems with the H7. My first one died on me while I was at my parents home this past Feb. It was about 1 1/2 years old. I ordered a replacement (another H7) via Amazon and it died within two months!!!!! It's not the strap. It starts off OK and then dies about 5 minutes into the workout. Amazon couldn't take it back because it was after 30 days, and Polar wants me to spend the money to send it back to them. This has just left a really bad taste.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-15, 06:45 PM  
katchaser1

I have been using an ultrasound gel for a few years now and never get funky readings anymore.

http://www.amazon.com/Spectra-360-El...ultrasound+gel
katchaser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-15, 07:52 PM  
Sunshine

Thumbs up

Hi everyone, I've been wearing the same strap for almost 10 years... it came with my Polar FT7 , I thought my $138 polar hrm was no good and bought another but found out it was fine and now I wear both watches whenever I workout.

My maintenance routine is simpler: When I go to put the strap on: I wet the sensor backs of the strap (a mesh material) with just a little water.
Next I put a small dab of my "Buh Bump heart rate monitor electrode cream."( approx $3.00) The amount I use is miniscule. Tip of fingernail size.
Then I put a few more drops of water to moisten it again. Then dab the back of the sensor and clip it to the strap.
It fits snuggly and tightly under the bra.

After my workout, I separate the sensor, I rinse the strap in cold water and hang the strap to air dry.
Replacing the battery every 6 months to a year.

I used to get the dreaded 00 reading, then when I took it off it was not moist.

Katchaser1, your electrode cream looks good too.

The right amount of gel is really important... can't use too much either.

I intend to live forever - so far, so good.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-15, 09:13 PM  
fidget012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post
I think they have problems with the H7. My first one died on me while I was at my parents home this past Feb. It was about 1 1/2 years old. I ordered a replacement (another H7) via Amazon and it died within two months!!!!! It's not the strap. It starts off OK and then dies about 5 minutes into the workout.
Oh gosh! Mine is doing the exact same thing! It works great for about 5 minutes & then basically declares me dead after that. I'll back out, restart & it works for about 5 minutes & dies again and the process keeps repeating.

I'll definitely buy some ultrasound/electrode cream & see if that helps. I don't want to buy a new heart rate monitor, but if I do, I might buy a Sunnto instead

Tags
heart rate monitors, hrm, polar, polar ft40