Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-10-13, 10:13 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Question Final verdict on Cosgrove's "Drop 2 Sizes?"

I haven't seen much mention of the D2S set in a while. (Or else, I missed it.) I have this set and was thinking of starting it in January. I've done a couple of the workouts randomly. I like the foam-roller and the RAMP warm-up.

For folks who did some or all of the rotation, are there any final thoughts? What are the pros and cons of the workouts? What were some exercise substitutions and/or modifications you did? Would you do the rotation again?
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-13, 10:37 AM  
MKEMom

I finished it a couple months ago and really enjoyed it. I didn't follow the diet and didn't "drop two sizes", but my body sort of rearranged itself in a pleasing way. I've continued on with this style of lifting in paper workouts because I liked it so much.

Pros:
- Rachel gives excellent form pointers. Something about her constant admonitions to keep my shoulders away from my ears clicked with me better than other instructors.
- I saw a real increase in strength
- The workouts are well-organized. You can tell a lot of thought was put into these and it wasn't just slapped together a few minutes before filming.
- Lots of modifications are given with no disparaging remarks for those who need to use them
- There's a rep counter on the screen. I like not having to count my reps.

Cons:
- I did get a bit bored with each phase by the last week, and the workouts are not especially short, especially if you use the RAMP and foam rolling with each one.
- Rachel talks a lot, which is fine, but sometimes she jabbers on during the rest period about things other than the next exercise, for which you'd really like to be setting up.
- No real guidance for what weights you should be using. You really have to experiment. She says at least as heavy as your purse... but for an experienced exerciser, that's usually going to be way too light.
- Sometimes the pace is too fast if you want to go heavy. In these cases, I just went lighter and kept their pace. But, if you want to go heavier, you'll have to pause.
- The music may as well not be there. Usually I chose the "no music" option and used my own.

The only substitutions I made were to sometimes put my foot on a step for rows to support my back, or hold on to something for some of the balance moves (like one leg deadlifts mixed with rows) so I could go a little heavier. I also started doing split squats with a disc under the non-working foot instead of raising it behind me, just because I found it more comfortable.

Overall, I really liked it and would definitely do it again. I was thinking of trying it as my summer rotation later in the year.
MKEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-13, 11:00 AM  
starbelly

I did not complete the rotation (stopped in week 10), but I definitely saw strength gains, especially on overhead presses. I got a lot of stability in my shoulder, an area that has caused me pain for more than a decade.

I agree with MKEMom. The music was pretty lousy and Rachel is a bit too chatty sometimes. I really disliked all the "rock that outfit" talk although, to be fair, the program is called "Drop Two Sizes" not "Get Strong as an Ox". The third phase had too much impact for me-- it isn't a lot, but I cannot do squat jumps and jumping lunges. I used my rebounder for some things (box jumps, jump squats) but was ready to move on by then anyway. I was also quite puffy when I did the program. I did gain muscle mass, but I was a bit bloated.

I still follow her foam rolling routine several times a week since it's quite efficient and effective. Her form pointers are excellent and she is good on screen and quite likeable. I needed more variety than the program allowed and did not like doing the same workout twice in a week. It's a solid program; I'm just not cut out for long rotations. Doing this program did rekindle a long-dormant need/want to do weight training.
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-13, 11:32 AM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

Not a big hit here, though I would still recommend getting it mostly for the low price and the fact that it's a hit with so many others.

My husband couldn't take all the chatter and something about the pacing just wasn't a good match for me personally: I couldn't lift heavy enough to feel anything at times, couldn't always transition moves without pausing, didn't always feel safe from injury (I'm hypermobile in some joints), etc. But like I said, I can see why others like it and it's a good deal, at under $30. I traded it, so I can't complain.
Old 12-10-13, 11:56 AM  
Cecelia

I started my Drop 2 Sizes rotation in June and I loved it so much and saw such great gains in core strength, in correction of inbalances, and fat loss, that I did an abbreviated version spending 2 weeks on each phase right afterwards. Partly, this was because I felt I went easy on my weight selection the first time around, because I’m injury prone. I have since moved on to an STS rotation because I wanted to build some muscle and lift heavier. I found it difficult to go as heavy on some exercises in Drop 2 Sizes because of the combination moves.

However, I loved the balance that this program allowed for me. Because I was only working out 4 days a week, there was lots of time to do my kundalini yoga, classical stretch and tai chi. I have kept that format throughout my STS rotation…doing ab work before the workouts, and adding on finishers. I even still do the Drop 2 sizes metabolic workouts on Saturday mornings. I have lost 2 sizes since June. It’s freaking me out because my weight has not been this low in years. I did not think it was possible to lose the menopot at my age (59). I still do the foam rolling and the RAMP. They did make the workout days long, although I wrote down the exercises and memorized the foam rolling and did them without the DVD. It was faster that way.

I modified the high impact exercises. To this day, I still do burpees (which I hate) off the step the way the modifier does in Drop 2 Sizes. I have low back issues and needed more stretching than the workouts provided. So as the workouts progressed, whenever she said to take a 60 second break, I was on the floor stretching. I also had to stretch out well afterwards. But that said, I believe that the elements of Drop 2 Sizes – the emphasis on core work, activation of the glutes, working on opening the chest, twisting movements, and the off-set work – have really helped my back. I haven’t had any significant back pain in months (which is an accomplishment for me.)

I bought the New Rules of Lifting for Life book and hope to start it when I finish my STS rotation. Emphasis on HOPE, because I really prefer working with a DVD.
It did take a while before I saw dramatic results. I was almost done phase 2 before things started happening, another reason why I decided to do the abbreviated version after finishing the rotation.
Cecelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-13, 12:34 PM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecelia View Post
I bought the New Rules of Lifting for Life book and hope to start it when I finish my STS rotation. Emphasis on HOPE, because I really prefer working with a DVD.
This is interesting to me because I might be doing this in reverse - I'm 2/3 of the way through NROL4L - I had some interruptions due to illness and travel, so I'm taking it pretty slow. But once that winds up, I'm considering my next program - either D2S or Nia Shanks Train to be Awesome. D2S and NROL4L are very similar in structure and philosophy (they're essentially both Cosgrove programs) so I think they transition into each other very well - in fact, I started using the D2S RAMPS because I was so bored of the NROL one (it stays the same throughout).

I appreciate the comments on the DVD since it pretty much convinces me I don't need it if I have the book. I'm pretty impatient with chatter and like using my own pacing.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-13, 12:59 PM  
dela

LOVED it and still do! I did the full rotation. And whenever I go away, I bring the book and do these workouts in the hotel gym.

I love the idea of doing an abbreviated rotation of 2 weeks each phase, since I miss the workouts, but don't feel like committing to 3 months of anything right now.

The moves I modified were the two handed bent over rows, I have had past back issues, and am not comfortable doing too many bent over type rows so as soon as I feel strain (perceived or real) I go to a one armed row with support. And there is one particular move, some kind of scarecrow thing that replaces the pull up she has in the book, that I just hate, so sometimes I do a lying pullup using my Cathe tower, or just throw in any other back or shoulder move since I don't like the pullups either

Because of this rotation, I still foam roll nearly everyday, I love it and have no idea how I lived without it, lol. And I use many of her RAMP moves in my general warmups.

I did not drop 2 sizes either, not sure if that will ever happen. But I would say my smaller sized jeans were fitting perfectly, and I just had an all over fitter feel and look. Oh and it really works your core even though you don't do lots of core specific exercises, she just works it in with a lot of the other moves.

She does talk a bit, but I really don't mind it at all, her voice isn't grating, the tips are usually really helpful, and she just has a friendly but professional demeanor.

The metabolic workouts in the beginning are a little easy, so I was combining them with other workouts. They got more intense in Phase 2. I also loved having the extra 3 "free" days in this rotation to get in more CS and boxing/kickboxing workouts (my favorite cardio). I found I got a better workout doing the metabolic workouts on my own using the book.

It does take a workout or two to figure out your weight. And what I liked a lot, is in some moves, they would use some heavier weights, Rachel was doing shoulder presses with a 16kb kettlebell in one move. Oh, you don't have to have a kettlebell, the moves with it, always has a dumbbell sub, and sometimes it's the other way around, and she is just showing how to use a KB instead of a dumbbell. The only move that I don't think subs will with a dumbbell is the swing.

Hope you enjoy it if you end up trying the rotation!
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-13, 02:54 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbelly View Post
I did not complete the rotation (stopped in week 10), but I definitely saw strength gains, especially on overhead presses. I got a lot of stability in my shoulder, an area that has caused me pain for more than a decade.

I agree with MKEMom. The music was pretty lousy and Rachel is a bit too chatty sometimes. I really disliked all the "rock that outfit" talk although, to be fair, the program is called "Drop Two Sizes" not "Get Strong as an Ox". The third phase had too much impact for me-- it isn't a lot, but I cannot do squat jumps and jumping lunges. I used my rebounder for some things (box jumps, jump squats) but was ready to move on by then anyway. I was also quite puffy when I did the program. I did gain muscle mass, but I was a bit bloated.

I still follow her foam rolling routine several times a week since it's quite efficient and effective. Her form pointers are excellent and she is good on screen and quite likeable. I needed more variety than the program allowed and did not like doing the same workout twice in a week. It's a solid program; I'm just not cut out for long rotations. Doing this program did rekindle a long-dormant need/want to do weight training.
+1. Starbelly and I were on the check-in together and had much the same impressions of the program.

I reviewed it on my blog, if you want to read about it. I thought Rachel did a pretty good job instructing, esp. since it was her first crack at a DVD, but I agree that sometimes the rest periods could have been used more efficiently. I'm glad I did it, but I don't plan to do it again.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-13, 04:11 PM  
PrairieGem

You guys are making this sound really good! Is it generally available (Mary, Amazon, etc), or do you have to order it from Rachel?

Can somebody explain what RAMP is?

How long are the workouts?

Thanks!!
Old 12-10-13, 04:41 PM  
dela

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGem View Post
You guys are making this sound really good! Is it generally available (Mary, Amazon, etc), or do you have to order it from Rachel?

Can somebody explain what RAMP is?

How long are the workouts?

Thanks!!
You can buy it on the Rodale site, it's under $27 right now, but the coupon25 code can't be layered on top, I guess it's already 25% off, but maybe there are other coupons available?
https://www.rodalestore.com/drop-two...d-program.html

Their shipping is usually really reasonable.

RAMP is her warmup, it's about 10 minutes of different stretches and a little hopping. I use the moves in this often in most of my warm ups now. It moves a little slow with the dvd, so sometimes I just preferred to do it on my own and move through it a little faster.

I can't remember exact workout times, but if I recall correctly, they range from slightly under to slightly over an hour including the RAMP and foam rolling.
dela is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
d2s, drop 2 sizes, foam rolling, rachel cosgrove, ramp warm-up, warm ups, warm-up