Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-31-13, 08:18 AM  
Emily B
VF Supporter

Correct, I didn't follow the eating plan. I know that following the strict eating plan will yield good results, but I feel like these workouts are making me happy despite my not following the eating plan. I wish I could be that disciplined, but I feel so busy and overwhelmed in my regular life, I just couldn't commit to that right now. I do eat well, though.

I would like DVD recommendations for after this. I do belong to a gym, but I find it difficult to get there with my busy life!
Old 10-31-13, 08:24 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily B View Post
I'm halfway through the last week of phase 2, and I'm much happier now. I don't take measurements, but I do notice my clothes fitting better. I never expected going into this to drop two sizes as I knew I couldn't commit to the eating plan, but I have noticed my core is definitely in better shape (i.e., my muffin top has decreased), my legs feel more solid, and my butt fits my pants better. Overall, I just feel less squishy!

I have been doing minimal cardio, and I am happy that I can maintain and actually even improve my body (although just a little improvement) by doing such little cardio. I have arthritis in one of my feet which makes extended cardio such as walking, running, step, dance, etc. have a dread factor, and I get tired of the never-ending cardio with no results. This is the first time I have been so committed to a program since my early 20s when I was working out at the gym lifting heavy all the time. I always get distracted and move on to something else, but I really wanted to follow the workout plan as closely as I could so I could see if this would work for me. I know I could have gotten better results if I had followed the diet (and possibly done more of the RAMP and foam rolling), but I am much happier this week than I was two or three weeks ago. I definitely feel that the swelling has gone down. I really like Rachel and this approach to lifting weights.

Now my question is what to do after this?
Congrats on your successes!

A lot of the D2S grads in the Facebook group are doing the later NROL programs like Abs, Life or Supercharged, or Nia Shanks' workouts. I decided to move on to the Dial It In phase of Rachel's Female Body Breakthrough book, since I had good results with that program several years ago. The workouts start with core exercises, then heavy 6-rep sets of squats, deadlifts or other heavy exercises, then 15-rep sets of lighter exercises.

The other day I put on my thermometer jeans which had just come out of the dryer - I expected them to be tight, but they nearly fell off! I measured my waist and I'd lost another inch since ending D2S I've also been moving toward more weight-based cardio like Cathe's Supercuts (done with light or even no weights) or kettlebell workouts because like you, I find them much easier on my feet.

YMMV but I wouldn't call the diet "strict". It emphasizes whole foods (I didn't take the supplements she recommended) and simple cooking. It got me into the habit of measuring and weighing food, eating healthier breakfasts and snacks, and drinking a lot more water.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-13, 09:50 AM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
It emphasizes whole foods (I didn't take the supplements she recommended) and simple cooking. It got me into the habit of measuring and weighing food, eating healthier breakfasts and snacks, and drinking a lot more water.
I think that is a commonality to most plans that "work" - portion awareness and cooking at home. And while I agree that the plan isn't necessarily strict - I really think that depends on where people start in their eating habits. I think it's fairly well-balanced, but very, very watchful of carb content. Not necessarily a bad thing, but could be rigorous for some people.

I also think it's strange - and not just for this book - that so many menu plans in books do not really come with information on how to scale for size. I could probably maintain/lose on the amounts she proposes, but some (many?) women would just about starve. Again, this is not a specific criticism of D2S - lots of books do this. And that's probably all I can say before tipping over the edge into diet talk.

Sue, glad it's worked so well for you!

Emily, it seems as if this style of lifting doesn't have much by way of DVD follow-along support, unfortunately. Seems to be an untapped niche in the market.

That said - as far as follow along DVDs that emphasize strength and athleticism (like these workouts do) - I reach for Atletica (1, 2, or 3) or KCM's Lift. Also - I haven't done them in a long time, but I remember some of the Tracy Long series (The original TLT, Leaning out, etc) having some similar qualities.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-13, 10:24 AM  
MKEMom

My last strength workout is tomorrow. I did not drop two sizes, but I don't think being a size 2 is in the cards for me anyway . I also didn't follow the diet plan. I probably could have dropped one size if I had, but it wasn't enough food for me, and I tend to binge and get really cranky whenever I follow any kind of plan.

In the beginning of the plan I only did the prescribed workouts. As I moved through it I started adding in other videos on the "off" days for cardio. Some HIIT, some steady-state. Basically whatever I felt like. I did do Rachel's metabolic workouts about 75% of the time they were scheduled, but sometimes did another metabolic-style workout instead. Also, since I got Cathe's new step workouts, I haven't been able to stop doing them

Anyway, at the beginning I weighed about 150 pounds and all my size 6 clothes were starting to feel a little snug. I still weigh about 150 pounds and all my size 6 clothes fit perfectly, and some are a little loose. I also had a pair of skinny cut size 4 jeans that used to be tight in the hips and sort of uncomfortable, but now they fit fine.

My butt is slightly rounder and higher which is a HUGE accomplishment for me, as I tend to have a a VERY flat tuckus. I don't think my legs are that much smaller, (I didn't take measurements) but I have some muscle definition in them, which I've never had before. When I'm wearing shorts you can clearly see quad definition and a little rounding of my hamstrings in the back. I'm very pleased.

My shoulders and traps are much more shapely, and much stronger. I started off using 12's for the shoulder exercises and finished with 20's. My arms are more slender-looking, and I appreciate this because I tend to have very large upper arms. I was worried that not working the biceps and triceps in isolation would make my arms look more flabby, but that's not the case. I think they're actually less puffy because I don't have as much water retention in that area.

I feel like I gained a lot of strength in my whole posterior chain and really learned to activate my glute and hamstring muscles instead of letting my quads take over. I have a tricky lower back, and I've been virtually pain-free for the last few weeks. I think I have this program to thank for that.

My hubby bought me NROLW for my birthday, so I think after I take a week or two off from heavier weights I'll give that a try for awhile. I really love this style of lifting. I'd like to see more videos that use it.
MKEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-13, 02:51 PM  
msladybug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily B View Post
I'm halfway through the last week of phase 2, and I'm much happier now. I don't take measurements, but I do notice my clothes fitting better. I never expected going into this to drop two sizes as I knew I couldn't commit to the eating plan, but I have noticed my core is definitely in better shape (i.e., my muffin top has decreased), my legs feel more solid, and my butt fits my pants better. Overall, I just feel less squishy!

I have been doing minimal cardio, and I am happy that I can maintain and actually even improve my body (although just a little improvement) by doing such little cardio. I have arthritis in one of my feet which makes extended cardio such as walking, running, step, dance, etc. have a dread factor, and I get tired of the never-ending cardio with no results. This is the first time I have been so committed to a program since my early 20s when I was working out at the gym lifting heavy all the time. I always get distracted and move on to something else, but I really wanted to follow the workout plan as closely as I could so I could see if this would work for me. I know I could have gotten better results if I had followed the diet (and possibly done more of the RAMP and foam rolling), but I am much happier this week than I was two or three weeks ago. I definitely feel that the swelling has gone down. I really like Rachel and this approach to lifting weights.

Now my question is what to do after this?
It's good to hear that this works with your foot arthritis. I have that too...but also have tendonitis and plantar fasciitis, so I tend to have a variety of aches and pains in my foot. Hopefully I can get those healed and then 'just' have to deal with the arthritis in my toes. Getting up and down off the floor bothers the big toe arthritis. I think I need to find a workout shoe that is stiffer in the forefoot....but with a wide foot....I haven't been able to find one yet.

Right now...I'm only cleared for my physical therapy program, but your post has me looking forward to being able to do this workout at some point.
msladybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-13, 02:56 PM  
Emily B
VF Supporter

Do you know that the "barefoot" Merrell running shoes have felt the best for my big toe arthritis?? They feel so much better walking in them than traditional shoes, but I haven't liked them for these weight workouts. I think it makes the squats more difficult to be totally flat-footed. But weight workouts don't bother my arthritis, so regular shoes have been fine with these workouts.
Old 10-31-13, 06:18 PM  
msladybug

I'll check them out. Not many brands I can wear with my wide foot, New Balance...and if I recall, Merrell makes a wide width...or naturally runs wider.
I was wondering if yours was big toe also, and if you found something that works with that. I doubt I'll be able to wear a minimalist shoe for walking, unless I can fit it with an orthotic to support my inflamed arch tendon. But if I can find a shoe that is either stiff at the toe joint....or soft so that it doesn't fold and press on the spur, that would be good for weight workouts.

I really enjoyed my rotation of NROL/w which is similar to Drop2Sizes. And my feet were pretty pain free back then too.
msladybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-13, 09:47 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I just posted a review of D2S on my blog: www.amomwalksintoabarre.blogspot.com
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-13, 10:56 AM  
starbelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by msladybug View Post
I'll check them out. Not many brands I can wear with my wide foot, New Balance...and if I recall, Merrell makes a wide width...or naturally runs wider.
I was wondering if yours was big toe also, and if you found something that works with that. I doubt I'll be able to wear a minimalist shoe for walking, unless I can fit it with an orthotic to support my inflamed arch tendon. But if I can find a shoe that is either stiff at the toe joint....or soft so that it doesn't fold and press on the spur, that would be good for weight workouts.

I really enjoyed my rotation of NROL/w which is similar to Drop2Sizes. And my feet were pretty pain free back then too.
I have a short toes, a wide toe box and big feet (10.5 or 11) and the Merrell barefoot shoes fit me very well. I have the Pace Glove (a lace up) and a pair of Mary Janes. I dislocated the big toe on my right foot (and put it back in myself) so I have pain there and I have a burgeoning bunion on my left foot. I have no problems with either foot with Merrells. I loved those barefoot shoes so much that I bought a pair of their insulated Q form boots last year. They are so comfy and warm that they became my default footwear last year-- and I hate boots! If you want something for walking, try the Q-form.

I also quit D2S with only a few weeks left to go. It's nearly dark by the time I get to start my workouts these days and I just couldn't start lifting that way with no daylight. I am back on kettlebells and loving it. I was a bit puffy during D2S (DH said I looked "pumped") and I have leaned out already. I'm glad I did it, but I have come to realize that fixed rotations aren't really for me. I will definitely make further use of the workouts here and there, but I need to move on for now.
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-13, 01:39 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I am going back to D2S after spending a few weeks doing only upper body & ab stuff due to injury. I'm not going to restart from the beginning. I'm going to do phase two with lighter weights. If I get to end of eight weeks, I may redo phase one then or I may not. I'll see.

I guess I'm now skeptical about fat loss through weight lifting. Of course, it works if you diet, but then so does any exercise plan. That said, I enjoy weight lifting and have no intention of giving it up.

Tags
appetite, cosgrove, d2s, drop 2 sizes, drop two sizes, full body strength, metabolic, rachel cosgrove, water retention