Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-10, 11:43 AM  
Ann1964

Heart Rate Monitor

I want a simple to use heart rate monitor with 2 things avg heart rate & calories burned to use with my DVD's. I have a Garmin 305 for running.
Any suggestions?
Ann1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-10, 04:09 PM  
Sancho
VF Supporter

Location: My body is in Louisville but my heart is in Atlanta
I have the Polar F6. It was somewhere around $100. I got very confused with their website about which one I should order, so I called the main number and got customer service to help me. This one gives me the current heart rate, calories and number of minutes in target HR zone. It may give average HR but that isn't a number I've looked for.

I have had a problem with the HR moniter going to 0 a lot during a workout or giving numbers that can't possibly be right (70 while I'm in an interval). I called to complain about the problem and they guy said that I need to wash the strap contacts after every workout with soap and water and I should wet it under the faucet before each workout. The first few weeks after I tried this, it still wasn't working but I've done several washes to the strap contacts and the past few times it has been working perfectly.

I have a Garmin305 also. I wish it would work during standing still workouts but I guess the calories are tied to distance instead of HR.
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-11, 02:40 PM  
Sunshine

Today I went on the Polar website looking for an HRM, and It had an area where it asks questions, such as: which type workout do you need it for? and a bunch of other Q's including price.... Bottom line, When I clicked enter, it told me the recommended ones for what my needs were.. so I can buy it there or elsewhere. I thought it was great.

I intend to live forever - so far, so good.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-11, 03:51 PM  
Wanda
VF Supporter

Of the three HRM brands I've tried (Timex, CardioSport and Polar) the Polar calorie burn count is closest to the calorie charts.
Wanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-11, 05:24 PM  
Kathleen86

I bought a Polar FT-40 in July and have been very happy with it. It displays HR while exercising and you can tab through to see cals burned while you are still exercising. When you press stop, it gives you a breakdown including cals burned, % burned from fat calories, time in fat burning vs. fitness improvement zones, max HR, and avg HR. It also has a fitness test feature. I bought the optional "Flow link" USB connector (I think it was $50) for the computer and you can store your data on Polar's website...which can give you weekly totals. I bought this one because it gives the most feedback without giving you training advice which I don't need since it's for use with my DVDs. I also like the look of the white watch band too.

HTH,

Kathleen
Kathleen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-11, 06:40 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

I also have the Polar FT-40 and love it. I've used Timex, Garmin and Polar HRMs and Polar is by far the best.
sheepla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heart rate monitor, heart rate monitors, heartrate monitor, hrm