Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-03-10, 07:44 PM  
Richie

Quote:
Originally Posted by paideiamom View Post
When my life story is cast for Lifetime TV (and admit it, with the proliferation of channels, at sometime someone is going to have to do the life story of a person who cleans toilets on a Friday night), I want the casting crew from "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant" to find my doppelganger because they have the best looking doubles of any "reality/documentary" I have ever seen.
LOL! That really made me laugh!
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-10, 08:59 PM  
Arielle96

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaste View Post

There's a former Firm success story who is also a Beach Body coach. She uses her Firm before and after pictures to sell BB products. The after photo she uses was taken by The Firm for the infomercial. Now that is decpetive marketing.

I know exactly who you are talking about and it is incredibly deceptive. Quite a few of the more recent Firm Community Leaders have jumped ship and become Beachbody Coaches...interesting.
Arielle96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-10, 09:28 PM  
sugarhound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushiebear View Post
I definitely do agree with Lucky's concerns regarding the issue of straightforward representation as to where one owe's one's credit for success, and I certainly do feel it looks as if she is trying to "double-dip" on the financial rewards she is getting for her physical transformation... congrats, to her, however, for her success!

And while I certainly do not intend to sidetrack this debate into a discussion of what should and should not be censored/allowable for those in the field of education... because I am absolutely shocked by this, I am aghast that... I see from her Collage bio that she is a high school principal at Thomas Harvey High School in Cleveland, Ohio... and on the TurboFire infomercial she's posing in her bra and undies (is this the same infomercial which is seen publically, on nationwide television?) GEEZE! In my state, postings of such pictures would get your teaching/principalship license pulled so quick for morality issues! If I did that, I would never ever work in the education field again! Such has indeed happened on several occasions for educators in the state (one recent example is a female teacher who lost her position for posting a picture of herself in a swimsuit while on vacation) and, to date, the terminations have held up in court.

Again, I repeat, I don't want to get into a debate about what should or should not be allowable for public school staff to do in their private lives. However, in my opinion, when I became an educator, I did so with the understanding that, for better or worse, I serve as a role model for children, and as such, I need to hold myself to a different standard and I agree to abide by such standards as established and delineated by both my district and state educational boards. To enter a transformation contest, I am required to go to members of my school district, specify the nature of the contest, the nature of the photos I will be submitting, and the outfit(s) which will be worn in those photos. All clothing worn has to be chosen carefully to abide by the school district's employee dress code... and, a stipulation is that I in no way can explicitly state my being an educator with my picture/submission.

I wonder if there will be any undesirable fallout as a result of her participation? For her sake, I certainly hope not; loss of one's career is an agonizing and devastating experience!
I am so pleased to read this as the now retired principal of my daughter's school (K-8th grade) always wore a bikini top, cutoffs and high heels to the end of the year swim party. NOTHING was done about it. Lots of complaints too but the school district wouldn't do anything.
sugarhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-10, 11:04 PM  
Cowgirl32

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi View Post
The infomercial also quickly flashes a "before" and "after" picture of Chalene's BFF and I"m pretty sure she was already in fabulous shape before TF.

I want TF not b/c I think I'll drop weight and turn into a fat burning machine but b/c I'm all about awesome music and staying motivated and I KNOW I'll love these workouts.

The marketing sucks though. I'm sure there are plenty of real before and after photo's stories they could use to make the "success" stories legit...boo.

I know! I wish companies would just keep it real and come out and be legit about not being totally honest.
Old 07-03-10, 11:45 PM  
Mary09(b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmfreund View Post
That's the name! She was quite the scam artist!
Oh my god! I used to spend hours a day at lowcarbfriends forums and I 'knew' that woman! I knew her name was Heidi Diaz way back then, in 2003 or so. I also figured she was a fraud. She would post a link to her Fitday food journal which had supposedly everything she ate the year she supposedly lost 187 lbs. I doubted her so I flipped through it once. No one named Heidi refers to themselves in their food log as their screen name "Kimmer", if you ask me, so I figured it was a prop she made as part of the scam. And her 'after' photo was just too pretty and young to match her before one. I didn't know she started a diet company or any of that but it doesn't surprise me. She had a rabid following at LCF back then. Her way of eating was extreme and unhealthy. Wow, nutty! I can't believe those P.I. pics of her. Thanks for posting that! She kept up that charade for years.
Mary09(b) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-10, 01:40 AM  
Gymmie

I never buy anything based on the testimonials. I know some are real but the majority I feel are manufactured.

I've also heard how the fitness models will also pooch out their stomachs for the before and then the after is how they truly are.

There's a pill advertised in a magazine where the before and after are clearly two different women. Jay even made fun of it on his "headlines" and they had the audacity to add "as seen on the Jay Leno show" to it. They've removed it but still try to sell this claiming both pictures are the same woman.
“Think about Corey. Right at the finish line and his body gave up after one mile. You’re looking at yourself and if you have 100 plus pounds to lose, your body wants to be healthy.”--Bob Harper on Contestant Corey Pinkerton TBL10

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.

Beachbody Coach
Gymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-10, 04:41 AM  
CarlaShanti

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarhound View Post
I am so pleased to read this as the now retired principal of my daughter's school (K-8th grade) always wore a bikini top, cutoffs and high heels to the end of the year swim party. NOTHING was done about it. Lots of complaints too but the school district wouldn't do anything.
Grim! Mariah Carey was your daughter's school principal! Blurgh
CarlaShanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-10, 06:37 AM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

http://www.beachbody.com/product/suc...006/linda_l.do

Well...I was a Beachbody success story. No one tampered with my photos. My before and after pictures were legit - taken by my husband before and after P90X. I didn't tan or anything. Beachbody asked me to film myself doing P90X plus other activities that may have been helped by doing P90X like running, gardening, martial arts, etc.

I know at least one other person who was in the P90X infomercial with me whose results and photos were also completely legit. Beachbody may have changed their tactics since then. I was chosen almost 6 years ago after meeting Tony at a Tony camp in Miami. This was before Beachbody and P90X became so incredibly huge. It seems that Beachbody infomcercials have become much more stylized since then.

I will say that in defense of true before pictures, when you feel crummy about how you look, you won't be dressing in nice workout clothes or posing prettily for the camera - you're too embarassed. When you've had success and look better, you're more willing to flex and pose for the camera.

Disclosure: I was a Beachbody success story and part of a P90X infomercial.
LindaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-10, 07:39 AM  
gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaste View Post
Cosmetic companies buy

There's a former Firm success story who is also a Beach Body coach. She uses her Firm before and after pictures to sell BB products. The after photo she uses was taken by The Firm for the infomercial. Now that is decpetive marketing.
This doesn't surprise me in the least, but how pathetic and sad...anything for a buck.
Old 07-04-10, 07:43 AM  
gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaL View Post
http://www.beachbody.com/product/suc...006/linda_l.do

Well...I was a Beachbody success story. No one tampered with my photos. My before and after pictures were legit - taken by my husband before and after P90X. I didn't tan or anything. Beachbody asked me to film myself doing P90X plus other activities that may have been helped by doing P90X like running, gardening, martial arts, etc.

I know at least one other person who was in the P90X infomercial with me whose results and photos were also completely legit. Beachbody may have changed their tactics since then. I was chosen almost 6 years ago after meeting Tony at a Tony camp in Miami. This was before Beachbody and P90X became so incredibly huge. It seems that Beachbody infomcercials have become much more stylized since then.

I will say that in defense of true before pictures, when you feel crummy about how you look, you won't be dressing in nice workout clothes or posing prettily for the camera - you're too embarassed. When you've had success and look better, you're more willing to flex and pose for the camera.
Thank you for sharing...phenominal change!!!!

Tags
deceptive marketing, moisturizers, success story, success story caveats