Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-03-10, 09:52 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

"Success story" fibs and fluffs

Out of idle curiosity (ha ha) I began watching the Turbo Fire clip on Mary's site. I got to their motivating before-and-after stills, and at around 1:33 I thought "Hey, where have I seen that woman before?"

Turns out she's none other than Kimberly from the Collage success story page: http://www.collagevideo.com/SuccessS...aspx?cid=61670

But of course she can't credit Turbo Fire for her success because Collage doesn't sell it, so she credits the usual 'advanced mix' of Jari, Jillian, Cathe, etc. She also won $100 for her story. (Talk about motivation, and I'm sure she was additionally compensated by Chalene/BB.)

So, most probably she lost her weight from a combo of all these workouts, but of course it's also possible that the majority of her weight loss came from something else altogether.

Maybe I'm just feeling curmudgeonly this morning, and of course the important thing is that she lost weight. But I feel that result photos credited to a particular instructor or system ought to be exclusive, cause otherwise it loses creditability. It did for me.

Bottom line to me = work out hard, keep challenging yourself and you'll see results, no matter which program(s) you use.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-10, 09:57 AM  
Buzzer

On a similar but different thought, I have a friend who in the '80's her Aunt was on an Oil of Olay commercial. It was one of those "I'm 42, but people think I'm 29" commercials... only she wasn't 42, she really WAS 29.
I still think of that when I see anti-aging commercials.

ETA: I don't even know if my story is relevant to what you said, but in my head it was, so I suppose I'll let it stand.
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-10, 10:10 AM  
antbuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Bottom line to me = work out hard, keep challenging yourself and you'll see results, no matter which program(s) you use.
I've always believed this. Exercise works - period! Why would different programs work for different people? I believe it's a matter of what clicks for each of us. What program will motivate you to push yourself and work out consistently? That's the one that will give you great results.
Old 07-03-10, 10:13 AM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Wow, Buzzer. I have a friend who has used Olay since the late 70s, early 80s based on that commercial. The irony is that she does look 29 and she is 49 today.

She credits the Oil of Olay. I credit her great genetic makeup because if you look at her mom and sisters, they all look fabulous, too, and she is the only one that uses that stuff.

Personally I never believe the "I only use this to attain this" because I did exclusively use Leslie for so long and lost a significant amount of weight, but you do plateau and you have to move on. Enter my TJ purchase which helped me lose another 20 pounds.

Then my social experiment ends because I found VF and I was no longer monogamous.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-10, 10:18 AM  
bimsy3

Unfortunately, some people will be naive enough to believe everything they see or hear, while others will be able to discern. It's just like when you have actresses and models advertise creams or other facial products like it's what they've used all their lives, when the actual fact is the manufacturers develop a product and consider whose skin is good enough to sell their product.
bimsy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-10, 10:34 AM  
Severen

I remember seeing this one tattooed fellow tell his success story on one of the older Power 90X infomercials, then later saw the same guy on the Slim in 6 informercial.
Old 07-03-10, 11:06 AM  
Kyra

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbuko View Post
I've always believed this. Exercise works - period! Why would different programs work for different people? I believe it's a matter of what clicks for each of us. What program will motivate you to push yourself and work out consistently? That's the one that will give you great results.
I'm a devotee of the "everything works, but nothing works forever" principle. A lot of different programs have worked for me - "worked" meaning I've gotten what I consider favorable outcomes from them. If anything, I try not to repeat programs (which, frankly, has never really been a problem - I can always find something interesting, it seems)!

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-10, 11:14 AM  
lesia

I have a problem with....

the newscaster Kat who sells Nutrisystem on QVC (and attributes all her weight loss to the program) and then shows up on the Slim in Six informercial.

It just doesn't sit well with me.

Just mho.

Lesia
lesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-10, 11:15 AM  
Demeris

I may get banned for this post, so if it's offensive at all, I pray the moderators simply give me a warning and let me delete it, BUT

there was a VFer (I haven't seen her in a while) who claimed particular workouts stripped inches off her. She would post on Leslie threads, on t-tapp threads, you name it, that workout stripped off the inches. The uncharitable part if me has wondered if she shrunk to nothing.

If I've been too snarky and mean-spirited, please just hit the ignore button.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-10, 11:18 AM  
Mushiebear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Turns out she's none other than Kimberly from the Collage success story page: http://www.collagevideo.com/SuccessS...aspx?cid=61670
I definitely do agree with Lucky's concerns regarding the issue of straightforward representation as to where one owe's one's credit for success, and I certainly do feel it looks as if she is trying to "double-dip" on the financial rewards she is getting for her physical transformation... congrats, to her, however, for her success!

And while I certainly do not intend to sidetrack this debate into a discussion of what should and should not be censored/allowable for those in the field of education... because I am absolutely shocked by this, I am aghast that... I see from her Collage bio that she is a high school principal at Thomas Harvey High School in Cleveland, Ohio... and on the TurboFire infomercial she's posing in her bra and undies (is this the same infomercial which is seen publically, on nationwide television?) GEEZE! In my state, postings of such pictures would get your teaching/principalship license pulled so quick for morality issues! If I did that, I would never ever work in the education field again! Such has indeed happened on several occasions for educators in the state (one recent example is a female teacher who lost her position for posting a picture of herself in a swimsuit while on vacation) and, to date, the terminations have held up in court.

Again, I repeat, I don't want to get into a debate about what should or should not be allowable for public school staff to do in their private lives. However, in my opinion, when I became an educator, I did so with the understanding that, for better or worse, I serve as a role model for children, and as such, I need to hold myself to a different standard and I agree to abide by such standards as established and delineated by both my district and state educational boards. To enter a transformation contest, I am required to go to members of my school district, specify the nature of the contest, the nature of the photos I will be submitting, and the outfit(s) which will be worn in those photos. All clothing worn has to be chosen carefully to abide by the school district's employee dress code... and, a stipulation is that I in no way can explicitly state my being an educator with my picture/submission.

I wonder if there will be any undesirable fallout as a result of her participation? For her sake, I certainly hope not; loss of one's career is an agonizing and devastating experience!
Mushiebear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deceptive marketing, moisturizers, success story, success story caveats