Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-26-08, 07:56 AM  
Gardengirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castella
I have more muscle now, but less cardiovascular endurance. I feel like I gain weight faster (that lost metabolism thing). Part of it may be aging and perimenopause, but doing a lot of cardio really seemed to juice up my metabolism. Also, my blood pressure was lower when I did a lot of cardio. Jury's still out on the cholesterol.

I do appreciate the benefits of doing more strength training: being able to lift things, improved posture, and looking reasonably muscular.
I agree and have done the same thing. It's only been recently that I've found out that I need my cardio back!!! I've definitely gained muscle over the last year but focused way less cardio. Cardio has always kept me in pretty good shape, don't know why I slacked. Wait . . . yes I do. It was all the "new information" about how we didn't need much cardio.

And you're right, I especially need cardio to "juice up my metabolism" during peri!!!!!
Old 02-28-08, 05:16 AM  
hch
VF Supporter

I've read a little more in the book.

- Dr. Cooper "strongly advocate[s]" getting started with strength training at a young age (cf. Abbe's post) to develop a "solid set of habits--and muscles--to build upon as you age." I can see something like this idea in how he includes strength training for the youngest age group (despite the 20% number --especially in more recent media sources that don't mention that 20% is the minimum and just one possibility), but I like seeing the idea explicitly stated.

- This book does not spell out a detailed routine; he points to other books of his for those. An "easy" beginner program has crunches (or bent-leg sit-ups), push-ups, curls, and lunges.

- In Chapter 8, "The New Breed: The Senior Powerhouses," he described his own routine at the time: at least two sessions per week of 20 minutes with weight machines. He planned on adding another day.

I'll be able to hold on to the book for some time yet, if anyone has other questions.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 08:52 AM  
Bebop

Perimenopause and menopause create different fitness needs in women. Metabolism slows down so building more muscle and increasing cardio is important. At the same time, decreasing calories as we age probably makes sense, but realistically, who wants to do that? I'd rather kick up the exercise.

I definately need to keep up my cardio. However, when I first got my puppy in October, I was unable to keep up my regular exercise routine but I was getting lots of cardio with the puppy - intermitant stuff - playing in the yard, walks, etc. etc. so it was cumulative - I still was getting my cardio but not as much strength training.

I lost 6lbs - not trying - and my strength did not weaken - however, I was able to get back to my normal routine within 3 or 4 weeks

Cardio strengthens the heart, which is a muscle.

I'm still a believer in balance - There was an article in Fityoga last month asking yoga teachers how they stay in shape. Well, these are famous yogis, Cindi Lee, Patricia Walden, Sean corn - and they all have added strength training and cardio to their routines as they have gotten older.

I'm an advocate of playing it safe - do a little of everything because something has to work.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 08:57 AM  
Marie1120
VF Supporter

HCH - it doesn't seem like he is doing all that much strength training. Thanks for the info.

Bepop - so right! Perimenopuse and menopause totally changed everything for me. I am still trying to figure out what is going to work but trying to get back into doing weights which I had been letting slide.
2009 - 312/300

"Those who remove mountains begin by carrying away small stones."
- Chinese Proverb

"Getting up in the morning is a case of mind over mattress." Ziggy
Marie1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 09:12 AM  
Gardengirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie1120
Bepop - so right! Perimenopuse and menopause totally changed everything for me. I am still trying to figure out what is going to work but trying to get back into doing weights which I had been letting slide.
Yep, I've been adjusting and readjusting for the last 3 years! I'm also finding that not only do I need cardio, I have to find the right level of cardio too. Too high an intensity now seems to put my body into "stress" mode and it holds on to ever morsel I put into my mouth. So I've had to relax the intensity to keep the scale from moving in the wrong direction. It truly feels like a science experiment. Kettlebells have kept me consistent with weights because . . . it's fun!
Old 02-28-08, 09:43 AM  
Marie1120
VF Supporter

Judy - I just went to a 4 hour kettlebell workshop last Saturday and after being really sore for 2 days I am thinking these are worth a try to get strength training in and seeing how this goes. I can't say that they are a lovefest for me yet or that I thought they were fun but that might be more that I don't have that comfort level yet and hoping that changes once I feel more confident in the moves and that I am doing things right.
2009 - 312/300

- Chinese Proverb

Old 02-28-08, 10:33 AM  
Gardengirl

Marie, I've never been a big fan of weight training . . . always a cardio gal or functional fitness, i.e. biking, walking, etc. Lots of folks here have said kbs aren't for everyone and I think it's true, but they grabbed me from the beginning. Since they are more or less an active way to workout with weights, for the first time weight training is fun for me.

I have no particular goals except to stay healthy (and possibly lose 5 lbs or so ) but not gain weight as I age either. I definitely don't want to lose muscle and wither away, and I know that strength training is the only way to prevent that from happening. But I also know that I have to find a way of enjoying it or I won't keep doing it. That's where kbs come into play for me. Cooper says he's doing 20 minutes of strength training twice per week. Now while that doesn't seem like much, 20 minutes of kbs 2-3 times a week is plenty for me. (Another reason I like them . . . short and sweet.)

Cardio isn't a problem for me because there's so much of it I enjoy.
Old 02-28-08, 10:42 AM  
Marie1120
VF Supporter

Judy - the short and sweet part of KBs appeals to me too. I like no nonsense strength training and these certainly fit in that category. I liked how I felt DOMS in so many areas and that was a total surprise. I really think I will like them more once I feel more comfortable with the moves and figure out how to do these without knocking out the dog. He always wants to hang around when I am working out but other times could care less if I am in the house.
2009 - 312/300

- Chinese Proverb

Old 03-03-08, 10:09 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie1120
HCH - it doesn't seem like he is doing all that much strength training. Thanks for the info.
You can get a lot done in 20 minutes, but I don't get the idea that he was going that route.

The book also mentioned focusing on "upper body and back" (I don't know why he separated them, unless he meant the lower back, in which case he should've specified it--though if he was paying attention to his lower back, I commend him for having done so!) and quadriceps (because of his favorite activities).

And you're welcome. I still really want to find out what he's doing now, heh, some ten years since that book. For example, that news story that I linked earlier quotes him but doesn't get any more specific with what he's doing; at least he's still strength-training. Since I'm not having any luck online so far, I might try to find a newer book somewhere.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-08, 10:37 PM  
killoffsonny

Well that just sucks. the older I get the less strenghtening I do because of achey joints.
killoffsonny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
over 50, success story