Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-13, 07:19 PM  
lulubell

I just did this one today with an open mind considering the negative reviews...well it was just okay for me...kind of waiting for it to finish...I was glad I did a run before and I will probably be subbing some other type of cardio.

Aggie
lulubell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-13, 07:51 PM  
Lisa C
VF Supporter

It is sometimes an odd experience to read so much about a workout and then to actually do it and disagree with almost everything you read about it. (Especially when you might often agree with the people who posted the comments.)

I just did this one and so far it may be my favorite of the series (although I've mostly only done strength workouts, which are usually never my favorites.)

I thought it was quite different from Cathe's other boxing/kickboxing workouts and I liked that about it. I guess from the comments I thought it would be a bunch of punches, followed by a bunch of jumping jacks, then repeat. If felt a lot more interesting to me than that. I like the little interval section (but wished it was longer), and I loved the conditioning section as well, which I thought was very unique.

I really loved that I got a decent cardio workout and core work (from conditioning only, not the bonus core) and a nice stretch in 45 minutes. It felt more intense to me than the MMA KB and Boxing workouts, but my view may be skewed because I am coming off of being sick.

However, I should mention that I did make one someone significant modification to the workout, and that may have made it more fun to me. I don't love jumping jacks, and I don't love shuffling on my puzzle mats, so I threw down my blanket on one side of the room, and got out my gliding disks. Anytime there was jumping jacks (or scissors), I kept them low impact (but still intense) by using my disks. I even did some of the shuffle punching combos with my feet on the disks, and I really liked it!! I didn't keep the entire workout low impact or on the disks, and just did the jacks and scissors with the disks. It was easy to transition over to them very quickly, and worked great.

The music was also fun. The only negative for me was the lack of chapters in the first section, which I expect from Cathe.
Old 01-10-13, 07:55 PM  
Lisa C
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyefit View Post
... but if any of you guys saw my thread hating on jumping jacks you might guess I'm a little leery. I learned from LIS though that I really should try them first before trading. I had to reaquire LIS Trisets and TurboBarre due to trader's remorse!
I do remember your jumping jacks thread, and I have similar feelings. They sometimes feel harder to me than plyo jacks, etc.

How do you feel about using the gliding disks for jacks? I did not feel like the workouts was all jumping jacks, but I have more fun doing them on disks. Maybe you could substitute regular plyo jacks as well, if you like those better. I think they would fit in just fine, because she does them in groups of twos when turning around the room, so time-wise, you could just do one and turn (or not turn at all.)
Old 01-19-13, 07:42 PM  
gigi

I take back my original review. I watched the clips on Cathe's FB page and it made me want to give it another go.

The sun was shining today for the first time in almost a week and it felt so good to be outside. I would say this workout is about as difficult as you want to make it. I didn't find it killer difficult but just right difficult and felt I got a great workout. I really, really liked it this time around. You can really focus on getting some good punches in. I don't know why I enjoyed it so much this time but I do like it a lot. I love the conditioning. It moves fast, keeps the heart rate up, and works me out hard.

Anyway, go figure....I changed my mind about this workout. The first time I was sore form a running injury and it was after a long day at work. Today the sun was shining and I felt fantabulous so I'm sure that had a little something to do with it....
Old 01-19-13, 09:02 PM  
edensmom

Glad you found some love for Hard Strikes this time around Angela! I am one that enjoyed it as well.
Amazing how a beautiful blue sky can impact your mood. It has been really beautiful here lately and it starts my day out on such a positive note. I turn my music up and sing in the car while bringing my kids to school . Everything just seems better .
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-13, 09:47 PM  
gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by edensmom View Post
Glad you found some love for Hard Strikes this time around Angela! I am one that enjoyed it as well.
Amazing how a beautiful blue sky can impact your mood. It has been really beautiful here lately and it starts my day out on such a positive note. I turn my music up and sing in the car while bringing my kids to school . Everything just seems better .
I love driving with the windows down. It was too chilly for that today, but perfect for a workout!
Old 01-19-13, 10:26 PM  
mrsyancy

I also actually really enjoyed this workout....i've done it three times before i decided to review it....i really enjoyed the music(which i usually could care less of sometimes) and just the overall feel of the workout

it wasn't super hard but i got a really good cardio cardio workout in 30 minutes and i was smiling while doing it
mrsyancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-13, 05:21 PM  
leslie w
VF Supporter

I did 30 minutes of Hard Strikes on my rebounder yesterday and had a great time. I hate shuffles, scissors, and jacks too, but they can easily be done on a trampoline. There wasn't much I had to modify. Next time I'll use my one pound kickboxing gloves. I look forward to doing it again.
leslie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-13, 05:38 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa C View Post
I do remember your jumping jacks thread, and I have similar feelings. They sometimes feel harder to me than plyo jacks, etc.

How do you feel about using the gliding disks for jacks? I did not feel like the workouts was all jumping jacks, but I have more fun doing them on disks. Maybe you could substitute regular plyo jacks as well, if you like those better. I think they would fit in just fine, because she does them in groups of twos when turning around the room, so time-wise, you could just do one and turn (or not turn at all.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie w View Post
I did 30 minutes of Hard Strikes on my rebounder yesterday and had a great time. I hate shuffles, scissors, and jacks too, but they can easily be done on a trampoline. There wasn't much I had to modify. Next time I'll use my one pound kickboxing gloves. I look forward to doing it again.
Hey thanks for the ideas guys. I think I'll actually try it on the rebounder like leslie w. Hmm, maybe I need to give this one a go tomorrow...
Old 01-21-13, 05:42 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie w View Post
Great to know! I have this one coming my way and I'm looking forward to it!
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe, hard strikes, xtrain, xtrain reviews