Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-12-11, 04:56 PM  
andtckrtoo

Do you have the F11 and have you had the battery replaced? I'm curious because I had a similar issue with the F11 when I replaced a battery (after it being down for a bit). The fit test I had taken was erased, so it was treating me like I was very unfit. Running would get my HR up higher, so it would count it as a bigger burn, but my resting HR is fairly low, so even getting up to 130 is pretty good for me (when I run it's 150). But, the HRM didn't count it that way. Try doing another fit test.

Also - is there a different instructor for Zumba? I get wildly different ratings depending on who is instructing the class. And once I learned the moves, I became a lot more proficient at them - so if it's the same instructor and you know all of the moves and can do them in your sleep - you may not be pushing as hard. But, that's a huge difference.
Old 07-12-11, 06:17 PM  
slysam

I have the same hrm (polar f11). Just checking... Has your weight decreased or your age increased? (by the formula you will burn less if you are lighter or have a birthday). Also, have you recently completed the built in "fitness test'? I am not sure how accurate that test is, but your calorie burn is partially dependent on that test as it measures your resting pulse and estimates your VO2Max. If you did it, did you follow the instructions: to not have any caffeine first, take it at least one day after a rest day (I think it says ideally at least two days after a vigorous cardio workout), be in bed for at least 15 minutes first, be still in a quiet place throughout the test? If your fitness has improved your score on this test may have improved in the right conditions.

But yes what others said that when you become conditioned for an activity your heart rate will not get as high so your calorie burn will be lower on a hrm (I've heard that may not be true in reality as increased VO2Max and increase muscle may raise your calorie burn but I do not know if that really balances out or not). Also, when I get more coordinated and more skilled at something I don't need to work as hard to keep up--this is especially true of dancing type activities (with dance there seems to be a sweet spot between knowing well enough to keep up and not being too efficient at it). It could be your zumba technique and coordination have improved so you are not working quite as hard.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-11, 08:08 PM  
stacydan

My weight has decreased, but only about 10 pounds in the last few months and I will be 42 in August. I had lost alot of weight last year. I did perform another fit test last month, but I can't remember if it was after a rest day or not though. I don't feel like I'm working out as hard as I was in class before, but when I'm on the treadmill and I'm burning about the same amount calories or maybe a little bit more, and I feel like I'm working out really hard and my face is red. I do like to feel like I've worked out and be all sweaty. When I'm jogging on the treadmill, my hr gets up to about 170/175 at the end, but I only jog for about 20 minutes and then I start walking again.

There are about 3 different instructors whose class I go to and my hr is comparable between all the them.

Thanks everyone for all your comments and suggestions!
Stacy
stacydan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calorie burn counter, heart rate, heart rate monitor, heart rate monitors, hrm