Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-24, 07:26 AM  
sherry7899

remote breathwork healing class-opinions?

A local reiki healer is offering a breathwork healing class over Zoom tomorrow evening. I have never taken a live class, or participated in any type of reiki healing. I am curious.

Is it effective to do this over Zoom? She offers classes locally, but I have not attended. She does not have a studio. She rents space out from a shoe store (odd choice!) and holds classes there a few times a month. I can't drive at night, so this would be a chance for me to try her out. Maybe in the summer I would go to a live class..maybe...

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-24, 08:11 AM  
enduranceron

I've never done a live breathwork class but I will say that incorporating breathwork into your fitness/life can have huge benefits.

I started a daily practice about 3 years ago and it has helped in all aspects of my life. Fitness wise I am able to control my breath during hard efforts (making swimming mush easier). It has also helped with remaining or making myself more calm in stressful situations both in the gym and in everyday life.

I'd say give the class a shot. That said, I don't think you need a class to build a daily practice. Most of what I've learned and where I got my daily exercises from is here: https://www.youtube.com/@TAKEADEEPBREATH

I rotate through different exercises daily. Let me know if you want to know the specifics of my daily practice.

"I've got a great ambition to die of exhaustion rather than boredom." - Thomas Carlyle

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." - Mahatma Ghandi
enduranceron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-24, 09:08 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I think in person is so much better than Zoom.

That said, I have done some training on Zoom the past few years and did learn. I just think you learn so much more in a live class.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-24, 12:28 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I prefer Reiki in person, but have had it remotely on several occasions and enjoyed the benefits. During the lockdown I had a couple remote treatments, and Zoom-attended several yin yoga with Reiki workshops.

There is a form of Reiki, distance Reiki, and Reiki practitioners are trained in it. It all stems from universal healing energy in the first place.

It can't hurt! Let us know if you sign up and tell us how it went.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-24, 05:58 AM  
sherry7899

I signed up for the class....what a mistake that was! Well, at least now I know i don't want to bother taking any of her in person classes that are more expensive.

The teacher was having major technical problems with the sound. She knew it, and she spent the first twenty minutes trying to fix them. There were only two other students. The sound was either dropping out, or was totally distorted.

She said she was getting a message that her internet connection was weak.

I thought for sure she would stop the class and offer refunds or a credit. She just started the class anyway. I could not hear half of her instructions, and the distorted music that dropped in and out was driving me crazy.

I put in the chat that I could not hear her and that I could not relax at all with the distorted sound.

From what I could tell from the bit I could hear we were supposed to do a certain breath pattern she demonstrated for twenty minutes straight while she played music in the background, and then she would instruct us to change the breath pattern while music played again. I have not done one of these classes before, but I thought there would be more instruction than that.

I was so frustrated and annoyed I honestly did not attempt the breathwork. I did not understand how the other two women appeared to actually relax while distorted sounds randomly came through seconds or minutes apart.

At the end the other two women said they did relax....okay.....

The instructor upon seeing my post in the chat did say she would contact us to do the class again at another time. I honestly just want my money back, but I will give it a try if she offers another class soon. If she does not, I am disputing the charge. I don't mean to be a b*tch about it, but she knew the sound was distorted and we could not hear her. I don't understand why she just kept going and did not stop the class.

Old 01-21-24, 10:31 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

How much did you pay for the class?

I teach a lot on Zoom. Sometimes the Zoom Gods smile upon me and other times it is just a big frustration. I have figured out a lot in the last 3+ years in terms of sound, microphones, and mixers. If this instructor doesn't know how to keep the "original sound for musicians" on or isn't mixing their music with their voice and a mic, everything would be pretty distorted.

Did the instructor respond to your request for a refund? Could you contact the studio owner (or is it hers)?

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-24, 10:40 AM  
sherry7899

She does not own a separate studio. She holds classes at various locations. It was $25. I am waiting to see if she schedules a make up class first before requesting a refund. Thank you for replying.

Old 01-21-24, 10:58 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

That's terrible! She should have tested everything in advance, especially if she's offering these classes regularly.

I'm sorry you got burned that way - keep up the fight, I hope you get a refund.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-24, 11:41 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
That's terrible! She should have tested everything in advance, especially if she's offering these classes regularly.

I'm sorry you got burned that way - keep up the fight, I hope you get a refund.
Thank you! I agree. I also don't understand why she didn't just stop the class after not being able to get the sound fixed after twenty minutes.

I just could not relax by then-I was really pissed that she was holding the class with such horrible sound.

Tags
breath workouts, breathwork, reiki