Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-26-18, 08:49 AM  
wendug

Question about Chalean Extreme

I'm doing a Chalean Extreme rotation and I'm currently in week 3 of the Burn Phase. In looking through reviews of the program I've noticed that people say to add some additional cardio into the rotation. My question is how much? I've been adding a little cardio after the Burn Circuits (20-30 minutes) because I feel like I need to move my muscles a bit after the weight work. Also, did you take both rest days in the rotation, or did you add some additional cardio on one of the rest days?

I'm really enjoying the program so far. I bought 20 pound dumbbells so I could heavy up with the program and I probably will need 25 pound dumbbells for the push portion. Since the moves are SLOW I can really focus on form and get the most out of lifting. And push ups are easier for me now. Thanks for your responses!
Old 01-26-18, 10:17 AM  
jusca

I've done at least 4 rounds of CLX nearly consecutively these past few years. I've experimented with adding cardio. Depending on your goals and body, you may need additional cardio. I've added extra days of cardio on the 1st rest day and the substituted burn intervals for non-weighted cardio. I lost 1.5lbs per week using that schedule with a strict dialed in nutrition plan. I currently do 3-4 cardio sessions per week. 1hitt, 3 steady state. All between 20-45 mins. By the Push phase, I'm too fatigued with the weights (I use 45- 50lbs) to add cardio on lifting days and move down to 3 cardio days.

Maybe try one week of adding 1 additional cardio and see how you feel.
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-18, 10:58 AM  
wendug

Thanks for the info, Jusca! I would like to lose 15 pounds, but would be happy with toning up! I've only lost 1 pound so far with the program, but have lost 1/2 inch in my waist, thighs, and arms. I definitely feel stronger. So many people say the lean phase is where the weight comes off, so I'll stick with it and see what happens. My diet could use some tweaking, but some of these workouts make me HUNGRY! I don't have her nutrition plan for the series, maybe I should look into getting it.

I'm happy to hear that you continue to do this rotation and are seeing results. I wonder how many people only do it once and then never touch the series again.
Old 01-26-18, 12:49 PM  
wlorrie

I've done several rounds of CLX. I do just the 3 phases dvds plus abs 3 days/week, cardio 3 days/week, and 1 rest day. If you think you need to add more cardio, I would add 20-30 minutes of walking or rebounding during the push phase. The works are intense in terms of heavy weights but are short. I think the longest is 35 minutes. That was the phase when I felt that I really needed to add more "movement."

I weighed myself only during 1 time that I did CLX, and I lost 7 pounds without changing my diet.

One more tip... Depending on how strong your forearm and grip strength are, you may want to get a weight vest for the lower body work in the push phase. It took me a while to comfortably hold 2 30 lbs dumbbells.

Good Luck!
Lorrie
wlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-18, 01:17 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlorrie View Post
I've done several rounds of CLX. I do just the 3 phases dvds plus abs 3 days/week, cardio 3 days/week, and 1 rest day. If you think you need to add more cardio, I would add 20-30 minutes of walking or rebounding during the push phase. The works are intense in terms of heavy weights but are short. I think the longest is 35 minutes. That was the phase when I felt that I really needed to add more "movement."

I weighed myself only during 1 time that I did CLX, and I lost 7 pounds without changing my diet.

One more tip... Depending on how strong your forearm and grip strength are, you may want to get a weight vest for the lower body work in the push phase. It took me a while to comfortably hold 2 30 lbs dumbbells.

Good Luck!
Lorrie
Lorrie- that is a great tip about the weighted vest as my forearm strength needs some work! I'm going to try using my wrist weights with dumbbells for additional weight until I get a heavier set of dumbbells (or weighted vest).

I did plan on adding a bit of cardio after the push phase as my body likes having my muscles moved around a bit after weight work. I'm only taking one rest day in the week right now. I'll listen to my body in the push phase to determine if I need 1 rest day or two.
Old 01-26-18, 01:30 PM  
wlorrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
Lorrie- that is a great tip about the weighted vest as my forearm strength needs some work! I'm going to try using my wrist weights with dumbbells for additional weight until I get a heavier set of dumbbells (or weighted vest).
Great! Also, if you have to choose between the vest or heavier weights, I'd get the heavier weights and a buy wrist wraps. They were inexpensive and helped me a lot with holding the heavy weights!
Lorrie
Old 01-26-18, 01:43 PM  
Vantreesta

Lorrie, what kind of wrist wraps do you use?
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-18, 07:49 PM  
wlorrie

I bought a pair by Altus on Amazon.
Lorrie
Old 01-26-18, 08:44 PM  
Vantreesta

Thank you!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-18, 11:12 AM  
wendug

I had to look up wrist wraps on YouTube because I don't know much about them. That might be the way to go for me because on lower body moves it is my grip strength that causes me to stop or take breaks, not muscle fatigue from my legs.

My husband gave me a quizzical look while looking up the videos on wrist wraps because they are often led by huge powerlifters. I think he's wondering what I'm up to next!

Tags
beachbody, chalean extreme, clx, grip strength