Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-17-18, 09:44 AM  
Hsim

Best workouts for hip and glute pain

What workouts really help with hip and glute pain?
From time to time I get very achy in these areas and I need to stock up for when those times come.
Hsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-18, 10:06 AM  
Terry

I had hip pain and glute pain that was sometimes gone but always came back to one side or the other from workouts, sitting, and sleeping. I started doing a section of Slim Series Tone It Up where Debbie is on her back with both legs in the air as she works inner thighs doing adduction. I changed it to abduction by using a small band around my ankles. I have been pain-free for over a whole lot of months now. Note that I tried doing this using heavy ankle weights and a band so I could also work the inner thighs but this turned out to be a cheat for the abduction part of the move.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-18, 10:23 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

for me, anything with lots of barre pretzels like callanetics.

i noticed that when i "tuck under" (navel toward spine) in a "c-curve" it helps a lot.

also, cattail yoga pose which you do laying on the floor. it's a kind of back bend, but sideways in a way. when you view the pose, it looks like you're hurting yourself, but i found so much relief to my hips. this pose is on "Yin Yoga" with Paul Grilley. here's a picture:

https://www.melissawest.com/201/yin-...ling-its-tail/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
I had hip pain and glute pain that was sometimes gone but always came back to one side or the other from workouts, sitting, and sleeping. I started doing a section of Slim Series Tone It Up where Debbie is on her back with both legs in the air as she works inner thighs doing adduction. I changed it to abduction by using a small band around my ankles. I have been pain-free for over a whole lot of months now. Note that I tried doing this using heavy ankle weights and a band so I could also work the inner thighs but this turned out to be a cheat for the abduction part of the move.
Terry - thanks for the tip! i love slim series.

edited to add: I'm guessing that doing pilates ring moves would do the same - gonna pull mine out and do that.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-18, 12:11 PM  
winnie_p
VF Supporter

Melt, Classical Stretch and a good deep tissue massage therapist.
winnie_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-18, 01:47 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

My right hip bothers me from time to time. I was diagnosed with a shorter left leg, and when I don't add my orthotic lift, I definitely notice more pain!

Barre sometimes helps me as Jeannine described, BUT when I do a lot of standing reps on my right side (which I've been doing with my current HDM rotation), it can ache even more! So stretching during the workout is very important.

One routine that really helps my hips is the "Lower Back" segment from Debbie Seibers Total Body Solutions. The stretches address both low back and hips, and they feel great! I like to do foam rolling work too.

(Btw, my fave move from TBS is similar to the "cattail" that Jeannine posted, but your bottom leg stays straight, and you start rolled to the side of the bent like, both arms out, then rotate your torso and opposite arm away from that leg. Hope this makes sense!)

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-18, 01:50 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Found the move! Only difference is that I don't use the foam roller, and I keep my head on the ground throughout:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc3vLauiaaE

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-18, 02:06 PM  
fanofladyvols

This really gentle stretch feels good to me right now https://youtu.be/ipcis1qlQhc

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-18, 02:07 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Have you tried supported restorative yoga? Youtube has tons of videos to give you an idea of styles and teachers to explore.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-18, 11:57 AM  
Hsim

All your suggestions are great! It seems that I do a lot of similar stuff like foam rolling and stretching but looking back i think I've fallen off the wagon lately because I've been pressed for time. I used to always do the hip cleaners from Essentrics after running but I can't remember the last time I did that.
I do want to try restorative yoga - there are classes at a studio near me and I will be ordering Mimi Solaire's Deep Stretch next week. I was also looking at Paul Grilley but I think I will wait on that for a while.
Hsim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hip and glute pain