Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-22, 09:33 AM  
Carol K

I read March by Geraldine Brooks, about the father from Little Women's experience in the Civil War.
Old 08-19-22, 09:34 AM  
SpiritYogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
See Bee's comment below - everyone is different! Of King's recent books, I really liked The Institute as well as the Mr Mercedes trilogy.

Yes, clearly YMMV! I didn't dislike 11/22/63, but I thought the passages about the main character researching and observing Oswald were long and boring, and I just didn't enjoy it as much overall as others seem to.

I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but I've been reading a non-fiction book I'm enjoying, Confessions of a Comma Queen (attention grammar nerds!). I decided to finish it before starting another novel.
Okay, I'll leave Billy Summers on my list , and I'm adding Confessions of a Comma Queen. I'm constantly correcting my boyfriend's and co-worker's grammar (many who have a bachelor or masters degree...don't get me started on that!) so it is definitely a book I'll enjoy!
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-22, 09:52 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Yes, actually! Well, I'm enjoying the "peace" -- the "war" parts are a little slow and boring. Have you read it?
I haven't but try to read one "challenging" book each year so always interested to hear what people think of those.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-22, 10:43 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
Just finished The Second Life of Mirielle West by Amanda Skenandore. It was a very interesting read, set in the Carville leper colony in Louisiana in the 1920s.
Just finished The Undertaker’s Assistant from the same author. This one’s set in post-Civil War New Orleans. Just like the above book, it has some emotionally hard parts to read, but was interesting and drew me in.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-22, 12:41 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I've been reading but haven't had much to report on. Some real downer book club reads, meh Prime books, and an absolutely grim tome - Medicare for Dummies [roll eyes]. DH is turning 65 so we've got to figure it out.

My last book club read was All About Me by Mel Brooks. It was okay, funny in parts. Lots of details I began to skip over. What a life this man has led! All on his terms. But it was L-O-N-G. I did not know that Mel Brooks produced The Elephant Man.

The two best ones I've read recently are Kassandra Reinhardt's new release, Year of Yoga: Rituals for Every Day and Every Season. The other is one from the Amazon World Book Day ebook giveaways - The Easy Life in Kamusari by Shion Miura. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it, a coming of age story about a young man's adventures working in Japan's forestry program.

A bizarre read was Starvation Heights by Gregg Olson, a true story of two sisters who become imprisoned in a diet clinic run by a psychopathic woman who starves them - one literally to death and the other to within inches of it. I gave it three stars. It occurs in 1911, and was fascinating, but the trial at the end was so bogged down and overly long.

Not sure if I mentioned The Lobotomist's Wife by Samantha Greene Woodruff yet. Ack! Another true and bizarre story.

I'm hoping to get truly enraptured with something soon!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-22, 12:50 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
Just finished The Second Life of Mirielle West by Amanda Skenandore. It was a very interesting read, set in the Carville leper colony in Louisiana in the 1920s.
Ooh, that sounds right up my weird alley. Thanks!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-22, 01:12 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post

My last book club read was All About Me by Mel Brooks. It was okay, funny in parts. Lots of details I began to skip over. What a life this man has led! All on his terms.
I read this earlier this year and felt the same way. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I were more familiar with his work. My dad really loved some of his movies and also had a similar childhood so I enjoyed reading those parts the most. But, yes, what a life he has led!

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-22, 03:12 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
See Bee's comment below - everyone is different! Of King's recent books, I really liked The Institute as well as the Mr Mercedes trilogy.

I liked Mr. Mercedes but I don't think I read the other two in the trilogy. Out of curiosity, did you like Joyland or Under the Dome? I enjoyed both of those.
Old 08-19-22, 04:25 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
I liked Mr. Mercedes but I don't think I read the other two in the trilogy. Out of curiosity, did you like Joyland or Under the Dome? I enjoyed both of those.
I loved Joyland; Under the Dome I thought was just okay - I remember finding a lot of errors while reading it and behind disappointed in the ending.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-22, 05:33 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

On my Kindle app I'm reading:

A Place Beyond Courage by Elizabeth Chadwick. I read a lot of this book YEARS ago. It got set aside and I didn't finish it for some reason. I loved it back then and I love it now. It's a book about William Marshal, a knight in the 12th century. When I picked it up to re-read it, I found out that it's the first book in a series and I'll probably move beyond this first book.

The Emerald Affair by Janet MacLeod Trotter, a Prime Reading book. It's a Prime Reading book and found I am enjoying it. It's another historical novel about two English couples who went to India/Pakistan in the early 1900s.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, summer reading