Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-25-07, 06:38 AM  
jbear

ifit Pilates Reformer?

Does this look like an okay Pilates Reformer?

http://www.costco.ca/en-CA/Browse/Pr...opnav=&browse=
jbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-07, 07:09 AM  
kelsey211
VF Supporter

ifit reformer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbear
Does this look like an okay Pilates Reformer?
http://www.costco.ca/en-CA/Browse/Pr...opnav=&browse=
It certainly looks like it has everything that a Stamina reformer has but I thought I read some really negative reviews a few months ago (that it wasn't as sturdy as a Stamina). You might want to do a google search on it.
kelsey211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-07, 07:38 AM  
jbear

Thanks..

I'd love more feedback - I've been considering trying a Reformer for a while... I tried to find reviews but didn't have any luck.... I like that it comes with the carriage and the video - the Shopping Channel has one but I'm trying to determine if it comes with the carriage or not - and it doesn't have any instructional DVD/VHS with it that I can see - the prices are the same - $199!
Old 04-25-07, 07:49 AM  
snapfish45

Reformer vs. Supreme Pilates?

I'm hoping for more information also; I would like a reformer, but don't want to make a huge investment if I don't have too. I am also interested in the differences between a reformer or supreme pilates. I know there are a lot of people at VF that have Supreme Pilates. If they could give a breakdown, that would be great.

Snap out of it!
snapfish45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-07, 08:05 AM  
jbear

:(

I found reviews for the ifit solutions reformer at HSN - they were mixed but most of them were negative! I probably won't get this particular reformer... but am really interested in trying a decent reformer that doesn't cost a lot!
Old 04-25-07, 08:11 AM  
snapfish45

If you find one jbear, let me know!

Snap out of it!
Old 04-25-07, 01:38 PM  
kelsey211
VF Supporter

pilates reformer

I bought a Stamina about 10 years ago and it has held up pretty well. I think I paid about $400 for it but now there are different versions of their lower end performers at various price points. One thing I would recommend is getting one with a cardio rebounder which will give you a cardio workout. The box and pole is also great--the box makes your workout of the core even more intense. But if I had to choose between the rebounder or box, I would choose the box.

You should also consider the wide of the carriage which (for the Stamina machines) can range from 16 or 17 inches to 20 and 23 inches on up for the more expensive models. This may matter if you are a larger person or if your husband will also be using the machine. I think mine is over 20 inches wide which is very comfortable for me. Length of the carriage can also vary. I bought mine on QVC because of their reliability and excellent return policy. I just did a search on QVC for "pilates" and it came up with about 4 reformers for sale. You can also check the Stamina Products website to see what they have.

There's a forum on the Marjolein Lighter Living website which has alot of information and opinions about the Stamina reformers. (Marjolein Brugman is the lady who sells these reformers on QVC.)
http://lighterliving.com/members/for...wforum.php?f=1

I think Judith L also has a Stamina reformer so maybe she'll chime in on this. She had referred me to alot of great information on Pilates in general. A few months ago, there was a thread on Marjolein DVDs but there was also some discussion on the reformer.
http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=97997

Since the beginning of the year, I've been taking reformer classes and I absolutely love these classes. The classes have helped me finally "get" Pilates. It also has helped me do my at home workouts on the reformer much more efficiently and effectively. This is a little luxury that I don't plan on giving up any time soon.

I am currently looking to upgrade my reformer. Since working out in a Pilates studio, I really want a reformer with springs rather than bungee cords. This is what I've been drueling over recently:
http://www.pilates.com/BBAPP/V/equip...-reformer.html
Maybe hubby can get me this for my next birthday.

I also have the Supreme Pilates but to be honest, I haven't worked out on it very much, mainly because my current obsession is working out on the reformer. From the workouts that I've done so far on the Supreme Pilates, I do think the machine is very effective and I like the machine and I plan on using it in the future. I could be wrong but I think the Supreme Pilates will give your lower half a better workout while the reformer will give you more of a total body workout particularly the core area. With the reformer, using more resistance will work the particular body part (like legs, arms) but using less resistance will work the core area more. My Pilates instructor tells me the ultimate core workout is to use no resistance because you don't have the springs or bungee cord to bring the carriage back. You are using your core muscles to bring the carriage back (and that is tough).
Old 04-25-07, 01:48 PM  
snapfish45

Kelsey, Thanks so much for your detailed reply. I have been wanting to take reformer classes and your post made me want to even more! I live in central NJ and there are a few places I want to check out. I am a very careful buyer (teeth grinding slow) and want to know exactly what I want and need before I purchase. I am tall (5'9") so I would want to make sure any reformer I purchase is suitable for me. If anybody knows of any good pilates studios in NJ where they have reformer classes, feel free to make suggestions.

Snap out of it!
Old 04-25-07, 01:57 PM  
kelsey211
VF Supporter

reformer classes

I actually take my reformer classes at my gym, Sport and Health. But there's no clubs in your area. You might want to see if your local gyms offer pilates reformer classes. Pilates studios are really hard to come by. I think my classes are considered reasonable, $25 a class for gym members and about $35 a class for non-members.

My classes are limited to 5 (# of machines in class) so the instructor can really watch the students for form. Sometimes there's only 2 in a class. I love it when this happens because it's like taking a semi-private lesson and she can really work us hard then!
Old 04-25-07, 02:03 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapfish45
Kelsey, Thanks so much for your detailed reply. I have been wanting to take reformer classes and your post made me want to even more! I live in central NJ and there are a few places I want to check out. I am a very careful buyer (teeth grinding slow) and want to know exactly what I want and need before I purchase. I am tall (5'9") so I would want to make sure any reformer I purchase is suitable for me. If anybody knows of any good pilates studios in NJ where they have reformer classes, feel free to make suggestions.
I once took a private session at a local studio certified by Romana's Pilates, and I liked it. Here is what comes up for NJ on the Romana's pilates site.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote