Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-25-20, 02:32 PM  
Bchgrl42

An interesting discussion with my doc re: diet and exercise

First let me say, I LOVE my doctor. He always steers his patients to lifestyle changes before, as a last resort, prescribing medicines. He's very fit and definitely knows what he's talking about re: diet and exercise which is refreshing. Yesterday I met with him for my annual check up and broached the subject of weight gain lately. I have Hashimoto's so I am assuming it's related to that but we talked about diets and exercise. Since diet isn't allowed here I won't address this but this is what he said about exercise. An ideal schedule for weight loss is 150 mins of cardio per week and strength train each body part 2-3 times per week. He's not a big fan of barre type workouts but is a fan of Bodypump and does it himself on occasion. As we get older our metabolism slows, as most of us know and are experiencing. To counter that we need to build muscle. While full body strength training is ok, ideally for building muscle we should split it up in some way (upper/lower etc.) Full body would be good for maintenance. He also has major exercise ADD like I do and goes back and forth between types of strength training.
So I've been pretty lost lately and unmotivated but I've decided to take my doc's advice and concentrate more on true strength building using Cathe. My cardio was already at 150 mins/week.
Bchgrl42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-20, 02:38 PM  
fanofladyvols

If you don't already have a check-in then come join us on this one
http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=227692

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-20, 02:56 PM  
prettyinpink

Sounds like you have a good doctor.

The 150 minutes a week plus 2-3 days strength training is the standard recommendations for all adults from the American College of Sports Medicine, the US government, the American Heart Association, etc. It’s a shame that all doctors don’t tell that to all their patients. It isn’t just for weight loss, it’s for everyone.

That take on full body vs. splits is interesting. It seems like a simplified way to get something across to patients in a short amount of time. I think that the reality very much depends on exactly who you are and where you are in your fitness. I’ve never read or heard anything to suggest that this would be universal. I think whatever helps us stay motivated is super important.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-20, 02:57 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
If you don't already have a check-in then come join us on this one
http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=227692
And who is the enabler now?
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-20, 03:35 PM  
bfit

I think it's great that you have a doctor who is knowledgeable about fitness and is willing to spend time taking to you about it. That said, I think what's most important is that you find something that works for you because each person is different. Your doctor does Body Pump and has results with that, but that doesn't mean it will be the best for you. Personally, I've been doing barre (at a studio) 2x a week now for about 6 months, and I'm in the best muscle toning shape I've ever been in despite years of lifting weights before I started barre.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-20, 04:07 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post

That take on full body vs. splits is interesting. It seems like a simplified way to get something across to patients in a short amount of time. I think that the reality very much depends on exactly who you are and where you are in your fitness. I’ve never read or heard anything to suggest that this would be universal. I think whatever helps us stay motivated is super important.
This^^

Because I think what we need at any given mark in your journey could change. I think all the unweighted work I did previously helped prepare me to weight train. Doing full body/circuit to splits was a natural progression. But I may not always stay there.

I thoroughly enjoy weight training but my body leads me constantly to remember mobility so who knows what I'll do next year.

All I know is movement is good for me ..no matter what method I use.

Kittybug busting me

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-20, 05:14 PM  
Denise R
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bchgrl42 View Post
First let me say, I LOVE my doctor. He always steers his patients to lifestyle changes before, as a last resort, prescribing medicines. He's very fit and definitely knows what he's talking about re: diet and exercise which is refreshing. Yesterday I met with him for my annual check up and broached the subject of weight gain lately. I have Hashimoto's so I am assuming it's related to that but we talked about diets and exercise. Since diet isn't allowed here I won't address this but this is what he said about exercise. An ideal schedule for weight loss is 150 mins of cardio per week and strength train each body part 2-3 times per week. He's not a big fan of barre type workouts but is a fan of Bodypump and does it himself on occasion. As we get older our metabolism slows, as most of us know and are experiencing. To counter that we need to build muscle. While full body strength training is ok, ideally for building muscle we should split it up in some way (upper/lower etc.) Full body would be good for maintenance. He also has major exercise ADD like I do and goes back and forth between types of strength training.
So I've been pretty lost lately and unmotivated but I've decided to take my doc's advice and concentrate more on true strength building using Cathe. My cardio was already at 150 mins/week.

Isn't BodyPump full body?! Also did the doctor recommend splits versus full body? Just curious to his reasons behind it

"By far the most important application is those 18 inches between the table and your mouth. Your diet. Eat clean to get rid of fat." Robert Kennedy, Oxygen Magazine

"Having the body you want starts with loving the body you have." Mandy Ingber, Shape Magazine
Denise R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-20, 05:50 PM  
Bchgrl42

He does BodyPump on occasion but he's in amazing shape and doesn't have weight to lose. And he wasn't saying DON'T do full body, he just suggested that to build muscle its better to concentrate on a few body parts at a time as opposed to full body in one session. That's not the first time I've heard that before. Shoot, the fact he talked to me about diet, strength training and cardio training in the first place, regardless of whether it was 100% accurate, puts him head and shoulders above most doctors it seems.
Bchgrl42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-20, 09:33 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
I think it's great that you have a doctor who is knowledgeable about fitness and is willing to spend time taking to you about it. That said, I think what's most important is that you find something that works for you because each person is different. Your doctor does Body Pump and has results with that, but that doesn't mean it will be the best for you. Personally, I've been doing barre (at a studio) 2x a week now for about 6 months, and I'm in the best muscle toning shape I've ever been in despite years of lifting weights before I started barre.
Find something you love to do. I have Hashi's and I can no longer do extreme workouts like Body Pump, etc. I need gentle, full body workouts and yep I do a lot of Essentrics (of course), Ellen, Lee Holden, walking and Barre3. With Hashi's, stress is a huge trigger.

If you hate your workouts, you won't do them. Poke around a little.

PS diet is huge with autoimmune issues. PM if you want to talk more.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-20, 10:42 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bchgrl42 View Post
An ideal schedule for weight loss is 150 mins of cardio per week
Does anyone know if it really makes a difference (healthwise or for fat burning/weight loss) whether one does, for instance, 5 days @ 30 mins or 3 days @ 50 mins?
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exercise guidelines