Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-17-09, 06:10 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsi View Post
Hello all! Just popping in to post an introduction before I dive on in!

I'm 27 and just terribly out of shape. I'm the most un-athletic person I know, and always have been. About a month or so back I got turned on to fitness videos by way of stumbling across Leslie Sansone's Walk Away The Pounds book at the library. Since then I've been something of an addict, exercising as close to every day as possible. I'm an epic klutz, so it's been a challenge to find workouts that aren't too complicated for me. I can't do dance workouts to save my life!

Anyhow, I guess that's me... can't think of anything else to say.
Hi Betsi,

You took me back in time. When I stumbled across VF (7 years ago?), I was very out shape, very overweight, and totally klutzy. I went from exercising 1-2 days a week (sort of) to exercising 6 days a week - after reading for almost a week straight here. I couldn't have done a dance workout if I wanted to (and I had no desire to).

Welcome to VF! Hide your credit cards. Reading here can lead to spending. Feel free to jump in and ask questions. Also, be aware there is a check-in area. This area has smaller groups that check in on a regular basis. Every check in is open to anyone who wants to join and how much you participate is up to you. When I first joined VF, joining a check in really helped in keeping me exercising regularly and in helping me figure out what I could do with the small group I hooked up with. Anyway, just an idea.

Congrats on the progress you've already made! You're doing great.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-09, 04:29 PM  
new2me

HI Betsi, welcome!!!

The sudden precious moments in life need to be recognized for the unique periods they are, not wasted by wishing for something else. Edith Schaeffer
new2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-09, 07:25 AM  
Temeraire

Hi there!

I'm 25 and have been working out with videos since I was about 15 (a decade of vidocy!).

I was overweight when I first started, and lost about 30 lbs doing MTV's Advanced Workout with Keith Byard. In the past few years, I've really gotten into Sharon Mann's "The Works" series. I do something with Sharon every day, then add on with other instructors.

For a long time, I only did cardio because I felt that if I wasn't gasping, I wasn't working. Plus athletic, non-dancy hi-lo is my favorite type of workout.

But I've recently started regular strength training. My boyfriend bought me a great weight set -- dumbbells ranging from 1 to 15 lbs. At first I felt like I had to use them so his gift wouldn't go to waste. But now I love it -- and am seeing great results! I've also been trying to add in more pilates and yoga.

I'm pretty happy with my current fitness level. But as an apple shape, I'm constantly working to take off those last few inches of belly fat!
Temeraire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-09, 12:09 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Welcome! It sounds like you are in a good place with your exercising now. And, congrats on your 10 years of vidiocy. May I suggest that you hide your credit cards because hanging out here can lead to lots of spending!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 12-14-09, 12:15 PM  
lindseylu8

Hi Temeraire,
Welcome to VF!!!! I also LOVE Sharons The works set! I dont have the yoga/ pilates one but have the other 2. She has such a great energy in this set. And I love the mix and match options.

I also focused on cardio for a long time. Then found strength training and havent looked back.

I look forward to "geting to know you" on the board!

Lindsey

You can find a link to my fitness blog in my profile
lindseylu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-09, 02:44 PM  
new2me

Hi Temeraire, I'm late as usual, but welcome! Congratulations on your fitness gains, that's really great results!

The sudden precious moments in life need to be recognized for the unique periods they are, not wasted by wishing for something else. Edith Schaeffer
Old 12-23-09, 08:58 AM  
mena

Hi Everyone,

I have been a lurker here for a very long time. I have learned a lot and enjoyed the discussions so I decided to de-lurk.

I'm 38 years old and have been working out at home on and off for a long time. My first video was Jane Fonda's New Workout which I got when I was in high school. I still have it but no longer have a VCR to play it!

My favorites are Cathe (didn't pre-order Shock Cardio and now I regret it), Jari Love, and The Firm. For variety, I also like to do a Tae Bo, Leslie walking workout, or a yoga dvd on occasion. My guilty pleasure is Richard Simmons workouts. They are fun and it is nice to have to modifty to add intensity for a change.

I look forward to actually posting now instead of just lurking!
mena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-09, 11:51 AM  
lindseylu8

Hi Mena!
Welcome!!!! Its nice to "meet" you

I also like Richard Simmons-hes a hoot! Ahhh the guilty pleasures of vidiot life

Lindsey

You can find a link to my fitness blog in my profile
lindseylu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-09, 05:52 PM  
new2me

Hi Mena, welcome out of lurkville!

Old 12-27-09, 03:00 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Mena - It was nice to roll back into town and find you coming out of lurkdom. I hope you have a good time posting around the new year!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Tags
former sticky, how did you find vf, introductions, new members, new to vf, new user, sticky thread