Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-29-04, 04:53 PM  
Daphne M

The Body Blasts - do they grow on you?

When the Body Blasts were first released, I liked them, but I didn't love them. (Note: Except for Legs and Glutes, I ed L&G.) I sprinkled them into my workouts, but I continued to stay faithful to my more favored Cathe strength workouts: Muscle Endurance, the pyramids, Slow & Heavy, et al.

Somewhere along the way, the BBs must have gotten their hooks into me though. Glancing at my workout log for the last few months, I realized that 75 percent of my strength workouts are some variation of the BBs. Most shocking of all: on Monday, I found myself enjoying Supersets -- a workout that used to drive me to distraction because of the equipment changes and silly lyrics. What is UP with this sea change?!!

It seems I can find a Body Blast -- or a BB premix -- to suit every mood amd amount of time. Got 10 minutes? How about the ab workout from Kick Punch and Crunch? (My favorite ever, because it's easy by Cathe standards. ) Perhaps it's the length of the workouts and the variety of premixes, but there's something about them that's just plain, um, fun. I like the music, which is sort of frivolous and silly. It makes me happy to blast out the songs and sing along while I roll around on the ball with a couple of dumbbells waiting for Cathe to tell me what I am supposed to do. I like the colorful workout tops. I like the explosive lunges. I like the variety and the fact that I can never remember which body part she is going to work next. I just plain like them. Which is weird and so very NOT me! The real me likes straight-forward, I-know-what's-coming-next, slow-paced, work-to- exhaustion workouts. At least that's what I *thought* I liked.

So do they grow on you? Or ... could it be ME that's changing? What if I suddenly find myself liking the Classic FIRMs or something? Am I one step away from wearing Anna Benson black thongs at all times??????? AAACKKKK!!!!
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-04, 05:04 PM  
Rhae
Exchange Moderator

I don't know, Daphne, but you're cracking me up. I guess I'd have to say it is you that's changing . I've never tried PP or SS since they have equipment that I don't have. I have tried the other Body Blasts and it has taken a while of preview, watch, rewind, slow motion--but, I really like them now and it is growing into loving them . (Not quite to how much I like the Intensity Series yet, but it is getting there.)

I prefer the kind of workout you mentioned--straightforward so I know what is coming. But, I do know that I am not ever going to like the classic Firms or any other sculpt/strength Firms. I tried one last week and true to form, I did not like it and the disorganization of it really got on my nerves.
Old 12-29-04, 05:10 PM  
weener
VF Supporter

I love the BB series from the first time I did them. I love every workout Cathe has done.

Christina
weener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-04, 05:18 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Hi Daphne. I loved this series from the beginning also. Lately, I've been doing Cardio and Weigths at least once a week! This is the workout that I'm loving the most lately.

The main reason why I don't get rid of workouts is because it is "ME" that changes. I'm always so grateful that when I'm feeling the desire to do a particular workout, it's there waiting for me.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-04, 05:37 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

I'm doing a lot of BB's right now, but I've always liked them...while the IS is definitely tougher and simpler, the BB's have a fun factor that makes them easy to like

Now I love the Firm Classics...but don't hold your breath waiting to see ME in a black (or any color) thong And I'll admit, all the equipment changes can drive anyone to drink!!!
Old 12-29-04, 05:39 PM  
cmiyachi

I'm doing a Body Blast rotation this week. I love this series. When the first came out I liked them a lot but I'm really loving them now. I think there is so much new material in here! I even did Timesaver a few weeks ago when I was short on time and there is new footage in that.

Some of the complaints puzzled me about these (like these are the same old same old - ) but I can understand the equipment changes - they do have that.

The premixes are awesome too - I love doing the longer ones when I am up for it.

I have a professional relationship with web sites that sell yoga downloads.
cmiyachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-04, 06:40 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiyachi
Some of the complaints puzzled me about these (like these are the same old same old - ) but I can understand the equipment changes - they do have that.
I can't recall the "same old/same old" complaint being made about the BB workouts, but I know that quite a few people commented that they are "too easy" or that there are too many equipment changes. The "same old/same old" complaint was made more recently in regards to the descriptions of the new Hardcore workouts.

I think SS and PP have a lot of potential. I particularly like the multiple set upper-body premixes. I like using stability balls in resistance training, and I've found that these kind of workouts can actually become more challenging the more you do them. Maybe recruiting more muscle fibers, or being better able to focus on the particular muscle that is being worked?

On legs and glutes, I found the floor work to be very wimpy compared to Firm floor work or even Slim series. One set of side-lying kickouts? One set of kickbacks?

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-04, 06:45 PM  
Andrea
VF Supporter

I would say it's you. The only thing I love about the BBs are the abs from KPC and SJP. I've done SS and PP many times, but they still aren't my favorites.

Of course, the only thing growing on me right now is these darn chips and dip I'm eating!

Andrea
Old 12-29-04, 07:00 PM  
Sharonm
VF Supporter

Body Blasts

I really tried to like the BB series but I wound up getting rid of them all. Even KPC wasn't great enough to make me want to keep it. I love Cardiokicks better. Slow/Heavy Legs, to me is much better than Legs and Glutes. I sure hope the Hardcores are more to my liking because it's been awhile since I've really loved Cathe's new stuff. Her Basic Step and Fusion is the only ones I kept from her newest. That's just not like this Cathe-ite.

ACE Group Fitness Instructor
Fit 4 Life
Sharonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-04, 08:09 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

So maybe that's it...we change.

I think we all evolve and change as we grow in our fitness quests. The workouts that we loved we now can barely face again...the ones we thought we'd never be tempted by, we reach for all the time. I'm learning more about modifying any workout to suit me, whether it's to up the intensity or to sub a move I can do for one my body just won't do. My tastes may be eclectic, but I've become a more discerning consumer and exerciser.

Cathe's taken a lot of heat about the BB's not being tough enough. I guess considering the intensity of the IS, that can be expected. I for one welcomed the changes and find them to be as challenging (maybe due to the newer moves and routines?) as I want them to be.