Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-17, 08:09 PM  
Lisa C
VF Supporter

Cleda, how does a Raid start? Does someone decide or is it something in the program that makes it happen automatically by Niantic? I was thinking yesterday how I've walked by many, many gyms that have raids going on, but I never ever see anyone near them. Could one or or two people do a raid or do you need a group to be successful?

Funnily enough this morning I stopped at Walgreens and I saw about 10 people in the parking lot where I know there is a Gym. They were all standing in the corner poking at their phones. I thought that must be a raid! I looked on my phone and it was. First time I've ever seen a group. I should have stopped and talked to them, but of course I did not.
Old 08-21-17, 07:01 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I"m one of those people that likes mainly to collect the Pokemon, too. I knew about the trainer, but haven't used it to its full potential. I need to get rid of the decent ones and below. I just recently discovered that I could trade in Pokemon, so I have been getting rid of some of the more common ones.

Lisa - Would the group have been annoyed to be interrupted while fighting? I don't "get" the fighting yet, so I don't know. It's interesting you made that connection.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-17, 07:58 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I just parked my first Pokemon at a gym, oboy. So now I will get coins, right?

Do any of you name your Pokemon? My daughter likes to name them but I hardly ever see others with names.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-17, 09:02 PM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Renaming Pokemon

I rename them - but mostly by their category - I put an "A" at the end if they are amazing. "s" if they are Strong. "AXL if they are Amazing and Extra Large" "XS if they are Extra small. If I want to use them as battlers in Raids, I put a 1 in front of their name and then when I sort my Pokemon by "Combat Power" they are in the beginning (Alphabetical and high powered). So yes. I do rename them. But others have renamed them cute names, etc.

Lisa: If you look at the PokeMap ... you will see a timer on top of the gym. That shows there is a raid going on and you can go into it at any time provided the timer is still going. You can only defeat it ONCE though. They "pop" throughout the day at different gyms. Usually lasting an hour to 2 hours. You can go into them and fight, but the legendaries need more than 1 person (usually 5-20 depending on the people's levels). You are only allowed up to 20 people in one raid. So if there's more, we frequently split into teams (valor, mystic, instinct) so that we get the ball bonuses. And yes, if they were tapping their screens, they were already in the battle. That's when (for us -) Discord comes in handy. They announce they'll be at a raid, we say we're on our way and how long we'll be before we get there and they wait. Otherwise, there's less people. There are many low level raids also (Magicarp, quelava, Croconaw, Bayleef) and a lot of times I can do them myself or dh and I do them. Each raid requires a "raid pass" . (I also check Gymhntr) ....

Every day you go in a gym and spin and you get a free raid pass. You can only carry one free raid pass at a time, so if you don't use it today, it's still good tomorrow, but you can't get a new one for tomorrow (until you use today's.) After you use the one free raid pass, you do have to buy more passes if you are doing more than one raid a day. If you battle a gym and don't beat the raid monster, you can continue to go into the raid and REraid until that raid is over and it's STILL on the same Raid pass. (But you do go through a lot of potients healing/reviving them after battle!)

After everyone is done poking their cell phones, then you get the bonus balls and that's when you'll see the same people who were poking their phones now using their finger to swipe up (one method of throwing the ball) or doing curve balls) to try and catch the raid boss. Defeating the gym is only half the battle (and the easier half) catching the raid boss is difficult. Everyone has a method,e tc, etc. you actually get more XP points if you catch (any) pokemon on the first throw, extra points for curve balls .... I've never mastered the curve ball, try as I may!

The maximum you can get from leaving pokemen in gyms is 50 coins a day. It goes by time now. 8 hours yields 50 coins. But they do add up. If you go into your "items" under Revives ... you'll see the pokemon that was returned to you. You have to revive him and then give him some potients. Unless you use a MAX revive and then he's good to go.

There's tons more - items, things received from raids, etc ... but like kids and the birds & the bees - when you're ready for more - YOU'LL ASK!!! tee-hee Otherwise, it's kind of overwhelming.

Laura: When you say "trade" do you mean transfer them to the professor for candy? (I only ask because rumor has it that somewhere down the road Niantic will make it so we can "trade" actual pokemon so say I have a Mr. Mime (which I don't!) I could trade with someone to get a pokemon I don't have in my collection . . . . .

Sue: Pokemon Go is how I got dh outside and at least walking. It counts for something!!! So I can definitely see the good in it ....

Bubbles: it is time consuming. We watch the weather report and then go out pokemon hunting. It REALLY has been time consuming with the LEgendaries being out, but that won't last forever and it's summer, so we're taking advantage of it. And originally no one had any clue that they would be BACK out for a whole month before disappearing. Originally they were out for a week for each bird. . . so we were scrambling to catch them before they "went away". I had mostly bad luck catching any legendaries or raid pokemon for that matter this weekend and that's disappointing and frustrating. . . .But alas! we have those weeks. I still got some steps in ....

That's it for this installment!
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-17, 09:02 PM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Oh and Lookey Lookey at this

I am intrigued:

http://comicbook.com/gaming/2017/08/...-philadelphia/

Cleda
Old 08-22-17, 07:05 AM  
Lisa C
VF Supporter

Sue, You can get 1 coin for each 10 minutes. You can get a maximum of 50 coins a day, regardless of how many pokemon you place in gyms.

You get the coins when your pokemon is defeated and returned to you.

It is definitely worth it to look at all the gyms you pass by to see if you can get one in there. Sometimes if the team is your team and there is an opening (less than 6 pokemon) you can just add one of yours without any effort or battling.

If the gym is controlled by another team I look and see how many pokemon are in there and the level of their motivation (hearts). It is really not hard to defeat a gym now unless there are 5-6 pokemon in there with full motivation/hearts. In that case I move on.

It takes at most 3 battles per pokemon to defeat a pokemon in the gym. (Although some super strong pokemon can't be defeated in the 100seconds max time.) So if the motivation/hearts are low even on 6 pokemon in a gym, you can defeat it pretty quickly. I tend to try to get my pokemon in gyms a few times a week and I usually get a couple in there at a time. Sometimes they are returned immediately and I get 0 coins and sometimes I get them a day or two later and get 50 coins. I am averaging about free 100-200 coins a week that way.

Cleda, I did go in to a Raid one time with my pass, but then I got scared and left. I will try again some day. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-22-17, 08:13 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Lisa, thanks for the tips. Sure wish I'd known this sooner - all the coins I have left on the table

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-17, 02:02 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Cleda - Yeah, I meant "transfer" rather than "trade". They both start with a "T".

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-17, 07:30 PM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

We used to say to my father all the time:

"Dad - we asked what time it is, NOT how to fix the watch." ... LOL

Beautifully stated Lisa and in a lot less words than I used. Bravo!

My luck has been AWFUL with raids lately. I've beaten the gym but not able to catch the raid boss. So frustrating. I'm talking 4 days now. grrrrrrr.

Cleda
Old 08-22-17, 07:43 PM  
Lisa C
VF Supporter

For example, I went for a short 20 minute walk at a park near my work at lunch. One gym had a spot open for my Yellow team so I put mine in the gym without having to do anything. The other had a single Pokemon with an almost empty heart. I was able to defeat that Pokemon and place mine in the gym without even pausing my walk. One Pokemon was returned to me 45 minutes later (4 coins) and the second was returned after dinner and I got the remaining 46 daily coins. No effort, and 50 free coins. (1/3 of an egg incubator.)

This game is silly, but figuring out the little things you can do like this is fun for me. It did keep me walking all summer while I was renovating a bathroom in my house and didn't have time for real workouts.

Tags
active gaming, apps, pokemon, pokemon go, walking apps